bubble algae killing me

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a small view of the amount of bubble algae in my tank. It is completely gone after using Vibrant -- I bought it Sept 2nd, 2017 and it took about 2 months to fully clear out. I ended up dosing every 3-4 days -- so it was a fairly heavy dose.

The negative impact was that I believe it, in combo with the GFO I was running, stripped nutrients pretty heavily. I saw an impact on some LPS. I lost a goniopora I had going for 3 years, a Favia and an Acan also started losing tissue.

However it completely wiped the bubble algae out -- it has been about 4 months since I used up the bottle and I haven't seen anything return.

Did you just dose in accordance with directions?

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - I had to bump it up to a dose every 3-4 days to see an impact.

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - I had to bump it up to a dose every 3-4 days to see an impact.

sorry i wasn't clear ... i think directions are 1 ml per 10 g ... is that the amount you dosed each time? i see your frequency was every 3-4 days but did you dose the amount it recommended?

mpjmeyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using Vibrant for my bubble algae and had a bad cyano outbreak that I'm still battling. I stopped using it and started Chemiclean to clear up that mess which still hasn't dispersed yet. I've also heard that you can expect a cyano outbreak from Vibrant, but after a few doses, the Vibrant will eventually kill it off so I started back up yesterday and am already noticing some cyano in spots. Thoughts?

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry i wasn't clear ... i think directions are 1 ml per 10 g ... is that the amount you dosed each time? i see your frequency was every 3-4 days but did you dose the amount it recommended?

Ah - it was a while ago. I believe I was dosing almost a 2x dose. 65g tank and I believe I rounded up to 10ml dose.

I dosed by the book for the first few weeks then gradually increased it. Eventually I started seeing bubbles falling off and others turning white and actually encrusting in coralline =)

As for cyano, I can't speak to that. I major dosed it and didn't see anything.

But my tank was also fairly mature at the point of doing this. I had been unsuccessfully fighting bubble algae and red turf for years.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back