BUBBLE ALGAE HELP

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
API algaefix, 1/3 of the cost and not produced by a garbage company

No, it will not. But it will knock it out in about 6-8 weeks of consistant dosing at 3 day intervals along with an initial large manual removal. Again, don't use that brand.

OP, check out my thread here, as I just went through this myself. You're fighting an uphill battle.

While every rock was not covered, I did have Bubble Algae pretty bad and it was gone 48 hours after dosing Vibrant as directed by the bottle.

MariahP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh OP I’m having the same issue. I can’t get it to go away for the life of me. My tank is too small for a foxface or a tang and emerald crabs aren’t doing it. Let me know if you find something that helps!

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
crush the bubble algae between your fingers to assert ur species dominance

and I mean that really. Just crush it all, it'll die off. That's what I did. There's no magical ratio to prevent bubble algae.
It’s not that it’ll die off, but it removes the factor that prevents most fish and cuc from eating it.

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant recommends 8-12 weeks of dosing for bubble to disappear.

In my experience with the product in a SPS-dominated tank, the short term results look fine, but long term effects are a pain (e.g., cyno, hair, pod reduction).

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah OK. So I will buy vibrant as well. I'll dose some vibrant, nopox, and get a foxface and scrub the algae. Try and hit it hard for a short time. See if I can't dissipate it down

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my understanding from reading up on it it's because the company that marketed it just flat out lied about what was in vibrant.
I'm seeing it has killed sps, chaeto, and inverts and I have alot of all 3. So now I'm think just scrub the hell out of them, get as much as I can in the water column, get a fox face, and hit it with nopox

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah OK. So I will buy vibrant as well. I'll dose some vibrant, nopox, and get a foxface and scrub the algae. Try and hit it hard for a short time. See if I can't dissipate it down
Buy API Algaefix instead, they are at least honest about the fact it is an algaecide.
I wouldn't support liars like the promoter of Vibrant.

FWIW I have used API algaefix and it did the job of controlling GHA for me and didn't harm anything in the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all!
I'm back for some wisdom. After doing lots of research, the main suggestions for bubble algae were emerald crabs, skimmer, filtration, or chemicals (prefer not to use). A coral colony I purchased local had bubble algae on it and it has taken over my tank. For 3 months I have tried scraping, emerald crabs, decreased feeding etc. My nitrates are at 4 and phosphate nearly undetectable thanks to acarbon/phos reactor. Emerald crabs were trying to eat my high value sps which was a no go for me. Any idea would be greatly appreciated!

20240131_133039.jpg 20240131_133037.jpg 20240131_133034.jpg
Take a small needle and have 3/8 tubing ready and attach to end of tubing with rubber band and pop each one and siphon at same time- You will have removed all spores and foreign material in area.
Had to do this in the past with birdsnest coral and was gone 100%.
Other option is to add pitho crabs or emerald crabs (which I do not trust) which will eat them

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a small needle and have 3/8 tubing ready and attach to end of tubing with rubber band and pop each one and siphon at same time- You will have removed all spores and foreign material in area.
Had to do this in the past with birdsnest coral and was gone 100%.
Other option is to add pitho crabs or emerald crabs (which I do not trust) which will eat them
I don't trust them either, as I have watched them eat my SPS :/ is there maybe a video link for instruction on this? Having trouble visualizing the reference. Thought about scraping the heml out of them during the water change to help

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't trust them either, as I have watched them eat my SPS :/ is there maybe a video link for instruction on this? Having trouble visualizing the reference. Thought about scraping the heml out of them during the water change to help
I dont have a video but simple rubberband a pin to air line tubing and start a siphon into bucket and as you poke each bubble, you can vacuum up the matter from the bubble. Scraping and siphon will also work

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a video but simple rubberband a pin to air line tubing and start a siphon into bucket and as you poke each bubble, you can vacuum up the matter from the bubble. Scraping and siphon will also work
Tracking ok gotcha. I will try that tomorow, start hitting some nopox and make a swing at getting a foxface. Thankcyou all! I'll post updates here in coming weeks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back