Bubble Algae is taking over :(

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve posted my experience a few times - here‘s the short version. I have a 75 gallon display. I popped and popped for several months. Added Foxface and emerald crabs. No help. Eventually removed all rock and scrubbed with peroxide. Had to redo rockscape. But it killed the bubble algae.

Long story short, there’s still some bubble algae in the system, but now that they are small the crabs (I think they are still there, I don’t see them) and the Foxface keep it mostly in check. I scrape a few when I do my weekly water change, but it’s manageable. Maybe I’ll order some Pithos and see if they fully eradicate it.

I didn’t want to take the chance on chemicals.

I’m in the camp that popping doesn’t cause spread. The crabs and Foxface pop them to eat them, right?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. There was a thread a while back - discussing 'do you just pop the bubbles, or try to remove them'. I just popped them. The 'seeds' - tend to just get skimmed off. The other question is what are your parameters that are encouraging bubble algae over coral, etc
There. Are. No. "Seeds"!!!!!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s an article that states you can pop them and not have adverse affects, spores won’t spread or get into the water column…..and it’s not like you can scrape these things off the rock easily. I just poked mine…didn’t smash or try to rip them off….they eventually shriveled up. And my emerald crab needs to start paying rent cuz it’s useless!
And, there are no spores!!

Toff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole is also an option. Dosage needs to be 2-3x normal to really do it, but has been effective for me and others with minimal side effects for other livestock.
Thinking about it, this does make sense. I have bubble algae and an army of emerald crabs…and bubble algae. I’ll give the Flux RX a go and see. Thanks for the tip!

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, what do you think an emerald crab does to a bubble algae when it eats it? Definitely ruptures it into the water column.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lil in all my tanks….I use a plastic fork and just pop them or scrape it off … I follow up with a lil peroxide …
Urchins will also sometimes eat it or Rather I always only see it where my urchin hasn’t/cant graze
…..so there is a “possible” correlation …

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 25

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And, there are no spores!!
Spores and "seeds" is easier to understand for most people than 'rhizoids':). Point being that when they burst, pieces of the old algae can form new areas.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly most of the best control species like rabbitfish and larger tangs don't work long term in a 75. Certain algae crabs like pithos and emerald and manual removal are usually your best options. Be aware pithos crabs are likely to frag a lot of your softies to wear as camouflage if you have them

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thinking about it, this does make sense. I have bubble algae and an army of emerald crabs…and bubble algae. I’ll give the Flux RX a go and see. Thanks for the tip!
It does not make sense. The tank will filter out much of the bubble algae 'parts - some concerned with what they are named) - this is not a big deal - pop them and move on

Lollipop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for bubble algae, razor did a great job! i highly recommend it

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still wrong. They don't contain "rhizoids" either.
Feel free to correct me lol:). "Reproduction occurs by segregative cell division, where the multinucleate parent cell makes child cells, and individual rhizoids form new bubbles, which become separate from the parent cell".

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back