Bubble Algae is taking over :(

Tezzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

bubble algae is starting to take over my tank :(
I have reduced feeding already, introduced 3 emerald crabs, started removing manually but its still spreading like a weed
I would love to introduce a fish to combat it but I only have a reefer 170 so cant get a fox face or anything like that to help as itll out grow its home quickly
Any tips?

Thanks

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pitho crabs are supposedly much more likely to eat bubble algae than emerald crabs.

My Foxface devastated a bubble algae outbreak. I have no clue how many gallons a Reefer 170 is, and I know it's not ideal, but maybe a small Foxface that you can rehome down the road?

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pitho crabs. I’ve rarely seen emerald crabs eat bubble algae, and emeralds also have a tendency to be trouble makers.

I got my first Pitho crabs about 6 months ago and I’m a huge fan. They really do eat bubble algae, and do it quickly. And they are peaceful and look cool.

IMG_1128.jpeg

OP
OP
Tezzie

Tezzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pitho crabs are supposedly much more likely to eat bubble algae than emerald crabs.

My Foxface devastated a bubble algae outbreak. I have no clue how many gallons a Reefer 170 is, and I know it's not ideal, but maybe a small Foxface that you can rehome down the road?

A Redsea Reefer 170 is about 40 Gallons total volume, the display is basically a 24 inch cube. I was thinking of finding the smallest fox face I can and once my problems are solved to rehome it

OP
OP
Tezzie

Tezzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pitho crabs. I’ve rarely seen emerald crabs eat bubble algae, and emeralds also have a tendency to be trouble makers.

I got my first Pitho crabs about 6 months ago and I’m a huge fan. They really do eat bubble algae, and do it quickly. And they are peaceful and look cool.

IMG_1128.jpeg
Yea I'm not a huge fan of the emeralds either. I have never heard of a pitho crab before... is there another name for them? I just checked the online sites for a couple local places and cant find a listing

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, rehoming a fish is never easy, but then again maybe since it will be small someone will want it.

To start, I’d go with the pitho crab/s. Cheaper, and never need rehomed…to a point

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole is also an option. Dosage needs to be 2-3x normal to really do it, but has been effective for me and others with minimal side effects for other livestock.

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole is also an option. Dosage needs to be 2-3x normal to really do it, but has been effective for me and others with minimal side effects for other livestock.
I did this with my tank not long ago and it worked wonders for me with no effect on corals or livestock.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Redsea Reefer 170 is about 40 Gallons total volume, the display is basically a 24 inch cube. I was thinking of finding the smallest fox face I can and once my problems are solved to rehome it
Once you re home the chances that it comes back is pretty good.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of finding the smallest fox face I can and once my problems are solved to rehome it
I came here to suggest this. It will be easier if you have a local shop that supplies the fish and lets you trade it back later for something else you like instead.
I have a local shop that's very willing to do things like this, but I understand it's not an option for everyone.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone,

bubble algae is starting to take over my tank :(
I have reduced feeding already, introduced 3 emerald crabs, started removing manually but its still spreading like a weed
I would love to introduce a fish to combat it but I only have a reefer 170 so cant get a fox face or anything like that to help as itll out grow its home quickly
Any tips?

Thanks
So. There was a thread a while back - discussing 'do you just pop the bubbles, or try to remove them'. I just popped them. The 'seeds' - tend to just get skimmed off. The other question is what are your parameters that are encouraging bubble algae over coral, etc

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. There was a thread a while back - discussing 'do you just pop the bubbles, or try to remove them'. I just popped them. The 'seeds' - tend to just get skimmed off. The other question is what are your parameters that are encouraging bubble algae over coral, etc
At one point I had at least 100 of those stupid things…I popped every one of them then got an emerald crab….they never came back….not saying they won’t but I’ve been free of those things for over 8 months…

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At one point I had at least 100 of those stupid things…I popped every one of them then got an emerald crab….they never came back….not saying they won’t but I’ve been free of those things for over 8 months…
Same here

jstabile316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve dealt with bubble algae so many times, best way to deal with it is to remove as much as you can by hand lower nutrients and get a few emerald crabs to keep in check. They usually only eat bubble algae when it’s small. Flux rx has worked for me when I was battling briopsis it also killed the little bubble algae I had.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would not recommend Flux Rx - assuming its fluconazole

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'm not a huge fan of the emeralds either. I have never heard of a pitho crab before... is there another name for them? I just checked the online sites for a couple local places and cant find a listing

I do not think they have another name, just Pitho crabs. Reef Cleaners is the only place that I have ever seen them. Ordering the pithos was the first time ordering with them, John was really nice and helpful. I was very happy (and have been a customer since).

Here’s the link:

FYI, their restock notifications actually work and have been useful for me in the past!

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend Flux Rx - assuming its fluconazole
It is, but do you have a reason why? To my knowledge it's been used quite widely and safely - I've been one of the few people I've been able to find to report problems with it, and those were short time losses of viable eggs on shrimp and fish that did not persist beyond the treatment period.

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally popped mine and that was a huge mistake. I had an outbreak all over my tank!
There’s an article that states you can pop them and not have adverse affects, spores won’t spread or get into the water column…..and it’s not like you can scrape these things off the rock easily. I just poked mine…didn’t smash or try to rip them off….they eventually shriveled up. And my emerald crab needs to start paying rent cuz it’s useless!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back