Canister Only.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Freenow54
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Freenow54

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 5, 2021
Messages
7,577
Reaction score
6,046
Location
Ontario Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mind is leaving . I now Understand why some as I have done on one Tank am using a Canister only . I did that only because of its size 40G. Now I see the benefit for Large Tanks forgoing a Sump. There is Zero chance of a water overflow. That said the only benefit to a sump is to add more filtration , water top off / changes , and dosing , and not having any HOB equipment . So which is more important ?
 
I have been running my 65 on canisters for years! So has many reefers on R2R with 100% success. I have no preference to sump or canister. It’s what I had and made it work for me. Anyone who says one is “better” than the other in my opinion is incorrect. As a matter of fact when I upgrade in the next few months I’m going sump as my original equipment is getting old and would cost me just about the same if I went sump less.
 
My mind is leaving . I now Understand why some as I have done on one Tank am using a Canister only . I did that only because of its size 40G. Now I see the benefit for Large Tanks forgoing a Sump. There is Zero chance of a water overflow. That said the only benefit to a sump is to add more filtration , water top off / changes , and dosing , and not having any HOB equipment . So which is more important ?

Personally, I would say sump, mainly because of a refugium. That allows a safe place for copepods and various micro and bacterial organism to flourish. To me it’s less of a nutrient export system and more of a bio engine that fuels the biodiversity of your system. Has a ton of ecological benefits, helps with fish and coral health as well as decreasing risks for dino and nuisance algae outbreaks.
If leaking is a concern, you can always get a leak detection system, usually requiring a controller. But of course, that’s more money and more equipment lol.
But ultimately it’s about preference and water quality. If canister aligns with your preference and you can maintain parameters, I say go for it.
 
I have been running my 65 on canisters for years! So has many reefers on R2R with 100% success. I have no preference to sump or canister. It’s what I had and made it work for me. Anyone who says one is “better” than the other in my opinion is incorrect. As a matter of fact when I upgrade in the next few months I’m going sump as my original equipment is getting old and would cost me just about the same if I went sump less.
Well Without really Thinking , I made my own sump only because I hate HOB stuff . The fact that because you have a closed loop with Canisters adds a risk . That is all I am saying .
 
Personally, I would say sump, mainly because of a refugium. That allows a safe place for copepods and various micro and bacterial organism to flourish. To me it’s less of a nutrient export system and more of a bio engine that fuels the biodiversity of your system. Has a ton of ecological benefits, helps with fish and coral health as well as decreasing risks for dino and nuisance algae outbreaks.
If leaking is a concern, you can always get a leak detection system, usually requiring a controller. But of course, that’s more money and more equipment lol.
But ultimately it’s about preference and water quality. If canister aligns with your preference and you can maintain parameters, I say go for it.
Things I did not consider which is the reason for the post. I have made my own sump , and drilled my Tank so am Committed , or should be like us all 😃 . Thanks
 
I don't care for the look of equipment hanging on to the back and sides of my tank. That's all.

I even have my lights hanging from the ceiling so there is no frame work sitting on top.

I've had every form of hang-on equipment there is in the past. My tastes have changed.
 
I don't care for the look of equipment hanging on to the back and sides of my tank. That's all.

I even have my lights hanging from the ceiling so there is no frame work sitting on top.

I've had every form of hang-on equipment there is in the past. My tastes have changed.
I added fans to my lighting system it looks industrial . I am trying to come up with a DIY canopy made with acrylic which is feeding friendly. Its tough at this point
1000003220.jpg
 
So basically equipment is up top (except canister filter and covered with canopy. I do have hygger fans at top of canopy to circulate air around lights
 
Here is what I made
Very Nice Evil1! That is a good way to hide the gear w/o a sump!

My mind is leaving . I now Understand why some as I have done on one Tank am using a Canister only . I did that only because of its size 40G. Now I see the benefit for Large Tanks forgoing a Sump. There is Zero chance of a water overflow. That said the only benefit to a sump is to add more filtration , water top off / changes , and dosing , and not having any HOB equipment . So which is more important ?
I've used canisters of various types, HOB filters, and sumps. They all have their place, and any of them can work, but I'm in the sump crowd now just because I like to hide all my junk down there.

Plus, I use it as a time-out area for rocks with algae and misbehaving critters.
 
Very Nice Evil1! That is a good way to hide the gear w/o a sump!


I've used canisters of various types, HOB filters, and sumps. They all have their place, and any of them can work, but I'm in the sump crowd now just because I like to hide all my junk down there.

Plus, I use it as a time-out area for rocks with algae and misbehaving critters.
I will be in the sump crowd as well when I upgrade to Eshops 130 or 180 within the next year. I will be running the canister on the new sump tank to seed it with all the good stuff growing on the bio blocks in it for a while
 
In theory, I'd prefer a sump, but have never had one.
Mainly to hide equipment and/or easily add things like reactors if ever desired.
Also, maybe as a place for a couple of non-reef safe inverts.

That said, my current tank is at just about 5 years with just an HOB filter and no skimmer.
Doing fine but if/when I upgrade, I'll go with a sump.
 
In theory, I'd prefer a sump, but have never had one.
Mainly to hide equipment and/or easily add things like reactors if ever desired.
Also, maybe as a place for a couple of non-reef safe inverts.

That said, my current tank is at just about 5 years with just an HOB filter and no skimmer.
Doing fine but if/when I upgrade, I'll go with a sump.
I think hobs are underrated. Nothing cool about them and they don't need tinkering so it gets boring lol.
One of my hob tanks.
PXL_20250206_233757081.jpg
 
IMG_2032.jpeg
IMG_2033.jpeg

Here is what I made
This reminds me of lifting the hood on a race car to see what is hidded there! Nice canopy!

Nice tank, too many tangs for some folks but we will pretend that no one else can see this feature.
 
I have had a sump on most of my tanks for many years. Canisters, if they lose power for an extended period are prone to going anoxic, and possibly could dump a bit of bilge water into a tank when the power comes back on.

But here's a thread that explains why we need sumps if there are kids in the house.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/urgh-seriously.377375/
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new