When is a sump not worth the trouble?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tinnerito
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Tinnerito

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 9, 2024
Messages
662
Reaction score
484
Location
San Antonio
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, it's been a while since last posting! The single thing that is keeping my 55 gal from going underway is filtration. I realllly wanted a sump, but my tank stand interior is very long, but only 8 inches wide. I can fit about any 5 gal in there comfortably but I want atleast 10 gallons, and theres no tanks 10gal+ that are 8 inches or less in width (otherwise please prove me wrong). Moreover, spending $hundreds on a custom tank is just nit going to happen.

So, I'm considering now just getting another EHEIM 350 canister as I have before, but only as a last resort. I don't like maintaing canister filters, and I hate to think that I'll be sacrificing water volume with a canister. Is it worth the trouble to connect two 5gals with a bulkhead for a sump? Should I just get a canister? Other ideas? Suggestions? Thanks
 
What about another stand? Is it a standard dimension 55g? 8" width seems very narrow for the inside of a 55g stand....
It's a long story but I have to make do with the stand that I have 🥲
 
a cannister won't fit under your tank if you only have 8 inches of space, right? If your answer is putting the canister outside of the stand, why not put a sump outside of the stand?

If you can't replace or modify the stand, I'd just use oversized HOB filters. Aquaclear is great. https://amzn.to/4haPGmU
 
If you are just looking for mechanical filtration, I ran a 55 gallon FOWLER with two 110 gallon HOB filters with the mechanical filter provided. Seem to work well enough.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new