HOB vs Canister Filters

saltwaterfish.com

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2023
Messages
573
Reaction score
529
Location
Vero Beach
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of saltwater tanks have sumps or all in one systems for filtration, but a lot of hobbyists also use HOB or canister filters especially if they are new to the hobby or want to save a couple bucks. I prefer HOB personally as they are easier to clean, take up less space, and less prone to leaks. Canister filters can hold more media, and cause less salt spray, but they are more annoying in my opinion to take apart and clean. What is you're preferred method if you had to choose.
 
I have canister filters that have not been opened in years: I use them as cryptic refugiums. With HOB, I can see the zooplankton moving about. They both work well.
 
A lot of saltwater tanks have sumps or all in one systems for filtration, but a lot of hobbyists also use HOB or canister filters especially if they are new to the hobby or want to save a couple bucks. I prefer HOB personally as they are easier to clean, take up less space, and less prone to leaks. Canister filters can hold more media, and cause less salt spray, but they are more annoying in my opinion to take apart and clean. What is you're preferred method if you had to choose.
Canister yes more of an effort to clean but you can wait much longer .The fact that you can add media, rocks , and they have better tighter filters makes them more desirable as to function for me. Also I hate HOB stuff only because of apearance
 
I’ve used Fluval 206 and 407 canister filters for years. One of my better decisions. HOB are easer to maintain but ugly.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new