First algae after cycle

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I started my tank almost a month ago and I've added the first hermits, emerald crab, and cleaning shrimp a few days ago. They are all super active, curious, and alive. Tomorrow I'll get 6 to 7 different snails to start cleaning the windows and the sand.

During my cycle, I've never had algae since my lights were off. Now I am doing 10 hours of lights a day and I just notice these very tiny bubbles popping up on the rocks. (see picture below). Should I be concerned?

IMG_0517.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I started my tank almost a month ago and I've added the first hermits, emerald crab, and cleaning shrimp a few days ago. They are all super active, curious, and alive. Tomorrow I'll get 6 to 7 different snails to start cleaning the windows and the sand.

During my cycle, I've never had algae since my lights were off. Now I am doing 10 hours of lights a day and I just notice these very tiny bubbles popping up on the rocks. (see picture below). Should I be concerned?

IMG_0517.jpg
Progress!

By the way don’t forget to feed your cleanup crew. There is virtually nothing for them to eat right now.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard it's called: the ugly phase. How long does it last? Maybe water changes? What to do? Is cuc gonna help with this?

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First thing you DON'T do is PANIC! Take a step back and observe your tank as it starts to mature, it will take months for this maturation to actually happen but as the algae starts taking hold rest assured the process has begun. Your CUC will take care of algae but it's also very important to develop a schedule and do water changes weekly! Also start a build thread, it's a great way of seeing your progress

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take your time! I would also like to mention it’s best to keep your glass clean manually so your clean up crew works where it’s needed on rocks etc.. you could never own a clean up crew big enough to keep your glass spotless it will be just streaks here or there.. no reason to fill them up on the glass when it’s the easiest thing to clean in a tank.

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys, all clear! Thank you all as always!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back