Substitute for Emerald crabs and bubble algae?

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae is slowly taking over the tank after I got rid of my Dino’s. Obviously keeping parameters in check is one way to stop it but what inverts will eat bubble algae other than emerald crabs? For some reason crabs die very fast in my tank and the last emerald crab I had died in 1 day. are there any alternatives that will pick at the bubble algae?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pitho's work well and are small. Of course each hobbyist experiences may vary but they are often recommended. Small size too. Different.

Manual removal is also recommended. You can reach in, pinch, and pull. Rumor is that it will release spores. There is no concrete facts to support this and is typically viewed as a mind story. So pinch, pop, and remove what you can. Let the Pitho's and emeralds do the rest.

Only buy utility fish and cleanup because you want them. That way if they don't do what you purchased them for you still have them because you like.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Foxface and four large Rabbit Fish that love to eat bubble algae. I don't have any in my display tank. What does seem to continue to grow in my sump, I simply remove and drop in my display tank, and they consume it all right away.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pithos also will keep your sand turned over. Mine stay under the sand during the day.

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal and emeralds. I have one in each of my nanos.

But if inverts are dying after one day you may have another problem.
It’s weird because it’s not inverts ONLY crabs. I’ve had anemone crabs that lasted like 1 week, the emerald crab lasted a day, but I still have a snail that I’ve had since I’ve setup the tank, conch that’s doing good, and urchin that’s always out, and lots of snails. So it’s only crabs I have an issue with

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know rabbits and fox faces do. Just make sure you have a cover they like to jump, also if you get stuck by one hot water is your savior.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back