Emerald crabs in a reef

Reef_Boy-88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently cycled my tank and I entered the ugly stage so I got some clean up crew. My LFS recommended some emerald crabs along with a handful of other things. After I took them home and put them in the tank, I did some research because I thought that I’ve heard emerald crabs aren’t reef safe. I currently have 2 anemones and I am going to add more corals soon. Will the emerald crabs eat my corals? Should I take them out?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently cycled my tank and I entered the ugly stage so I got some clean up crew. My LFS recommended some emerald crabs along with a handful of other things. After I took them home and put them in the tank, I did some research because I thought that I’ve heard emerald crabs aren’t reef safe. I currently have 2 anemones and I am going to add more corals soon. Will the emerald crabs eat my corals? Should I take them out?
I never had an issue with mine.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleans the tank pretty good. Occasionally I see him pulling some suspicious moves but no damage.
IMG_1782.jpeg

dead rock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed porcelain crabs are the stuff they are so cool. I have one hosting an anemone I found his malted shell for the first time, and I like to have a heart attack because I thought he had passed away but he still there being cool.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting you chose to add a couple nems after cycling since they are more of a challenging addition to a new tank. How are they doing?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have had a total of 4. First was a monster eating coral. Next 3, they just eat algae. Keep An eye on em.

I like mine

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine kept picking at zoas and palys and got a face full of toxin and died. Took me a little to figure out what was killing them until I saw one picking at them and then fall off the rock, dead when I picked it up! Thats the only issue I ever had with emeralds otherwise they are fun little dudes!

OP
OP
R

Reef_Boy-88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting you chose to add a couple nems after cycling since they are more of a challenging addition to a new tank. How are they doing?
They are doing really good. I bought them from a guy along with the clowns and he said his are really hardy. Once I put them in they closed up a bit but other then that the clowns have already started to host them and they have been doing great!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back