Swamped with bubble algae

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12 gallon aquapod AIO that has become swamped with bubble algae. Every square inch of the rocks and most of the back of the tank are bubble algae. I've tried emerald crabs and manually removing the algae to no avail.

I have one emerald crab, but I've never actually observed it feeding on the bubble algae. All the other emerald crabs I've added have been murdered by the gorilla crab. I could remove the gorilla and add more emeral crabs, but I'm not that confident that they'll even make a dent on the bubble algae.

Manually removing the algae works, but there is so much of it and it recovers the rock in about a week. It's just not sustainable for me to remove it manually.

I would like to get a small tuxedo urchin, but I'm not sure if my tank is big enough. I hear they eat coralline algae, but I have no coralline because most surfaces are just covered in bubble algae.

Are there any other options?

colejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12 gallon aquapod AIO that has become swamped with bubble algae. Every square inch of the rocks and most of the back of the tank are bubble algae. I've tried emerald crabs and manually removing the algae to no avail.

I have one emerald crab, but I've never actually observed it feeding on the bubble algae. All the other emerald crabs I've added have been murdered by the gorilla crab. I could remove the gorilla and add more emeral crabs, but I'm not that confident that they'll even make a dent on the bubble algae.

Manually removing the algae works, but there is so much of it and it recovers the rock in about a week. It's just not sustainable for me to remove it manually.

I would like to get a small tuxedo urchin, but I'm not sure if my tank is big enough. I hear they eat coralline algae, but I have no coralline because most surfaces are just covered in bubble algae.

Are there any other options?
People may lose their minds , but Vibrant works. They may have lied about the ingredients, but it works for bubble algae.

OP
OP
Z

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever removed all the rocks, picked off all bubbles and rinsed in fresh salt water at the same time?
Nope! But it also grows on the false back so I wouldn't be able to get it all like this.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be taking this crap out or letting my fuge be a fuge and have it grow everything that is nasty?
Is the bubble algae in the fuge or display? A fuge can help prevent algae in the display by consuming nutrients but it won't magically prevent anything and manual removal, especially of something easy like bubble algae on the sand, is still the best tool.

As for letting "everything that's nasty" grow in the fuge, again, it's about depriving new algae in the display of nutrients. The specific type of algae in the fuge doesn't matter as long as it grows well in your system.

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned before, Vibrant. Need to go slow though and stop using at the first sign of stress.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant cleared mine and it hasn't come back. Just start out with 1/2 the dosage and see how your tank reacts for a couple of weeks. Be patient and use it slowly over a few weeks to see a difference.

lostmojo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant cleared mine and it hasn't come back. Just start out with 1/2 the dosage and see how your tank reacts for a couple of weeks. Be patient and use it slowly over a few weeks to see a difference.
If i only have some crabs and snails, do i really need to worry about the dosage of vibrant to much? im dealing with a sudden break out of bubble algae.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People may lose their minds , but Vibrant works. They may have lied about the ingredients, but it works for bubble algae.
Or use algaefix for half the price same product(and you are not rewarding a scammer ) . Just be aware you do risk wiping our all micro flora and causing a prime breeding zone for Dino’s the second you stop using it.

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or use algaefix for half the price same product(and you are not rewarding a scammer ) . Just be aware you do risk wiping our all micro flora and causing a prime breeding zone for Dino’s the second you stop using it.

So if you're using UV, and dosing MB7...I'm assuming this will slow the risk down for dinos to pop?

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algaefix / Vibrant is probably not a huge risk given your stock list...

I personally just got a couple Pitho crabs from Reefcleaners and they are very diligent bubble eaters! Way more bold than Emerald crabs, and they seem to stir the sand to boot. Gorilla crab might still be a problem, I would remove it if you can. Too antisocial and limits your cleanup crew options.

Here is a Pitho eating bubbles yesterday!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back