BUBBLE ALGAE HELP

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
I'm back for some wisdom. After doing lots of research, the main suggestions for bubble algae were emerald crabs, skimmer, filtration, or chemicals (prefer not to use). A coral colony I purchased local had bubble algae on it and it has taken over my tank. For 3 months I have tried scraping, emerald crabs, decreased feeding etc. My nitrates are at 4 and phosphate nearly undetectable thanks to acarbon/phos reactor. Emerald crabs were trying to eat my high value sps which was a no go for me. Any idea would be greatly appreciated!

20240131_133039.jpg 20240131_133037.jpg 20240131_133034.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For bubble algae, aside from emerald crabs and manual removal, I've seen a lot of people suggest pitho crabs, foxface fish, and tangs. I think I've heard of hermits eating them in some cases, but that'd be less likely from what I've read.

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
I'm back for some wisdom. After doing lots of research, the main suggestions for bubble algae were emerald crabs, skimmer, filtration, or chemicals (prefer not to use). A coral colony I purchased local had bubble algae on it and it has taken over my tank. For 3 months I have tried scraping, emerald crabs, decreased feeding etc. My nitrates are at 4 and phosphate nearly undetectable thanks to acarbon/phos reactor. Emerald crabs were trying to eat my high value sps which was a no go for me. Any idea would be greatly appreciated!

I was gonna say vibrant, but there’s a mixed reviews on that right now.

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't promise you any results on this, but for some reason the limpets that came in on my FL live rock are eating the stuff like mad. I had a massive outbreak and one night it just disappeared. Caught them munching down on it the next day when I investigated. No clue where you'd get some, or if they'd even try though.

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

If your tank is large enough for a Foxface I highly recommend it. I had bubble algae totally take over my tank. Emerald crabs didn’t touch it. Fluconazole at 4X the recommended dose helped reduce it 50% but it came roaring back a month later. I finally tried a Foxface and 5 weeks later the bubble algae is gone. Truly a remarkable remedy. And they’re a great fish to keep as well.

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

And the only other thing I can think of that would be a last resort would be an exorcism.

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna say vibrant, but there’s a mixed reviews on that right now.
API algaefix, 1/3 of the cost and not produced by a garbage company
There is no animal that will come close to tackling that job. Vibrant will knock it out within a week.
No, it will not. But it will knock it out in about 6-8 weeks of consistant dosing at 3 day intervals along with an initial large manual removal. Again, don't use that brand.

OP, check out my thread here, as I just went through this myself. You're fighting an uphill battle.

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

And one of the most important things don’t take advice from anybody take it as a grain of salt do your own research. Through your experiences and trials and errors you gained knowledge in this hobby. Orrrrr you can just use vibrant.

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Just general reply to all of you! Thabk you! My tangs havnt touched it but I do want to try a foxface! I have nopox I dose once in a Blue moon maybe I should make it consistent?
Why is everyone hating vibrant? I see alot of people talking about it in the other bubble algae forums? Will it risk my fish/corals or? Cause jopox literally has ethanol in it

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Just general reply to all of you! Thabk you! My tangs havnt touched it but I do want to try a foxface! I have nopox I dose once in a Blue moon maybe I should make it consistent?
Why is everyone hating vibrant? I see alot of people talking about it in the other bubble algae forums? Will it risk my fish/corals or? Cause jopox literally has ethanol in it
Everybody has their own opinion about products, and the fact is some of these products have been around longer than some people are replying to these posts. I use it responsibly, and I’ve had no negative impacts, but to each their own.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Vibrant was one of the factors that led to me shutting my last tank down

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Vibrant is an algaecide that was advertised as a bacterial remedy.

If you want to use an algaecide use API Algaefix which is at least honest and cheap.

I would prefer to find a biological method of control - you just need to find one that works for you.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
crush the bubble algae between your fingers to assert ur species dominance

and I mean that really. Just crush it all, it'll die off. That's what I did. There's no magical ratio to prevent bubble algae.
Or pop it with a skewer or toothpick. That's what I did (and a foxface) and eventually it was gone.

There is some unidentified nutrient that helps it take off in a tank.
No idea what it is, but in some tanks eventually it is all consumed and the problem goes away.

In other tanks something must replenish whatever nutrient/trace element it feeds on.

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm tracking. So to prevent having switch to chemicals, try toothpick ( I have also heard toothbrush) and try and get it off? That combined with maybe a foxface?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back