Brownish long algae! what should I do??

Icedtealeaf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just started my first reef tank and about 3 weeks into the cycle. I am now encountering a problem. there is brown filaments growing all over everything. Its growing over my Xenia and Macro algae's. My emerald crab seems to have taken some interest but is very slow. What should I do? PS no only live animals in the tank are one Xenia, P-crab, and E-crab. the tank is 12G's so I cant add much but its been stable and is going strong. So far it isn't the biggest problem but its pretty ugly and i've had to start scrubbing it off with a tooth brush.

IMG_3580.jpeg

IMG_3581.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nutrients are probably low, especially phosphate and the algaes are likely struggling because of that and fueling the growth of the stringy junk in your tank. Welcome to "the Uglies." (Not me, I'm just the messenger.) New saltwater tanks often take time to get healthy enought to function nicely and grow little to almost zero "uglies." They are in the ocean too. Divers don't take pictures of those parts of the ocean because they are on limited air and they want pretty pictures while they can get them.

Same applies to reef and fish tanks. Most of us take pictures after we have cleaned the glass, otherwise you might see our film algae or many other issues that can challenge the pristine white sand look of a 2 week old reef.

Let it ride.
Get test kits for dKh, Alk, and calcium and keep track of the tanks levels of these tests and match the levels as you do water changes with fresh saltwater mixed with RODI (at home or from a reliable fish store) If you use a fish store, check their water to see if they mix it consistently, or not.

Lot's more you will learn on the way. Welcome to Reef2Reef.

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re good biodiversity will compete with that algae, hopefully and end all of it

OP
OP
Icedtealeaf

Icedtealeaf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nutrients are probably low, especially phosphate and the algaes are likely struggling because of that and fueling the growth of the stringy junk in your tank. Welcome to "the Uglies." (Not me, I'm just the messenger.) New saltwater tanks often take time to get healthy enought to function nicely and grow little to almost zero "uglies." They are in the ocean too. Divers don't take pictures of those parts of the ocean because they are on limited air and they want pretty pictures while they can get them.

Same applies to reef and fish tanks. Most of us take pictures after we have cleaned the glass, otherwise you might see our film algae or many other issues that can challenge the pristine white sand look of a 2 week old reef.

Let it ride.
Get test kits for dKh, Alk, and calcium and keep track of the tanks levels of these tests and match the levels as you do water changes with fresh saltwater mixed with RODI (at home or from a reliable fish store) If you use a fish store, check their water to see if they mix it consistently, or not.

Lot's more you will learn on the way. Welcome to Reef2Reef.
That's sounds like a plan. I knew I was coming toward the ugly phase sometime soon, I hope my crab keeps crabbin and it'l all be fine. I'm reluctant to buy snails because I don't want to run out of algae and starve them. I was considering Cerith or turbo. anyways, do you think my Xenia is gonna be alright? I think my crab has been cleaning the algae off of it at night. and during the day its pulsing and blueish pink so healthy I guess, I just don't want it to get smothered.

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get some algae sheets. They’re readily available at Petsmart Petco and your local reef store to help them during this time

OP
OP
Icedtealeaf

Icedtealeaf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get some algae sheets. They’re readily available at Petsmart Petco and your local reef store to help them during this time
It looks like the algae problem was brief. my emerald crab spinach is to small to eat the macro algae and has taken a liking to the brown stuff. she has cleaned the whole tank. I also invested in a lettuce Nudi to help with the glass and rocks! when I went to the LFS I was also able to pick up some new macro algae species as well as Blue Hypnea for free!! Im in Canada so the macro selection is generally pretty slim. Hoping my small piece survives its like so tiny though so IDK
IMG_3595.jpeg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just started my first reef tank and about 3 weeks into the cycle. I am now encountering a problem. there is brown filaments growing all over everything. Its growing over my Xenia and Macro algae's. My emerald crab seems to have taken some interest but is very slow. What should I do? PS no only live animals in the tank are one Xenia, P-crab, and E-crab. the tank is 12G's so I cant add much but its been stable and is going strong. So far it isn't the biggest problem but its pretty ugly and i've had to start scrubbing it off with a tooth brush.

IMG_3580.jpeg

IMG_3581.jpeg
The wispy threads could be diatom or dinoflagellate growth. The aquarium might not look pretty during year 1 of its existence.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back