Mariah’s Biocube 32

MariahP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Back when I was in grad school I had a 55 gallon reef tank that I cobbled together with extremely limited funds. After many years out of the hobby I’m back! My girlfriend gifted me a 32 gallon Biocube which I’m hoping to start up soon. For now I’m planning on keeping the included hood and lights - but that may change in the future.

What I have so far:
Biocube 32 tank
Biocube 32 stand
InTank Media basket
InTank Fuge basket
InTank fish saver guard
ACKE full spectrum LED refugium light (any suggestions on how to attach this to the back of the tank?)
BRS salt mixing bucket bundle
BRS 100W titanium heater
Ink bird heater controller
Reef Crystals Salt Mix
Chemi-Pure Elite
Vortech MP10
BRS 4 stage RO/DI system

What I’m thinking of getting next:
TB Saltwater live rock (mix of nano size and regular) Note: I purchased some marcorock foundation rocks to set the live rock on - I really like the idea of a flat base
Glue master glue for holding it all together
CaribSea special grade
Algaebarn cycling kit? This may be overkill?
Vortech battery backup

So, I’m almost ready to go. I have a trip coming up in early February and am thinking I’ll wait until then to start it up.

For livestock I’m going to attempt to do an all aquacultured tank - from fish to corals. I know that this is limiting, so I don’t have a solid plan for fish or corals, but I know I’m keeping it softie and potentially LPS due to the stock lighting situation. I’ll start out with the obligatory clownfish, but they’re actually my favorite aquarium fish, so I love ‘em. Also, if anyone knows where to get good aquacultured inverts, let me know!

Pic of the tank below with a bonus appearance from my pup, Rollo.

Would love any tips, tricks, comments, or suggestions!

33CE1B77-972F-46E6-86E1-E6E0AE2ED86D.jpeg

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently cycling my BC32 also and I’m excited to see how yours turns out. I didn’t go with the InTank media basket upgrade because I was curious how the stock setup would work. I will be following your build and rooting for your success

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Biocube gang. As much biodiversity you can dump in there the better. I ended up making a lot of mods to my cube if you want to check them out. Have fun.

OP
OP
MariahP

MariahP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently cycling my BC32 also and I’m excited to see how yours turns out. I didn’t go with the InTank media basket upgrade because I was curious how the stock setup would work. I will be following your build and rooting for your success
Would love to know how your cycle goes! I’ll be following your build as well!

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Back when I was in grad school I had a 55 gallon reef tank that I cobbled together with extremely limited funds. After many years out of the hobby I’m back! My girlfriend gifted me a 32 gallon Biocube which I’m hoping to start up soon. For now I’m planning on keeping the included hood and lights - but that may change in the future.

What I have so far:
Biocube 32 tank
Biocube 32 stand
InTank Media basket
InTank Fuge basket
InTank fish saver guard
ACKE full spectrum LED refugium light (any suggestions on how to attach this to the back of the tank?)
BRS salt mixing bucket bundle
BRS 100W titanium heater
Ink bird heater controller
Reef Crystals Salt Mix
Chemi-Pure Elite
Vortech MP10
BRS 4 stage RO/DI system

What I’m thinking of getting next:
TB Saltwater live rock (mix of nano size and regular) Note: I purchased some marcorock foundation rocks to set the live rock on - I really like the idea of a flat base
Glue master glue for holding it all together
CaribSea special grade
Algaebarn cycling kit? This may be overkill?
Vortech battery backup

So, I’m almost ready to go. I have a trip coming up in early February and am thinking I’ll wait until then to start it up.

For livestock I’m going to attempt to do an all aquacultured tank - from fish to corals. I know that this is limiting, so I don’t have a solid plan for fish or corals, but I know I’m keeping it softie and potentially LPS due to the stock lighting situation. I’ll start out with the obligatory clownfish, but they’re actually my favorite aquarium fish, so I love ‘em. Also, if anyone knows where to get good aquacultured inverts, let me know!

Pic of the tank below with a bonus appearance from my pup, Rollo.

Would love any tips, tricks, comments, or suggestions!

33CE1B77-972F-46E6-86E1-E6E0AE2ED86D.jpeg
To answer your question,

'ACKE full spectrum LED refugium light (any suggestions on how to attach this to the back of the tank?)'
refug 1.jpeg

I used two pieces of the large white velcro command strips for a nicrew all spectrum light attached right to the glass. I have had this combo attached since 2019 with no issues. My favorite part about this setup is i could remove the light easily for cleaning then place it right back on without issue. (just be careful when applying pressure to the glass, this may be over cautious but a good practice all the same).
refuge 2.jpeg

I have had the ACKE full spectrum LED on my Red Sea so i know it is heavier so you might need a third piece of velcro command strips for this.

Also a plug for the in-Tank baskets, they have been an awesome purchase.

Is the Biocube wet?

Later days,

B-Kind

Charlie G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
MECOMI- thanks for proving your pics.

I also have a 32 g Biocube for about one year now. I am about to start a chaeto refugium. I noticed you are using the intake refuge basket. I read a couple of threads where people have not used it due to it the fact it does not contain the chaeto so when the remove the media basket the Chaeto spills over.

Have you had any problems with this?
Any issues with the Chaeto getting into your return pump or with flow? What do you use between the 2nd and 3rd chambers -the sponge that came with the Biocube of anything else?

Thanks

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran this tank for a few years before moving. I loved it.

Iran a refugium in the back however I didn’t use the “basket.” I did cut the vinyl off the back in a little rectangle and added an IM/aqua gadget refugium light which worked perfectly and was affixed with Velcro. IIRC, It came with the velcro.

I ran mine open too as the included light wasn’t really bright enough. I think I ran a Radion XR15 but possibly a Maxxspext Razr now that I think about it.

Want to say I used an IM mighty jet return pump and an MP10 for flow but it may have been an MP40 turned waaayyy down. The stock pump was too loud for me.

Charlie G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Any issues with not using the fuge basket? Did your refugium contents get into the return pump

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
MECOMI- thanks for proving your pics.

I also have a 32 g Biocube for about one year now. I am about to start a chaeto refugium. I noticed you are using the intake refuge basket. I read a couple of threads where people have not used it due to it the fact it does not contain the chaeto so when the remove the media basket the Chaeto spills over.

Have you had any problems with this?
Any issues with the Chaeto getting into your return pump or with flow? What do you use between the 2nd and 3rd chambers -the sponge that came with the Biocube of anything else?

Thanks
Good day @Charlie G i like posting pictures when i can, 'the proof is in the pudding' as they say.

Regarding the in-tank fuge basket. The chaeto can spill out the side but i never really felt this was much of an issue. Since i knew about the problem i would usually use my hand or an aquarium tool of some sort to hold the chaeto in place when i lifted it out. Once it matures like in the photo this concern almost goes away completely.

The fuge basket biggest headache is when it needs to be scrapped. This will take some time before this happens in a new tank so it is not a regular occurrence. I maybe had to do it once every few months or more (after it matures). Coralline algae is awesome but will find its way back there and block the light. Due to the style of back chamber and the light having to go through multiple panes of glass/plastic this is just something we have to deal with regardless for the AIO look. Even though i say this is a headache, it is very manageable. If i put it off a while i would take the basket out, move the chaeto to a kitchen bowl (it does not need water if it is just for a quick clean up), scrape with a razor blade or aquarium scrapper, and then put all back together.
chaeto bowl.jpeg

I did not modify my back chambers at all, no cutting, no modifications, and just added the inTank baskets. I am lazy and not a great DIY person :thinking-face: so the easier the better. I still use the black sponge to this day. I have, of course, replaced it several times. The first one that came with the tank maybe lasted till the 8-10 month mark, though this will be different for everyone. I bought a bulk pack of the black sponge material from amazon only one time and i still have most of it. I just use the old black sponge as the template and cut it out of the material. The black sponge will clog but not usually due to chaeto. It is usually due to detritus, other algae, inverts, and sponge. I did wash the black sponge from time to time to, remove it, rinse it in the sink, clear out as much of the gunk as i could, let it dry completely or dip a couple times in RODI then right back to the tank. Once it was too dirty or falling apart, or i was lazy, i would cut a new one out and replace it.

From time to time despite our best efforts the chateo/algae will build up on the chamber two side of the sponge, this will happen no matter how your refugium is setup unless it is a HOB style. When the sponge is blocked or clogged then it will be obvious because the water will flow over the wall between chamber 2 and 3, this is not much of a concern for your floors as the tank is setup for this to overflow into chamber 3. Usually when it is just blocked on the chamber 2 side there are a couple options. Take out the basket and reach in by hand or with a aquarium tool and clear out the blockage. Or you can just turn off flow, let the water equalize (stop flowing), and pull the black sponge causing the blockage to flow into chamber 3 and from here remove by hand or tool. Lastly you can leave the flow going, remove the sponge, and it will get sucked into chamber 3 to be removed.

Lastly something you dont see often as a beginner is understanding that causing what my LFS calls sandstorms/detritus storms in the tank is not usually a bad thing. During maintenance of the back chambers, this will kick up a ton of detritus and such. Just remember as you watch your tank go from clear to cloudy that all this material is already in the ecosystem and kicking it up can help remove more of it through your filtration. And will settle out quickly.

You will overthink and over-research everything which is both good and sometimes overwhelming. Just keep in mind that if you find something that works, then it works, simple as that.

Oh and one last tip, fill the water all the way up to the bottom of the filter floss of the inTank media basket. This will prevent the waterfall noise and the biocube will run silent. The min/max lines are confusing (if they are still shipping with this on the side of course).

Sorry for the take over @MariahP hope this helps you folks!

Sincerely,

B-Kind

Charlie G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day @Charlie G i like posting pictures when i can, 'the proof is in the pudding' as they say.

Regarding the in-tank fuge basket. The chaeto can spill out the side but i never really felt this was much of an issue. Since i knew about the problem i would usually use my hand or an aquarium tool of some sort to hold the chaeto in place when i lifted it out. Once it matures like in the photo this concern almost goes away completely.

The fuge basket biggest headache is when it needs to be scrapped. This will take some time before this happens in a new tank so it is not a regular occurrence. I maybe had to do it once every few months or more (after it matures). Coralline algae is awesome but will find its way back there and block the light. Due to the style of back chamber and the light having to go through multiple panes of glass/plastic this is just something we have to deal with regardless for the AIO look. Even though i say this is a headache, it is very manageable. If i put it off a while i would take the basket out, move the chaeto to a kitchen bowl (it does not need water if it is just for a quick clean up), scrape with a razor blade or aquarium scrapper, and then put all back together.
chaeto bowl.jpeg

I did not modify my back chambers at all, no cutting, no modifications, and just added the inTank baskets. I am lazy and not a great DIY person :thinking-face: so the easier the better. I still use the black sponge to this day. I have, of course, replaced it several times. The first one that came with the tank maybe lasted till the 8-10 month mark, though this will be different for everyone. I bought a bulk pack of the black sponge material from amazon only one time and i still have most of it. I just use the old black sponge as the template and cut it out of the material. The black sponge will clog but not usually due to chaeto. It is usually due to detritus, other algae, inverts, and sponge. I did wash the black sponge from time to time to, remove it, rinse it in the sink, clear out as much of the gunk as i could, let it dry completely or dip a couple times in RODI then right back to the tank. Once it was too dirty or falling apart, or i was lazy, i would cut a new one out and replace it.

From time to time despite our best efforts the chateo/algae will build up on the chamber two side of the sponge, this will happen no matter how your refugium is setup unless it is a HOB style. When the sponge is blocked or clogged then it will be obvious because the water will flow over the wall between chamber 2 and 3, this is not much of a concern for your floors as the tank is setup for this to overflow into chamber 3. Usually when it is just blocked on the chamber 2 side there are a couple options. Take out the basket and reach in by hand or with a aquarium tool and clear out the blockage. Or you can just turn off flow, let the water equalize (stop flowing), and pull the black sponge causing the blockage to flow into chamber 3 and from here remove by hand or tool. Lastly you can leave the flow going, remove the sponge, and it will get sucked into chamber 3 to be removed.

Lastly something you dont see often as a beginner is understanding that causing what my LFS calls sandstorms/detritus storms in the tank is not usually a bad thing. During maintenance of the back chambers, this will kick up a ton of detritus and such. Just remember as you watch your tank go from clear to cloudy that all this material is already in the ecosystem and kicking it up can help remove more of it through your filtration. And will settle out quickly.

You will overthink and over-research everything which is both good and sometimes overwhelming. Just keep in mind that if you find something that works, then it works, simple as that.

Oh and one last tip, fill the water all the way up to the bottom of the filter floss of the inTank media basket. This will prevent the waterfall noise and the biocube will run silent. The min/max lines are confusing (if they are still shipping with this on the side of course).

Sorry for the take over @MariahP hope this helps you folks!

Sincerely,

B-Kind

Hi.

Thank you for responding and clarifying.

I received my Chaeto tonight and originally put it in chamber 2 adjacent to the intake media basket without the fuge basket but then decided to place it in the intake fuge basket. I will be mindful when removing it or taking it out for cleaning the chamber. I use filter floss in the media basket and between chamber 2/3.

I hope it works.

Thanks again.

OP
OP
MariahP

MariahP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have water!!

After much hand wringing about what kind of rock to put in there, I finally found an amazing LFS near me that had cycled rock that wasn’t covered in aptasia or other nasty critters. (Shout out to Reef eScape in VA!) Managed to snag a bunch of arching rock so there are lots of little fishy pass throughs. Took some pics of several different angles of the tank.

I also used fritz turbo start and algaebarns substrate sauce. I know that’s a bit much, but I just want to have all my bases covered. Am I only supposed to dose those once?

Next project for the day is cord management and getting the water levels higher in the back of the cube so I don’t hear the waterfall noise!

Attachments

• 4EB337C3-4B8B-4021-99BB-E5F79E03AE88.jpeg
    4EB337C3-4B8B-4021-99BB-E5F79E03AE88.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 9126A70E-07D0-4651-8738-3CFD68B2526B.jpeg
    9126A70E-07D0-4651-8738-3CFD68B2526B.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 692A1934-4278-4979-8D10-3B41258BF9B9.jpeg
    692A1934-4278-4979-8D10-3B41258BF9B9.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
MariahP

MariahP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks great. Did you cement the rock or just piled on?
I ended up just stacking - they managed to fit together really well and even with poking and prodding don’t move.
I also figure this way if something unpleasant starts growing on one of the rocks I can pluck it out.

Charlie G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up just stacking - they managed to fit together really well and even with poking and prodding don’t move.
I also figure this way if something unpleasant starts growing on one of the rocks I can pluck it out.
Yes. Good idea. I also have a Biocube for about a year now and have stacked the rocks. Early on I had a smaller rock on top of a bigger one. I had turbo snails which I believe moved the rock while my fire fish was underneath it. I’m pretty sure that’s what did him in.
I have been nervous to add turbos agai for that reason. I did move the smaller/lighter rocks onto the substrate. I am about to add a couple of turbos to help with gha I hope I don’t regret it.

I agree though it helps remove each rock when needed.

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have water!!

After much hand wringing about what kind of rock to put in there, I finally found an amazing LFS near me that had cycled rock that wasn’t covered in aptasia or other nasty critters. (Shout out to Reef eScape in VA!) Managed to snag a bunch of arching rock so there are lots of little fishy pass throughs. Took some pics of several different angles of the tank.

I also used fritz turbo start and algaebarns substrate sauce. I know that’s a bit much, but I just want to have all my bases covered. Am I only supposed to dose those once?

Next project for the day is cord management and getting the water levels higher in the back of the cube so I don’t hear the waterfall noise!
Congratulations on finding a good LFS and getting your tank going. Now it gets fun and really starts to test your patience, lol. I know it’s been hard to keep the slow pace with my BC32… but I did wait a month before turning lights on and adding my first little clownfish. I can’t wait to watch your reef grow.. congrats again and happy reefing..

EA870B4C-FC63-48E0-9FB3-AE25424BB05D.jpeg

trsmith18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start and love the rockscape.

LMK if you decide to go with a Refugium in the back as I have a fuge basket and a Tunze light that worked great for me in the past and would sell on the cheap.

Keep the updates coming

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%

Back