My 200g (ish) Build

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been keeping fish tanks for around 10 years now. Starting with a 10g, a 40g, a 60g reef ready cube, Biocube, 40g AIO, and more recently a 120g IM AIO (rest in peace).

So what do we do when a tank leaks after nearly 5 years? Go bigger! I’m wrapping up the quote with glasscages and hope to have it ordered this week.

I have always wanted a fish room with Rubbermaid stock tanks and my own sink and water supply. I loved the clean look of my 60g cube but at 6’7” working inside that tiny cabinet and sump was a nightmare. The 120g AIO was great since I have long arms but the tank was a bit small and implementing equipment and things was challenging.

I am excited to have a place where I can splash some water or soak a powerhead without my wife complaining about the smell. Maybe even a small counter to tinker on. So…I have our contractor coming this week to discuss.

The new tank will fit where the old one went. It will be around 6.5’ long, 25” tall, 22” deep, and have the overflow on a single side. 3, 1.5” bulkheads (one return, a full siphon, and an emergency drain). Flow provided by 2 Gyre’s (until someone releases something better) and it’s all lit by 4 Radion XR30’s.

I have had great success relying on my Apex and Trident, ditching the skimmer, using an aggressive amount of macro algae and only keeping a few fish. I plan to replicate that and add massive amounts of water volume to boot. I currently have an AWC system and my hope is that I can ditch it or maintain the current 1g/day changes I make now.

The plumbing will drop straight down 10-15’. I’m in need of help with the basement and mechanicals to be honest. I have a couple thoughts and would like input.

Option one: uses a 150g or 300g stock tank. In there I will put my heaters, a sand bed in a container, chaeto, dosing lines, ATO (not sure how yet. Maybe drill for a float switch), and probes. My main concern here is snails messing with ATO sensors and probes. The positives are that I have a single simple big tub of water to worry about. 150g Rubbermaid Stock tanks are tall but have narrow bases so it feels like it would be difficult to compartmentalize. A 300g stock tank is better but takes up a lot of space.

Option two: uses a 50g stock tank over a 150g stock tank. Water flows from the display tank into the 50g which will act as a refugium then into the 150g which will house life support. This feels safe to me so long as I use a wide open 2” drain and a backup 2” drain into the 150g. However, I don’t see it done this way a lot and I’d like to hear some thoughts on why. I have the most success with the “dirty refugium, clean tank” ideology and this allows for the tank water to directly hit the refugium first so this seems like the way to go for how I like to do things.

Option Three …and seemingly the most popular based on reading: The display will dump into a 150g stock tank which in addition to life support, will house two return pumps. One for the display and one for a 50g refugium. Possibly just one pump that would feed both tanks but the theory is that you have two “separate” tanks (display and refugium) feeding from one sump. I see the advantage. You can take the refugium offline if need be. I just don’t like the idea of the tank water hitting the life support first.

I’m looking at return pumps and would really like something internal but the Abyzz that BRS suggested are out of my budget at $2,500 a piece and I like to buy 2x the equipment for things like pumps. I am looking at the Jebao 20000 series for internal use (I could buy 3 for 1/3 the price of the Abyzz) or the Hammerhead Gold Hybrid for external but the good reviews are outweighed by the bad. I’d love some opinions. I’ve never had an external return pump.

I would love any help or input now and as I move forward. I’ve never had a build thread and I’m excited to share and keep a log as time goes by.

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I like #1 with a 300 gallon. I love the water volume, but are you right as there is no way to split things up in there. I wouldn't worry too much about snails messing with sensors, but I would have backup high water level sensors in place just in case.

As far as #2, I think is reason most people don't want the water from the display going directly into the fuge is detritus. Without the water being mechanically filtered before a fuge in can quick turn into a giant mess. IMO the would be the main reason for avoiding the fuge first. If you could figure out a way to set it up where the water is scrubbed, then into the fuge and out to the rubbermaid sitting under the fuge I would run it that way IMO.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I like #1 with a 300 gallon. I love the water volume, but are you right as there is no way to split things up in there. I wouldn't worry too much about snails messing with sensors, but I would have backup high water level sensors in place just in case.

As far as #2, I think is reason most people don't want the water from the display going directly into the fuge is detritus. Without the water being mechanically filtered before a fuge in can quick turn into a giant mess. IMO the would be the main reason for avoiding the fuge first. If you could figure out a way to set it up where the water is scrubbed, then into the fuge and out to the rubbermaid sitting under the fuge I would run it that way IMO.
Thanks!

I have everything in a 125g Aqueon (not drilled) right now. We were actually on a cruise last week and a snail bumped my ATO sensors which are stuck on the back with magnets. Luckily we had spotty internet and I had installed a liquid level sensor so I could use that as a backup and a fail safe but it has me concerned.

The 300g stock tank does simplify things in a lot of ways. I could also always later add a second tank to the system for frags or a refugium if I had the space.

Although at more than 5x5 feet wide, I would need to wade in to access the far side.

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I have everything in a 125g Aqueon (not drilled) right now. We were actually on a cruise last week and a snail bumped my ATO sensors which are stuck on the back with magnets. Luckily we had spotty internet and I had installed a liquid level sensor so I could use that as a backup and a fail safe but it has me concerned.

The 300g stock tank does simplify things in a lot of ways. I could also always later add a second tank to the system for frags or a refugium if I had the space.

Although at more than 5x5 feet wide, I would need to wade in to access the far side.
I under the "wade" across statement. I have one as well that we was an outdoor pond at one time. I recently had to use it in my living room when my 210 display tank started leaking.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So…contractor stopped by yesterday. Quote incoming next week. Will be an ugly run for plumbing a floor sink but it’s possible.

Really wanted a 300g stock tank but contractor didn’t like the idea of 2 tons on the platform he’s building so I’ll be going with a150g and a 50g stock tank or 40B spaced a bit apart to spread the load.

Want the quote to come in before pulling the trigger on the tank.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stuff has come together in my head. I have to reach out and order the tank but the quote is finally right.

Glasscages 7’x2x25” tall tank. Low-e on the front. Short side coast to coast overflow.

Return will be a Jebao 20000 pump
Flow will be 2 Gyre XF350’s

I’m using a 100g stock tank filled to 50g as a refugium. I have a Wills 465w grow light plus a Wills 165w aquarium light for the little grow out/frag area. I plan to run a DSB and lots of Chaeto with 2 Jebao powerheads.

The refugium and display will be plumbed into
another 100g stock tank where I will house my equipment. I’m planning on using a 20g aquarium raised up in the stock tank to house the return pumps and better control the ATO and give me a place to put the LLS, dosing lines, and probes. Water will just spill over the edge (hopefully) Like a pump chamber on a “real” sump.

Neptune Apex to control everything.

I’m running two BRS 600 watt heaters each hooked up to their own EB832/EB8. I think I may need a third but we will see.

Dosing 3 part via DOS pumps via Trident and I’m hopeful I can ditch the daily 1 gallon AWC but probably not at first.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank ordered. Fish room needs flooring, finished sink plumbing and the sumps. Plan on wrapping that up this week.

Not sure if I mentioned but I picked up a 465w Wills grow light for the refugium and a 165w reef light for the grow out area.
I have also started work on the stock tank cover which will hold filter socks and dosing lines.

Our basement is commercial sized pier and beam foundation so the basement spans from 30’ ceiling down to 2’ and has a spray foam floor. This presents a challenge when trying to create flat space. Progress:

Attachments

• 5D2268C8-7582-4D68-B2EE-C7C6531AF36D.jpeg
    5D2268C8-7582-4D68-B2EE-C7C6531AF36D.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 9544D0E1-D55F-4B4C-A05E-7B8675CFAAAA.jpeg
    9544D0E1-D55F-4B4C-A05E-7B8675CFAAAA.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 2EDDCD2A-2D0E-453B-BFD5-EF026BA9713F.jpeg
    2EDDCD2A-2D0E-453B-BFD5-EF026BA9713F.jpeg
    235.1 KB · Views: 56

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank ordered. Fish room needs flooring, finished sink plumbing and the sumps. Plan on wrapping that up this week.

Not sure if I mentioned but I picked up a 465w Wills grow light for the refugium and a 165w reef light for the grow out area.
I have also started work on the stock tank cover which will hold filter socks and dosing lines.

Our basement is commercial sized pier and beam foundation so the basement spans from 30’ ceiling down to 2’ and has a spray foam floor. This presents a challenge when trying to create flat space. Progress:
Best of luck to finishing everything!!

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using this as a journal. I know this isn’t the “fun” stuff yet but I hope it will be fun to look back at this. Yesterday I got the floor down, sink plumbed, and the stand built for the refugium. Today I’ll connect the drain for the sink, hang the refugium lights, build storage shelving, add the stairs, and start the refugium plumbing.

I’ve found a good deal on a Reef Octopus 6000SSS that I’m debating. I didn’t want a space-saver but 50% off is maybe too much to pass on.

I am also debating a DSB vs bio blocks. I’ll make a second post about this as I’m not sure the newer ones leak aluminum or not.
Lastly, I wanted a square box to put in the middle of the large stock tank to house my return pumps and sensors and things. Im having a hard time with this to be sure. I just hate the idea of my water level and ATO being dictated by a 100g stock tank.

Attachments

• 99794BBD-1187-4499-B4A3-0DD010714FF3.jpeg
    99794BBD-1187-4499-B4A3-0DD010714FF3.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving forward here. The room is “done.” Not a lot in the picture today but some added stairs, hung the refugium light, and connected the sink drain. My son helped me build those awesome shelving units so that took 2x as long. So happy to finally have a place other than “here and there” to store my extra parts and equipment.
I also got a white cutting board cut to receive all the drain lines and a ton of plumbing supplies. Some parts needed to be special ordered and will trickle in over the weekend. Going to run a skimmer I think. I have this big open space in the 150g that’s calling for one. Need to find a good deal on a 500g+ rated skimmer or go new.

8224C230-01D8-437C-ABB6-82D9733C5C4A.jpeg AB39D140-756B-49DD-A348-938CC96E5E87.jpeg

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gone back and forth about 3 times now on making a dedicated return pump section using a Rubbermaid trash can. Today…the answer is no. I cut some egg crate and made a table for the skimmer and pumps (I’m pondering one despite going into this without wanting one), and plumbed the drain on the refugium.

Today I’m working on the COR-15 return line for the refugium which will also run the manifold for carbon and a UV light. I also plan on cutting out a section of the egg crate table and putting a powerhead below the sump table to keep water moving under there.

Attachments

• 82BEE827-3D66-4BF7-89A0-A731D5969F9F.jpeg
    82BEE827-3D66-4BF7-89A0-A731D5969F9F.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 53
  • E7281A7A-8D31-4611-AB55-52C004EF4195.jpeg
    E7281A7A-8D31-4611-AB55-52C004EF4195.jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 51

old_lady_4am

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving forward here. The room is “done.” Not a lot in the picture today but some added stairs, hung the refugium light, and connected the sink drain. My son helped me build those awesome shelving units so that took 2x as long. So happy to finally have a place other than “here and there” to store my extra parts and equipment.
I also got a white cutting board cut to receive all the drain lines and a ton of plumbing supplies. Some parts needed to be special ordered and will trickle in over the weekend. Going to run a skimmer I think. I have this big open space in the 150g that’s calling for one. Need to find a good deal on a 500g+ rated skimmer or go new.

8224C230-01D8-437C-ABB6-82D9733C5C4A.jpeg AB39D140-756B-49DD-A348-938CC96E5E87.jpeg
That’s so cool! Is your house built on a rock?

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s so cool! Is your house built on a rock?
On a mountainside…on giant rocks. I grew up in glacial country where the soil was rocky but nothing like this. We have a 17x30 pool and literally 2/3 of it wouldn’t need concrete as it is carved out of a single rock.

Here when they build a house on a mountainside, they typically pile up thousands of bags of sand then make a form around it and pour concrete. Our house was a prototype that was supposed to “revolutionize” how they build here so they poured massive footers and used commercial steel columns to create a platform for our home to sit on. Then they sprayed foam over the entire dirt floor. The result is that we have a sloped basement that has a ceiling that starts at around 3’ tall at the garage wall and goes down to about 25 feet at the lowest point. We have reclaimed space by building platforms for a game room, guest bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, etc.

I was able to take a little 8x8’ chunk of space to create this platform.

Today I’m testing the plumbing to the refugium and to make sure my platform doesn’t crumble under the weight. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leak test run. The platform didn’t collapse and kill me so…I got that going for me….Also my 30 PVC solvent welds all held.

Made a quick and dirty aquabus to connect my Apex head unit to the basement from the current placement below the DT. It will move down as soon as the new tank arrives.

Was able to start integrating an FMM, a couple 1Links, and 1 of 2 EB8’s. The other FMM is in the mail and I have to swap my mixing station EB8 for an EB4 when I get back from holiday so I can move the EB8 into the fish room. I’ll have one heater on each EB8. The return pump for the refugium and manifold (COR-15) and the display (Jebao 20000) will be on a battery as it takes our generator 5-10 seconds to kick in and this will make sure there’s no hiccups in the water flow.

I’m keeping the EB832 and an FMM under the display tank for fans and misc equipment as needed.

The leaks test showed me that PVC pipe tables with Rubbermaid trash cans on them float even with hard plumbed pumps in them. Who knew? Zip tied everything down, drilled holes in the PVC to let out air, and anchored it with 40lbs of dry rock. Fixed that I think.

On vacation for a week then when I’m back I’ll be cycling the sump and refugium with a sand bed and some gulf live rock to help alleviate the new tank cycle when I move everything to the main display.

Wires need to be cleaned up (still) but there’s hope it won’t look like the usual rats nest I create. Need some shorter USB cables from Amazon.

Attachments

• 8F7096DA-24EC-40A6-9AF5-06E832D7486F.jpeg
    8F7096DA-24EC-40A6-9AF5-06E832D7486F.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s wet! Got water in it annd salinity balanced yesterday. Most of the Apex stuff is mounted with a space in the middle for the head unit. Today I should get the shorter USB cables to clean up the wiring. Right now the head unit is still mounted under the display and I have a quick and dirty USB patch run. Unfortunately the UPS I chose for the EB8 (to keep the pumps running for 10-20 seconds until the generator kicks in) isn’t big enough to handle the heater too so I’ll have to move my bigger UPS from under the DT downstairs when the new tank arrives.

I’m having a heck of a time keeping the table with the return pumps from floating. 40lbs of live rock wedged under it couldn’t do it. It’s fine until the water level in the compartment drops too far. I may scrap it. Then again, I think the 3 return pumps and plumbing may hold it down but it will be a minute until that gets set up.

Today I will mount the cameras and fans and as mentioned above, clean up the wiring. I have gulf live rock coming tomorrow to start the cycle.

Attachments

• 047D6E31-C84C-4C90-B770-FB5C55E339AE.jpeg
    047D6E31-C84C-4C90-B770-FB5C55E339AE.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 44
  • B611A1E4-C032-4BD8-8784-27E12DBC329C.jpeg
    B611A1E4-C032-4BD8-8784-27E12DBC329C.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 325B0E6B-A15F-4FCF-A2CE-9193082DF0BF.jpeg
    325B0E6B-A15F-4FCF-A2CE-9193082DF0BF.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gulfliverock order came in today for the refugium. I had given up hope but they emailed yesterday that they had fresh stuff so I couldn’t resist. I also framed out my tank on my back deck so I can start to play with the dry rock for the actual display this weekend. Second return pump arrived. I’m just waiting on the tank and trying to find someone who will come out and drill the granite for the plumbing.
BE2B19F8-EEF9-479D-8528-63DB6A32A297.jpeg
8F495E05-5452-4762-8DD1-C1FE8DB3D08C.jpeg
C72B02A3-FA0B-4FDD-BB37-5F2F9B220B46.jpeg

Attachments

• C934D06F-E04D-4F37-84C3-C5D51EC2D6E1.jpeg
    C934D06F-E04D-4F37-84C3-C5D51EC2D6E1.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dead rock has arrived and I started goofing off with it yesterday. I had our granite countertop drilled for the plumbing and I added 1 of 2 steel jacks under the tank for support.

Working on dialing in the plumbing today and ordering the plumbing for the overflow.
Not sure if I should go 80 or 40…

I’m having a problem dialing in my manifold. Trying to use a DC pump and not the ball valves to dial in the carbon and refugium return and it’s like herding cats.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: The tank was completed and water tested last week by @glasscages. Unfortunately it’s going to take two weeks to ship + shipping time but thus is life.

Decided I wasn’t comfortable having a 50g ATO reservoir and solenoid for an ATO so I’m going to have a 10g tank with an LLS, physical float switch, and solenoid auto fill 2x a week and use a Tunze ATO. This should mean at worst it will dump 10g of water in the tank. I’ll also have an auxiliary fill on a solenoid so I can manually add water if the ATO pump dies.

Have my 3 knock off Kessil A360x’s to go in between my Radions.

Upgraded my manifold/refugium pump to a Jebao 3000gph as the COR-15 couldn’t keep up with what I needed.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back