Bubble Coral Irritated?

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have this large beautiful Blue Bubble Coral that has been doing great for months but over the last 2 weeks I've noticed the center part of it has had much less polyp extension than the sides. It doesn't appear to be losing any flesh, but the bubbles aren't really coming out all that much. I'm wondering if something could be irritating it? Please see attached photos for reference.

It originally started as a smaller patch that wasn't extending as much but has since spread a bit which is what has me concerned.

I've tried blowing out any sand that may have gotten into it but that hasn't seemed to help.
I'd prefer to do a dip last resort as it has various little tunicates, sponges and what not living on the side of its skeleton I'd rather not kill but obviously if a dip is the best course of action, I will do so.

In terms of dips, what would be the best option for a pest dip? I have Red Sea DipX but if there's a better option out there, I'm happy to try that.

Any other suggestions or insights are welcome. This is one of my absolute favorite pieces so I'd like to do whatever I can do get it back on track!

IMG-7145.jpg IMG-7146.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call, this does kind of look like a sting. I've had my bubbles get stung by other stuff. I've moved the Alveopora away.

@blaxsun I don't think Bubbles sting each other. Similar to hammers etc.
You'll have to let us know if this was the alveopora.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to let us know if this was the alveopora.
I'll definitely update. I feel a bit silly not realizing this was a likely a sting. I've had my bubbles stung before and it pretty much looked just like this. Never thought of Alveopora as aggressive but I guess so! I'll keep an eye on the Bubble, hopefully it recovers quickly.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll definitely update. I feel a bit silly not realizing this was a likely a sting. I've had my bubbles stung before and it pretty much looked just like this. Never thought of Alveopora as aggressive but I guess so! I'll keep an eye on the Bubble, hopefully it recovers quickly.
I had a goniopora that was repeatedly stung by a torch to the point where I thought it had died off. I've never had any issues with alveopora or goniopora stinging anything (but I have lost a few flowerpots to other corals).

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a goniopora that was repeatedly stung by a torch to the point where I thought it had died off. I've never had any issues with alveopora or goniopora stinging anything (but I have lost a few flowerpots to other corals).
Yeah, I've never had issues with Alve's or Goni's stinging. I've had this Alevopora next to the Bubble for quite awhile and it hasn't been an issue but it really does seem like the most likely culprit. I'll see if the Bubble improves or not before trying to dip it.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've never had issues with Alve's or Goni's stinging. I've had this Alevopora next to the Bubble for quite awhile and it hasn't been an issue but it really does seem like the most likely culprit. I'll see if the Bubble improves or not before trying to dip it.
Best of luck in any event!

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - Seems like stinging was the problem. It's already bouncing back!

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, my bubbles definitely sting other stuff too. They've got the longest stingers of anything in my tank. They've got their own corner for the most part.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 90 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 56 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back