Bubble Coral: Tips and Pointers... cant keep to save my life!

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble coral need to be in a very dim shaded spot with low flow. They also need to be fed a few times a week to thrive. Form follows function so the bubbles are there to increase surface area for their symbiotic algae to capture light. They are a very active feeding coral at night so I believe they get alot of their nutrition through hunting rather than photosynthesis. The bubbles don't do well in high flow or medium flow as they tear on the skeleton. Good luck

Don't mean to disagree. But watch this please..
Green bubble coral: http://youtu.be/tSxtCx9v7L0

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine started low light and low flow. Grew much faster in moderate flow and higher light.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1425088830771-1-1.jpg
    FB_IMG_1425088830771-1-1.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 20150227_210154.jpg
    20150227_210154.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 144

FX CharityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are always exceptions to the rule. If you were not feeding it enough when in lower light then moving it to higher light where photosynthesis could occur would give better growth due to more energy avail. Your flow is more wave action and I should have clarified that they do not like constant linear flow

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also have a pearl coral opposed to a bubble coral. Very similar but polyps are different shaped
Didn't know there was a difference. I do feed twice a week though. Color me embarrassed. Lol thanks for the schooling.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bubble that I have killed 3 times and it has come back. Don't ever get rid of the skeleton, should it die on you. Mine stays inflated really large, until my wave boxes turn on then shrinks up to smaller size bubbles. I have it at the opposite end of my wave boxes and gyre on an 8' tank It is shaded by a very large rock and is on the outside of the Maxspect Razor.

I moved it from the location in this video to the far right, behind the Pavona;
Is this pearl as well?

FX CharityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one is a little harder to say as the polyps are not all inflated. Im leaning towards a green pearl. Bubbles have larger smoother kidney looking polyps

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading about them just now and it says there are three types. All differ by ther skeletal structure. All may have misshapen bubbles and various colors. "Pearl bubbles" are only called that because of the bubbles being smaller. Would you agree?. I just like to learn. So I don't spread falsities.

OP
OP
S

scottyitsk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everytime my bubble coral died, I think it was cause by flow.... I think they ripped the vesicles on the skeletal structure of itself. ... once That happens..it seems the coral goes downhill fast from there... I think I'm going to try finding an almost stagnant section in the tank..or making one. .. and see how things go ! Nowww, to find me another breathtaking bubble colony :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back