Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 36 15.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 53 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 131 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 5.6%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

For many of us, our first fish tank came from a local store and then we have replaced or added to our collection of tans. Often the first aquarium was a basic commodity tank, or we may have started with (or upgraded to) a well-recognized tank manufacturer like RedSea, WaterBox, or another comparable brand. However, there is another option. It is possible to build your own tank or to have a custom-built tank for you. Some choose to build a tank for the challenge, others purchase a custom-tank because of the need for special dimensions, and still others want a custom-tank to be able to be part of the build process, make decisions along the way, and know about the details of their tank. Have you ever built a tank or had a custom-tank built? If so, tell us about the process and share any tips or recommendations that you learned during the process.

naterealbig_CustomTank.jpeg

Photo by @naterealbig

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com
TSABanner2.jpeg

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.”

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For many of us, our first fish tank came from a local store and then we have replaced or added to our collection of tans. Often the first aquarium was a basic commodity tank, or we may have started with (or upgraded to) a well-recognized tank manufacturer like RedSea, WaterBox, or another comparable brand. However, there is another option. It is possible to build your own tank or to have a custom-built tank for you. Some choose to build a tank for the challenge, others purchase a custom-tank because of the need for special dimensions, and still others want a custom-tank to be able to be part of the build process, make decisions along the way, and know about the details of their tank. Have you ever built a tank or had a custom-tank built? If so, tell us about the process and share any tips or recommendations that you learned during the process.

Photo by @naterealbig

TSABanner2.jpeg

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.”
I hope too in the future!

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have built many of them, generally with usable panes of glass from cracked tanks. Even cut the glass. My silicone jobs are not pretty and not really suitable for a center piece display tank but very useful for holding, observation, frag or QT tanks. I like that I can use thicker glass than you would normally get and customize the size.

FuriuzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not tanks but i did make alot of terrariums/vivariums back in the days when i still kept tarantulas.
When doing it for the first time it feels very difficult but once you get the hang of it there's nothing difficult about it.

Don't be shy with using enough silicone!!

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built this 14' 850 gallon reef 25 years ago. It's constructed with 1/2 plate glass with euro braces on the bottom and top of the tank. I had the 2 end tank front panels bent by a company in Pennsylvania.

I constructed this onsite building the center "Reef" area first then added the 2 pie shaped bow fronts on each end.
This tank was the most viewed "Picture" ever on Reef Central before it was hacked and they lost all data.

The tank has went through many changes, I would say the only thing original at this point, is the glass itself. The Cabinetry was updated, The lighting ( 5 Times ) filtration, sumps 3 times.

It truly is in its best existence now, and I think I can clearly state it's from the stability of Apex monitoring and controlling brings to the system.

I'll dig up some old photos tonight from the construction phase.

IMG_6759.jpg

Wire Chases .jpg

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built this 14' 850 gallon reef 25 years ago. It's constructed with 1/2 plate glass with euro braces on the bottom and top of the tank. I had the 2 end tank front panels bent by a company in Pennsylvania.

I constructed this onsite building the center "Reef" area first then added the 2 pie shaped bow fronts on each end.
This tank was the most viewed "Picture" ever on Reef Central before it was hacked and they lost all data.

The tank has went through many changes, I would say the only thing original at this point, is the glass itself. The Cabinetry was updated, The lighting ( 5 Times ) filtration, sumps 3 times.

It truly is in its best existence now, and I think I can clearly state it's from the stability of Apex monitoring and controlling brings to the system.

I'll dig up some old photos tonight from the construction phase.

IMG_6759.jpg

Wire Chases .jpg
What are those things on the side? QT?

cnaegler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been out of the hobby about 13 years. I just got back in with a custom built Customaquariums.com 350 gallon peninsula reef tank 6'L x4'W x2'H. I set it on a Framing Tech extruded aluminum stand. I'm almost done with acquiring all my equipment, so now, I just need to setup my RODI storage so I can get this sucker set up and cycling.

Attachments

• PXL_20240411_183410785.jpg
    PXL_20240411_183410785.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20240411_183359826.jpg
    PXL_20240411_183359826.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 70

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the separated glass siding with the wood in between. Are they just 2 separate aquariums?
Yes, sorry, wanted to make sure I was answering correctly. Per the original post ( 2 pie shaped bow fronts on each end. )

I wanted to have 2 ares in the display to have Non Reef safe fish running on the same water.

All three tanks are tied to a sump 100' away in a custom sump room in the garage

Sump Room.jpg

jbrady429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just had a 100 gallon (48" x 24" x 21") tank made by @GlassCages. It's still a build in progress, but I'm very happy with the tank! Joe is awesome to work with and he absolutely supports the customer. The tanks are high quality, and you get exactly what you want.

tank.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first reef tank I built bck in 1986 with salvaged glass. I've built a few more over the years but for the most part off the shelf glass tanks are cheaper. Only reason I see now for DIY is to get a custom shape.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Back in the 80's and early 90's I had 4 breeding pairs of discus and always needed grow out tanks. So I made a dozen or so, 30" x 18" x 14" tanks. Back then 1/4" salvage glass was cheap.
15 years ago I made a 32" x 24" x 20" tank out of 3/8" low iron glass. Turned out pretty good
But since custom tanks from a tank marker has been my go to.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Built a few. Rebuilt a few. Going back to slate bottom tanks with metal frames.
Now it’s acrylic. I find it’s easier to work with. And lighter too.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process designing several tanks I want custom built. From QT through main. Like a custom tailored suit to perfectly fix my fit. Why I ask so many crazy questions

WhatCouldGoWrong71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Photo by @naterealbig

TSABanner2.jpeg

This is being built as we speak. I have been driving Joe and David cray cray, as I am trying to get it spot on. My sump is being built by GEO, I am not near final drawings to share that yet, lots of revisions since I finalized some changes on the tank. Antonio from VCA created the flow, I shouldn't have the need for any powerheads in this system. However, I need to figure out power failure without the use of battery backed up MP60s. I need to figure out how to get the A400 (closed loop) on some type of power backup.

Created By VGA.jpg Stand.JPG Tank.JPG

nostalgiaforinfinity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Photo by @naterealbig

TSABanner2.jpeg

Photo by @naterealbig

TSABanner2.jpeg

I’d really like to build a freshwater tank for my cabinet, but it’s pretty daunting for me especially as a 13 year old. I’d like to build something with my hands this summer, though. Would i need a blueprint? Or can i just get a volume formula and the dimensions of my cabinet. Thanks all.
-BW

BillFish Coral Lover

Most Excellent Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one built last year by Crystal Dynamics Aquariums near San Diego. I received the t-slots for the stand recently and am looking forward to setting it up and attempting my first hard plumbing system. I am worried about the integrity of the seams on the tank after whole year, though.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 55 42.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 64 49.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 10 7.8%
Back