Bump on fairy wrasse head

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I recently bought a new house and a new tank. I swapped everything over about a month ago. Everything did well with the transition (except I lost my goatfish during transport).

I noticed yesterday that my orangeback fairy has a bump on his nose that looks like a pimple. I've had him for years and have never seen this before. Today he has been acting lethargic (laying on the sand, which he never does) and won't eat. The bump also has a white spot at the end now. I am curious if anyone knows what caused this and what I should do for him. I was thinking maybe stress or an injury. Any input would be appreciated.

Video for reference

Last edited:

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I recently bought a new house and a new tank. I swapped everything over about a month ago. Everything did well with the transition (except I lost my goatfish during transport).

I noticed yesterday that my orangeback fairy has a bump on his nose that looks like a pimple. I've had him for years and have never seen this before. Today he has been acting lethargic (laying on the sand, which he never does) and won't eat. The bump also has a white spot at the end now. I am curious if anyone knows what caused this and what I should do for him. I was thinking maybe stress or an injury. Any input would be appreciated.

Video for reference

@vetteguy53081

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an injury to me - something may have caused the fish to "start" and run into something. It does seem kind of "flighty". I also see some damage to its tail fin (missing a few rays). Has that been like that?

OP
OP
Ev8siveaz

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasses tend to get at each other every now and then. They have done that off and on for the past 3 years or so. It's never gotten to a point where he hasn't eaten before. Ge didn't even look at food for either feeding today.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasses tend to get at each other every now and then. They have done that off and on for the past 3 years or so. It's never gotten to a point where he hasn't eaten before. Ge didn't even look at food for either feeding today.

Hmmm, that's a bad sign. Normally, if it was a minor injury, the fish would only be off feed for a day or less. If it is a major injury, the fish may not recover. Another possibility is that this isn't an injury at all, but rather some internal infection. Trouble is, there is no clear sign what type of infection that might be, so there is no way to devise a treatment.

OP
OP
Ev8siveaz

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, that's a bad sign. Normally, if it was a minor injury, the fish would only be off feed for a day or less. If it is a major injury, the fish may not recover. Another possibility is that this isn't an injury at all, but rather some internal infection. Trouble is, there is no clear sign what type of infection that might be, so there is no way to devise a treatment.
Jay,

He is back to his normal self and eating like a pig today. The bump appears to be going down too.

Back