Buying a used redsea reefer 450

haroldsteen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would you buy a second hand redsea reefer 450 that is 3 years old why would you do it or why wouldn't you do it thanks in advance

ps: i already have a 55g reeftank the redsea reefer 450 would be a upgrade for my 1 year old 55g reeftank

Last edited:

Research Monkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used Reefer 250 (Original one, with the Red Sea branded AI26HDs) before I heard about all the of the seam problems with the bigger tanks. Now that I know about the potential issue it does make me think about things differently. For example, having a plan on what I would need to do if it did spring a leak (though this is probably something all reefers should do).

Decided to keep the tank and keep moving forward anyway. I wasnt really in a financial position to drop $2k+ on a tank and then purchase lights afterwards.

Looking back, i think i should have just saved a bit more $$ to drop on something new. This was an "upgrade" from a 20 gallon AIO.

OP
OP
H

haroldsteen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used Reefer 250 (Original one, with the Red Sea branded AI26HDs) before I heard about all the of the seam problems with the bigger tanks. Now that I know about the potential issue it does make me think about things differently. For example, having a plan on what I would need to do if it did spring a leak (though this is probably something all reefers should do).

Decided to keep the tank and keep moving forward anyway. I wasnt really in a financial position to drop $2k+ on a tank and then purchase lights afterwards.

Looking back, i think i should have just saved a bit more $$ to drop on something new. This was an "upgrade" from a 20 gallon AIO.
Yes this is also a upgrade for me i already have a 55g reeftank

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an ideal setup is a red sea reef tank loaded in the back of a 1978 ford pinto, being driven home in bumper to bumper traffic, with plans to install a neotherm 200 watt heater from 2014.

that's a triple recipe for fire, flood and servepro/ stat

these companies didn't do good r&d/

OP
OP
H

haroldsteen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what’s holding me back to buy a redsea reefer

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harold whats ironic is my only reef is a goldfish bowl

I literally have a wal mart fishbowl as my reef tank; in any decent social circle that makes me unqualified to remark on what happens to big tankers

but work threads don't ask if we're legit reefers lol they just show shattered dreams when dealing in red sea, and a ratio of several thousand happy owners, no busts, and now several hundred/potentially thousands of busted tank owners

there's a legit mix of good and bad with them, who wants that

Oceanic never did this in the 90s, every person I ever knew took one from a pet shop and loved those 1000lb 55 gallon tanks.

What red sea does on their facebook page/ban anyone who tries to reference that thread/ is why they're getting the wrath of brandon429 for the next decade. the logged patterns of peers counts all the way in their reliability. after all, wal mart vases aren't shattering and flooding people's countertops/the standard exists if we shop around for alternates.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats what red sea deserves

not for having a quality control issue, my new nissan 2022 frontier can't be assured it'll stay in park, there's a pin missing in the xmission it's on the national nissan website as an upcoming recall

and I forgive them, and use the parking brake a lot lol

they preemptively let me know this via email, before I smashed into an abutment slow-rolling style.

Red sea is trying to bury it plainly. they dont allow ANY discussion of this outcome on their social media pages, so they deserve to lose revenue.

I won't let them live this down, one squeaky little voice of persistence from the internets

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Harold whats ironic is my only reef is a goldfish bowl
True
I literally have a wal mart fishbowl as my reef tank; in any decent social circle that makes me unqualified to remark on what happens to big tankers
True

but work threads don't ask if we're legit reefers lol they just show shattered dreams when dealing in red sea, and a ratio of several thousand happy owners, no busts, and now several hundred/potentially thousands of busted tank owners

there's a legit mix of good and bad with them, who wants that
True - but - there should be IMHO an analysis as to the incidence of other tanks - OR - if one wants to be an investigative reporter - call/contact the company
Oceanic never did this in the 90s, every person I ever knew took one from a pet shop and loved those 1000lb 55 gallon tanks.

What red sea does on their facebook page/ban anyone who tries to reference that thread/ is why they're getting the wrath of brandon429 for the next decade. the logged patterns of peers counts all the way in their reliability. after all, wal mart vases aren't shattering and flooding people's countertops/the standard exists if we shop around for alternates.
In the 90's there was no Facebook page.. There was no false reviews, people just complaining. Redsea has great customer service if you use them.. I'm not recommending a RedSea tank - however I also do not think there is a conspiracy here.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I can say, after seeing fifteen + more new seam breaks since January, this was an accurate call made at the start of the year. It’s been worse, not better, I’d never own any version of a rs tank going solely off examples uploaded after January 2023. No conspiracy, solely off the testimony of others with destroyed floors.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I think it’s the stands sagging that are causing the problems with the seams. I would keep the tank but build my own stand that is much more rigid!

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd thoroughly check the seams, and if they show no signs of failure, I'd put it on a custom stand where the entire tank is supported (no front hanging glass). Then I'd throw the Red Sea stand in the fire pit. But of course, the tank itself would have to be highly discounted from MSRP to even consider this.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also base my distrust on the evaluations of reefers I do trust.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And I can say, after seeing fifteen + more new seam breaks since January, this was an accurate call made at the start of the year. It’s been worse, not better, I’d never own any version of a rs tank going solely off examples uploaded after January 2023. No conspiracy, solely off the testimony of others with destroyed floors.
I would never (again- having done once before - from an LFS - and not RedSea, buy a used tank

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back