Evolution of an Evo 13.5

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting ready to slowly start my setup of my Fluval Evo 13.5. After running a 150 gallon, 55 gallon before taking a break from the hobby, I currently have a Fluval Flex 32.5 running. I’ve been wanting to set up a “nano tank” for a while, and now that my son is a little older I thought it would be a great experience for him to help set it up and everything else as we go along.

I’ve had a bad habit in the past of wanting to get water into my tanks as fast as possible and swapping equipment as I go or just never upgrading it to avoid the hassle. With this tank I plan on taking my time and getting every piece of equipment I want before setting it up. I also plan on doing an aquascape for once, instead of just stacking/ arranging rocks to make it easier for my coral placement.

Tank Plan

This tank will share space in the living room where my Flex 32.5 is also located. Our freshwater planted freshwater setup is located in our dining room/ kitchen area. I plan on making this tank as visually appealing as possible and focus on successful coral placement and growth.

I’m anticipating stocking it with mostly LPS and softies, I don’t have a definite live stock plan yet aside from a shrimp and a CUC. Staying with my theme, I would much rather find a visually appealing inhabitant(s) who love to swim and move around the tank over cramming as many small fish in there as possible.

Current Progress:
As of writing this I have the tank and ordered a stand which just came in as well.

Lighting:
I plan on keeping the stock light for the start of the tank and waiting to upgrade it until I feel as though it’s necessary. I currently have a Fluval Marine 3.0 I would consider adding to it. If I use it for something else or sell it the other lighting I’m considering would be
Kessil A360X
NooPsyche K7 Mini
AI Prime 16HD

Filtration:
InTank Media Basket
Intank chamber 1 plug
Assorted filtration media
InTank filter floss pads

Misc:
Upgrading the stock pump to the Syncra 1.0

I’m thinking between the upgraded return pump and doing the VCA Ultimate Nano Random Flow Generating nozzles I could eliminate the need for adding a powerhead? I would be interested in hearing thoughts on this.

Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152 ATO

Eheim Jager TruTemp 100W heater or Aqueon pro 100W

I was originally going to do an InkBird wifi temp controller on this tank like on my flex, but I’m now considering going with the Hydros X3 controller setup. Between me purchasing another inkbird, power strip, and a separate dosing pump, it would be pretty much the same cost for me to go Hydros and get all of that, app control for each individual outlet, and also a PH probe and leak detection.

As always plans can change and nothing is set in stone, so as things progress I will keep the post very well updated! I should hopefully be building the stand sometime this week and getting that and the tank placed.
3.jpg

1.jpg

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prime is the light you want. Don't plug the hole in the second chamber, the media basket fits so tight that when the floss starts to clog, the return chamber will empty causing your ato to dump in around half a gallon of fresh. You're still going to want a small wavemaker running on low. Even with the upgraded return, there are still a lot of dead spots in the tank.

OP
OP
JZ199

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prime is the light you want. Don't plug the hole in the second chamber, the media basket fits so tight that when the floss starts to clog, the return chamber will empty causing your ato to dump in around half a gallon of fresh. You're still going to want a small wavemaker running on low. Even with the upgraded return, there are still a lot of dead spots in the tank.
I almost went with 2 primes on my current tank and ended up giving the Noopsyche a try... I'm still not sure how I feel about it, I miss having an acclimation feature, and without BeanAnimal's app for making a QR code the app is insanely difficult to use. I'm a huge fan of the way the kessils look, but it's way easier to find a deal on the primes than it is on those, so I think I'll end up doing a Prime eventually. I'm hoping the stock light, or the addition of the Marine 3.0 can hold me over with some LPS until I upgrade.

I'll probably end up getting a nero 3 or a jebao to add in there just to be safe for low power. I have a jebao running on my tank now along with a fluval and have 0 complaints about it for the price and control module.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back