CADE-a-palooza - SaltwaterandLime's RAP raffle win build thread

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally group all of my tanks into one chaotic rambling build thread which you can find over at SaltwaterandLime's epic adhd build thread.... but because of the added excitement of this tank i thought it deserved its own thread.

1000021732.jpg

This past weekend my husband and I attended reefapalooza in Orlando, FL. In my household I am the reefer and it's my husband who thankfully puts up with my chaos and hauls buckets of water whenever I ask him to and gets drug to all these shows he'd rather not be at.

Before we left the house to head to the show, he made me promise no more new tanks. (I suffer from MTS). ........and then fate and luck came together and HE won a new tank in a raffle. Like seriously, why did he even enter the raffle of he didn't want me to have another tank? He's been grumpy ever since we won, grumbling about wasting a lifetime of good luck on a tank when what he really wanted to win was a new rifle.... (ok but really he's happy, he just likes grumbling.... ok maybe he's a little annoyed....)

Thanks to @AquaticReefDesign , @Kessil , @cadeusa , and @AlgaeBarn for making this happen!!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally group all of my tanks into one chaotic rambling build thread which you can find over at SaltwaterandLime's epic adhd build thread.... but because of the added excitement of this tank i thought it deserved its own thread.

1000021732.jpg

This past weekend my husband and I attended reefapalooza in Orlando, FL. In my household I am the reefer and it's my husband who thankfully puts up with my chaos and hauls buckets of water whenever I ask him to and gets drug to all these shows he'd rather not be at.

Before we left the house to head to the show, he made me promise no more new tanks. (I suffer from MTS). ........and then fate and luck came together and HE won a new tank in a raffle. Like seriously, why did he even enter the raffle of he didn't want me to have another tank? He's been grumpy ever since we won, grumbling about wasting a lifetime of good luck on a tank when what he really wanted to win was a new rifle.... (ok but really he's happy, he just likes grumbling.... ok maybe he's a little annoyed....)

Thanks to @AquaticReefDesign , @Kessil , @cadeusa , and @AlgaeBarn for making this happen!!
When you die I am going to marry your husband. I can't win anything but my wife, like your husband isn't excited about having any more tanks in the house.

Congratulations to you both! I could not be happier for you scoring a new tank in this fashion. Did you get any other goodies at the show?

Right Here Winner GIF by Bowling Clash: New Legends

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly to avoid annoying my husband any more than I already have, my goal is to set this system up using as much of the random reefing equipment I have stored all over the house already as I possibly can and try my best to not need to purchase anything new.

Over the past 5 years of reefing I have planned out a million projects in my head that I purchased gear for and never used, or started and then gave up on way too soon. I'd rather not admit to how much storage space in my house (and in my garage, and storage shed, and mom's barn, and grandparents storage....) is dedicated to things I bought that I didn't need...or hobbies I started then lost interest in...

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations to you both! I could not be happier for you scoring a new tank in this fashion. Did you get any other goodies at the show?

The tank came with a kessil a360x light and mount, the rock scape made with caribsea liferock, a bag of sand, a bucket of brightwell neomarine salt, and a brightwell starter kit of bacteria starter.

Oh, and this awesome squishy clownfish from ORA

1000021730.jpg

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be honest, there was a brief period of time where we were considering selling it instead of setting it up.

I currently have a 30g innovative marine AIO that we've talked about upgrading eventually.... but those plans were still a long way off and this CADE is no where near what we envisioned replacing it with.

All of my other tanks are lagoon style or frag type tanks that are short and easier for me to work on and this tank is so tall it's actually intimidating to stand next to. Also all of my other tanks have white stands and all of the furniture in my living room is white so having one random tank with a black stand wasn't in the plans either.

Now that it's in the house though it is definitely a beautiful system and I'm excited to see what we can make happen!

1000021780.jpg

1000021781.jpg

1000021784.jpg

1000021793.jpg

1000021794.jpg

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cade raffle came with a kessil a360x, but I think I'm going to swap it out with the kessil a500x I already have over my 50gal lagoon tank. I have the 500 over a very shallow tank and running at only about 30%. I think the 360 will do fine over that tank and I'll use the 500 on the much deeper cade system.

From previous tanks I have a Nero 3 puck style wavemaker and a redsea reefwave 25 gyre pump that I think will both work on the cade, I just have to check the glass thickness with those magnets.

For rock work I'm going to use the caribsea liferock tree kit that came with the tank, and although I've never done it before on any system I think I'm going to go barebottom in the cade. It's got a really nice looking white glass bottom that I think looks really neat compared to the typical black glass that most tanks have.

For a return pump I have a jebao 600 DC pump that I bought for the 50g lagoon tank before finding out it didn't fit in the sump I bought.

I have an extra IM helios heater that I keep for whenever I need a quick hospital or quarantine tank so for now I can just use that even though I don't think the element i have is quite a high enough wattage to get through the winter months it'll be fine for the summer.

I don't have an extra skimmer but I don't absolutely need one to start out

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm leaning towards a plan of lower flow LPS and some softys in this tank.

I have SPS and euphyllia in my 150g, and bubble tip anemones in my 50g lagoon. The 30 gallon that the CADE will be replacing currently has just softys.

I would really love to be able to have a carpet anemone in a tank one day, but I'm not sure I'm ready to set that up quite yet.

1000021807.jpg

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more that the family and I discuss this tank.....the more we are considering turning the CADE tank into the SPS tank and leaving all the LPS in the larger 150.

Austin and the boys are really much more LPS fans.... I'm the only sps lover in the house....and if I want to keep this tank barebottom for reasons anyway, or just makes sense.

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swapping out my kessil a500x for the new 360 that came with the CADE giveaway. Going to use the 500 on the CADE instead since that tank is so much deeper than my IM lagoon. Borrowed a PAR meter from Aquatic Reef Design to make sure things are staying mostly the same over the BTAs. Need to order another kessil extension arm to get it back centered, though. Fun fact, if you take a wifi dongle off of one kessil light and place it on another, it saves all the programming. I only had to adjust the intensity.

1000021856.jpg

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light for the CADE 600 is going to be the kessil a500x with my Reef Brite xho add on. I think I can get both of them controlled with the Apex. I think those two together will be plenty at least for the beginning.

I'm back and forth between running barebottom and using the large size reborn media.

Ivarr has been helping me build a new rock scape.

1000021886.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back