First Time Reefer - Cade 600 S2

fhdsdmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Im new to Reefing but after decades of being away from the tropical fish hobby I decided to start a new adventure.

I agonized over what to do and where to start and unfortunately i only have 1 friend in the hobby and he only started a couple months before me. :) i wish i thought of forums first as there is a ton of information here - but over the years ive learned a lot about a lot on youtube so started there. Anyway ...

as you can see in the title i ultimately went with Cade. Red Sea and Waterbox were the other tanks i considered but something about the true cube dimensions of the cade sold me. as for equipment i have been ... "collecting for a few months" ... and have the following:

Return Pump: Vectra M2 ( maybe way more pump than i currently need - but thought the extra capacity might be useful because the Cade pumping comes with a manifold and i might add a reactor, algae scrubber and or UV in the future - also - and maybe this is the preferred method - might plumb the uv inline and to make that work there will be lots of elbows ... thought maybe im over thinking)

Light: reefi uno 2.0 pro ( had to be a little different - hopefully works out - lights arent cheap - xr30 was the other option i was considering - lot more information/track record/history with the radion and sticking with the Ecotech family and integration with a future Apex were all selling points - though i still order the Reefi ... ) i want to do SPS eventually - hopefully the one pendant with some supplemental strip leds will get me there.

Powerhead: Vortech MP10 - layer i will probably add the new AI Gyre but i think the vortech will get me started

Protein Skimmer: Maxspect Jump SK400 - here is where the trouble probably starts - i love great reviews and marketing but somehow the dimensions on paper and what these things look like dont seem to work out ... likely WAY bigger than i need .. we will see

RollerMatt: ClariSea SK-3000 - trouble continues - this and the protein skimmer both fit in the sump - but then there is no room for a refugium and of course i 'need' one of those ... and ... there is where the real trouble comes - modifying a brand new sump before ever using one...

Lets see how all of this turns out....

As everyone in the hobby and my girlfriend knows (im getting more boxes delivered now than she does) - there are a ton of other things - heaters, test strips, RODI stuff, bottles and jars and .... well ... list goes on and my credit card is HOT!!!!!

If you get one of these ... even the smallest one - have a friend ready for delivery day!!!

image6.jpeg

OP
OP
F

fhdsdmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ... where the roller matt/skimmer/return pump and desire for a refugium create potential problems ... modifying the sump. I will say the RedSea kit for this is AWESOME!!! - some of the joints on the Cade i could do with a razor and fishing line - but most where too tight. The metal in the redsea kits are really thin... made it a breeze... i can get everything in there now .... the emergency overflow will not get filtered through the roller but that should be ok ... i hope ... going to have to create something like an overhang though around the roller matt to give the pump enough room. ill look at getting some glass later this week. - see what i can make up ... the attached pics should tell the story. Worse case - i wont cut the pieces i took out so restoring to stock wont be impossible.

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg image5.jpeg

OP
OP
F

fhdsdmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok - this forum and all of the collaboration and sharing is GREAT - new ideas... this sump is only a glass box with baffles... i can make this roller work - i just need to get i back to the box and build it back up... i should be able to increase the width of the return and drain area - rotate the roller 90 degrees from my current setup. ill sacrifice one of the media baskets but otherwise the flow should remain the same ..... i can probably keep the vectra pump - but as there is an APEX in my near future im going to look into exchanging for a cor-15 ... i think... hopefully putting the panels back is almost as easy as removing them... just need to stay away from the edges so i dont create any leaks!!!

more cutting tonight!!!

OP
OP
F

fhdsdmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure how i thought all of this was going to work ... i need to learn to add ... not fit one component at a time in my head... also need to focus on the tank i bought and not buy components for the tank i want. ... anyway - i think its all going to fit .... design of the sump has changed allot and i will loose the media baskets but thats ok - i ordered some rock rubble from tampa bay live rock and that can just sit in the refugium with the algae ... have a piece few pieces of glass to cut but thats another skill to learn and a few more tools to add to the collection.

the sump will have to sit an inch or so off the back wall to make clearance for the roller matt bracket. im sure the clamps i removed were only needed for shipping so the new location and some soft pipe should be fine. :thinking-face:

one panel down the middle to separate the filter and skimmer from the return pump and fuge. some baffles to separate the return pump and hold a sponge to try and keep the unfortunate away from the impeller.

Attachments

• trialfit3.jpeg
    trialfit3.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 86
  • trialfit2.jpeg
    trialfit2.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 80

erichatesmice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, I'm sorry about your equipment troubles. I have a Cade S900 which has the same sump design as yours. I was able to fit a Reefmat 500 and Deltec 600i skimmer in there without any modifications to the sump and still keep my media chamber intact. I previously used a Clarisea SK3000 and that is even easier to fit because it is smaller. I do not have a refugium in mine because of the same reason as you: there's not really enough space and there would be too much light spill. I did add a second tank to the dry chamber (which you do not have) but I only filled it with more rubble and media. I actually downgraded from a 100g nem dominant tank to the S900 about 8 months ago so I re-used my established rock. The only place the algae takes hold is on the powerhead. I heavily stock and feed my tank as well. By the way, that is a good light; I use it too!

IMG_5675.jpg

IMG_5679.jpg

For this kind of tank at this size you should not be married to the idea of a refugium. There are ways to solve algae issues without it. In my opinion the best thing would be to find a source of good, established live rock, fill up your media chamber with rubble, and take your time stocking your tank. I think for a first time reefer like yourself, starting with dry (dead) rock and adding in extra elements like a refugium especially in a small tank like an S600 is going to be frustrating. The biological filtration, filter fleece, and skimmer will do their job.

Even though I've been doing this for a long time, I waited a good six months before I started adding new corals to the tank. Patience is key and the good thing is that it is much cheaper too! That's why in the photo below I have tiny frags and big colonies (from my old tank) and nothing really in between.

I do a 20% water change once a month and this photo was taken a day before my next water change.

IMG_5702-Edit.gif

OP
OP
F

fhdsdmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, I'm sorry about your equipment troubles. I have a Cade S900 which has the same sump design as yours. I was able to fit a Reefmat 500 and Deltec 600i skimmer in there without any modifications to the sump and still keep my media chamber intact. I previously used a Clarisea SK3000 and that is even easier to fit because it is smaller. I do not have a refugium in mine because of the same reason as you: there's not really enough space and there would be too much light spill. I did add a second tank to the dry chamber (which you do not have) but I only filled it with more rubble and media. I actually downgraded from a 100g nem dominant tank to the S900 about 8 months ago so I re-used my established rock. The only place the algae takes hold is on the powerhead. I heavily stock and feed my tank as well. By the way, that is a good light; I use it too!

IMG_5675.jpg

IMG_5679.jpg

For this kind of tank at this size you should not be married to the idea of a refugium. There are ways to solve algae issues without it. In my opinion the best thing would be to find a source of good, established live rock, fill up your media chamber with rubble, and take your time stocking your tank. I think for a first time reefer like yourself, starting with dry (dead) rock and adding in extra elements like a refugium especially in a small tank like an S600 is going to be frustrating. The biological filtration, filter fleece, and skimmer will do their job.

Even though I've been doing this for a long time, I waited a good six months before I started adding new corals to the tank. Patience is key and the good thing is that it is much cheaper too! That's why in the photo below I have tiny frags and big colonies (from my old tank) and nothing really in between.

I do a 20% water change once a month and this photo was taken a day before my next water change.

IMG_5702-Edit.gif
Wow!!! That looks awesome - anemone is Huge!!! Corals have great colors too!!!

Yeah - definitely made some poor equipment choices - starting to agree the refugium might not be the best choice. I’m going to stick with my new sump layout- maybe order some addition live rock - I’ll see what comes with the first order. I can revisit the refug later.

OP
OP
F

fhdsdmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought some glass and i think i have a solution that will work ... one more trip to the home store for plumbing bits and i should be in business. Going to give the silicone a couple days to dry and test the sump in the shower - make sure i didnt create a problem and the design works as expected... that said after a little early mistake (scrap wood to raise the baffle was a little to long to get out - oscillating tool to the rescue) - i think i have something that works - at least everything fits. even have space for a powerhead to create a high flo area for dosing... but yeah - chateo refugium is out... maybe an algae scrubber down the road ... manifold should work for that.

cutting glass isnt too hard - even managed a curve. gluing up the panels ... different story - the people that build these things are amazing - i have the skills of a toddler!!! fortunately no one will see these joints but me.

Attachments

• test_fit2.jpeg
    test_fit2.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 52
  • test_fit1.jpeg
    test_fit1.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 49
  • oops_too_long.jpeg
    oops_too_long.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 52
  • all_glued_up.jpeg
    all_glued_up.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 50

Glowurm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Im new to Reefing but after decades of being away from the tropical fish hobby I decided to start a new adventure.

I agonized over what to do and where to start and unfortunately i only have 1 friend in the hobby and he only started a couple months before me. :) i wish i thought of forums first as there is a ton of information here - but over the years ive learned a lot about a lot on youtube so started there. Anyway ...

as you can see in the title i ultimately went with Cade. Red Sea and Waterbox were the other tanks i considered but something about the true cube dimensions of the cade sold me. as for equipment i have been ... "collecting for a few months" ... and have the following:

Return Pump: Vectra M2 ( maybe way more pump than i currently need - but thought the extra capacity might be useful because the Cade pumping comes with a manifold and i might add a reactor, algae scrubber and or UV in the future - also - and maybe this is the preferred method - might plumb the uv inline and to make that work there will be lots of elbows ... thought maybe im over thinking)

Light: reefi uno 2.0 pro ( had to be a little different - hopefully works out - lights arent cheap - xr30 was the other option i was considering - lot more information/track record/history with the radion and sticking with the Ecotech family and integration with a future Apex were all selling points - though i still order the Reefi ... ) i want to do SPS eventually - hopefully the one pendant with some supplemental strip leds will get me there.

Powerhead: Vortech MP10 - layer i will probably add the new AI Gyre but i think the vortech will get me started

Protein Skimmer: Maxspect Jump SK400 - here is where the trouble probably starts - i love great reviews and marketing but somehow the dimensions on paper and what these things look like dont seem to work out ... likely WAY bigger than i need .. we will see

RollerMatt: ClariSea SK-3000 - trouble continues - this and the protein skimmer both fit in the sump - but then there is no room for a refugium and of course i 'need' one of those ... and ... there is where the real trouble comes - modifying a brand new sump before ever using one...

Lets see how all of this turns out....

As everyone in the hobby and my girlfriend knows (im getting more boxes delivered now than she does) - there are a ton of other things - heaters, test strips, RODI stuff, bottles and jars and .... well ... list goes on and my credit card is HOT!!!!!

If you get one of these ... even the smallest one - have a friend ready for delivery day!!!

image6.jpeg
Feels like you bought some heavy duty equipment for what is a 180 liter tank, makes me feel like i have skimped on mine (ordered today).

Will follow as ill soon be starting on my own reefing adventure.

OP
OP
F

fhdsdmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feels like you bought some heavy duty equipment for what is a 180 liter tank, makes me feel like i have skimped on mine (ordered today).

Will follow as ill soon be starting on my own reefing adventure.
Yeah. Very likely over bought and over complicated- couple mistakes a;ready for a first timer…. That said - it’s wet!!!! :)

OP
OP
F

fhdsdmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
roller Matt is in there - plus got a delivery of rubble rock and live sand from Tampa bay saltwater to get my cycle going. Couple freebies came with my order / serpent star and a flame scallop. Plus an extra serpent showed up a day later - must have been buried in the said.

Oh almost forgot - there is a baby hermit crab and some strange worms too. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1923.jpeg
    IMG_1923.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1921.jpeg
    IMG_1921.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1924.jpeg
    IMG_1924.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
F

fhdsdmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sand and rubble got delivered before I could get my scape together- been lots of fun staring at the tank and sump waiting for something to move…

Attachments

• IMG_1935.jpeg
    IMG_1935.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1948.jpeg
    IMG_1948.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1954.jpeg
    IMG_1954.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1955.jpeg
    IMG_1955.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
F

fhdsdmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally … scape is ‘complete’ … not what I had envisioned but looks cool enough to me. Another day for the mortar to fully set then soak for a couple days - then have to add to the tank without killing my guests, overflowing the tank and/or breaking the glass. That’s is going to be a fun weekend project…

Attachments

• IMG_1962.jpeg
    IMG_1962.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1963.jpeg
    IMG_1963.jpeg
    279 KB · Views: 27

wickedxreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is coming along! I really like the rock work you did. Can’t wait to see how the tank progresses. I recently started a cade 900 myself.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally … scape is ‘complete’ … not what I had envisioned but looks cool enough to me. Another day for the mortar to fully set then soak for a couple days - then have to add to the tank without killing my guests, overflowing the tank and/or breaking the glass. That’s is going to be a fun weekend project…
Love the aquascape!

OP
OP
F

fhdsdmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
… and then there were lights!!!

Still lots of work to do to get everything organized and looking good. Banged my head on the wall trying to program the kessil fuge light with the apex variable ports - but then I noticed my clock time and apex time were different!!! That’s what I get for skipping the intro tours
Great build! how do you like your skimmer?
havent used the skimmer - though at this point probably not much to skimm anyway. Have the rumble in the sump and running a fuge light for now. Depending on how that works out might need to switch it up down the road - that will likely mean a smaller skimmer as well

Attachments

• IMG_1972.jpeg
    IMG_1972.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1973.jpeg
    IMG_1973.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 19

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back