Calling all detectives

nanoman95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

Everything’s been going so well in the tank and everyone seems to be happy! Just one small question…I have 2 red legged hermits that do occasionally latch onto each other n then let go after a few minutes, I tend to leave them to it as there are plenty of shells for them to change into.

I’ve noticed this guy wearing this shell for about 6 weeks now and this weird growth has started developing! Was just a small red dot but now it’s this…any ideas on what’s growing on the shell?
CF932415-5372-444B-828C-A785E3D22449.jpeg

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell for sure, but looks like a funny looking gastropod called a "slipper shell". Look up Crepidula fornicata.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, in order of likelihood here: Calyptraeid Snail (Slipper Limpet/Snail/Shell and allies; you would only see the shell), Hoof Snail (you would see it extend a trunk-like proboscis), or barnacle (less-likely, but you'd see it extend a little, feathery rake-looking thing to feed).

All are harmless and neat.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, in order of likelihood here: Calyptraeid Snail (Slipper Limpet/Snail/Shell and allies; you would only see the shell), Hoof Snail (you would see it extend a trunk-like proboscis), or barnacle (less-likely, but you'd see it extend a little, feathery rake-looking thing to feed).

All are harmless and neat.
I don't know?

I don't think that shell hitchhiker is going to make it easier for the hermit crab to move about. I bet if you ask the hermit crab it would request assistance in evicting this unwanted camper.

homeless GIF
:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :cool:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know?

I don't think that shell hitchhiker is going to make it easier for the hermit crab to move about. I bet if you ask the hermit crab it would request assistance in evicting this unwanted camper.

homeless GIF
:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :cool:
Haha, true it does add a little weight - consider it some good exercise to help keep the hermit in shape ;)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back