Can’t Clean used Reef Tank Glas :/

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I wonder how big those are? He currently is about 8-10" and live peacefully with 2 about the same size synodontis catfish. I dont want him tearing them up. So probably not the best idea to teach him to kill larger fish. The guppies can be food I am ok with that. I just dont like when he hunts them just to kill them and not eat.

I have them for my kids baths, they are about 2” and sealed. They have a sensor so they turn on in water

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them for my kids baths, they are about 2” and sealed. They have a sensor so they turn on in water
I wonder how quickly he would demolish one of those... We have gone through about a dozen ping pong balls over last year. If he gets it just right he can razor right through it.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@The_Paradox
20240421_082607.jpg

They may be blending something in. Iron paste and sticks are crimson red.

OP
OP
S

s3leyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thank you very much for all your Posts. Very helpful !:)
I am now going to buy a cerium oxide set with a drill connection. I think 400grit sandpaper will be fine ? Should I sand wet ?
And should I sand by hand or also with the drill ?
Thank you

Last edited:

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now going to buy a cerium oxide set with a drill connection. I think 400mm sandpaper will be fine ? Should I sand wet ?
Thank you
I never sanded glass but 400 grit sounds far too coarse... @The_Paradox (?)

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now going to buy a cerium oxide set with a drill connection. I think 400mm sandpaper will be fine ? Should I sand wet ?
Thank you
Wet sand. Hand sand. The sanding scared me too much so I just did cerium it works without sanding, but sanding will probably make it go faster.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never sanded glass but 400 grit sounds far too coarse... @The_Paradox (?)
I agree. Maybe 1000 or finer. Like I said if the cerium didnt work I may have tried it but was to nervous to start there. Its not like this is the most expensive tank in the world but I paid $800 for it to be built and it got used for about a year at my old house then for 4 years here in the hard well water. So I got use out of it but still didnt want to ruin it.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Maybe 1000 or finer. Like I said if the cerium didnt work I may have tried it but was to nervous to start there. Its not like this is the most expensive tank in the world but I paid $800 for it to be built and it got used for about a year at my old house then for 4 years here in the hard well water. So I got use out of it but still didnt want to ruin it.

Unless you have a scratch you can feel with your nail even that’s a bit much. I usually work 1500-2500 then to pastes. If it’s super gnarly no reason you could not start at 40g but last thing you want to do is make more imperfections to buff out. For aquarium applications I would start at 1500 or 1000 if it’s really bad/you know what you’re doing.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about clr
Go look at my 30g pic a couple pages back. I tried it. This has to be some kind of chemical reaction/bonding of calcium in the water to something in the glass. It really does not come off without physical removal of the layer that is created. Not a chemist or any other form of scientist so I am not sure, but typical chemical reaction does not remove it.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much everyone for your advices.
I have now bought citric acid and moistened paper towels with it and left it overnight.
Unfortunately, the stains are still there :(
(See photo). So do you think it’s a permanent haze like @NburgsReef mentioned ?
In your opinion, would it make sense to try hydrochloric (mutiatic) acid now?

Thank you very much.

I don't believe this is permanent. White vinegar and water has always done the trick for me.

But don't expect it to just wipe off; I've used a safety razor in conjunction with the solution.

Try a razor.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go look at my 30g pic a couple pages back. I tried it. This has to be some kind of chemical reaction/bonding of calcium in the water to something in the glass. It really does not come off without physical removal of the layer that is created. Not a chemist or any other form of scientist so I am not sure, but typical chemical reaction does not remove it.
It’s actually not a deposit it’s the opposite. It’s etched.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back