Can Aptasia be processed into food ?

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If aptasia has no sting (venom), I was curious if you froze them if it killed the aptasia. Also if they have any nutritional value as an additive to frozen fish food. Would have to test to make sure that freezing kills them first. Had this idea since I make my own frozen foods, and If (or when) I finally get aptasia to set up a 5 gallon to raise and harvest them from.

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thought, give the fish a taste for them. I personally don't think that will end well

OP
OP
ShakeyGizzard

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like deliberately adding blended aiptasia to a tank is a bad idea..... it's going to spread like wildfire
would have to verify its killed by freezing first. Then test with some of it in a 5 gallon to see if it comes back. Trust me, I don't want to deliberately infest my tank with aptasia

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If aptasia has no sting (venom), I was curious if you froze them if it killed the aptasia. Also if they have any nutritional value as an additive to frozen fish food. Would have to test to make sure that freezing kills them first. Had this idea since I make my own frozen foods, and If (or when) I finally get aptasia to set up a 5 gallon to raise and harvest them from.
I'm not sure who gave you the idea that Aiptasia has no 'sting'. That's not true. It does not usually sting through human skin though. I would not do this idea.

FYI: "Like all members of the Cnidaria phylum, Aiptasia have the ability to sting for both offensive and defensive purposes; the tentacles near the oral disc have stinging cells called nematocysts that can sting fish, crustaceans, corals, and reef rock in your aquarium."

OP
OP
ShakeyGizzard

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish tend to be acustomes
I'm not sure who gave you the idea that Aiptasia has no 'sting'. That's not true. It does not usually sting through human skin though. I would not do this idea.

FYI: "Like all members of the Cnidaria phylum, Aiptasia have the ability to sting for both offensive and defensive purposes; the tentacles near the oral disc have stinging cells called nematocysts that can sting fish, crustaceans, corals, and reef rock in your aquarium."
never had that Idea, Did not know one way or the other, That's why I said "if" they had no sting or venom. Trust me, this idea is already on the flush list, lol

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aptasia would turn to a slimy mush after being frozen/killed. It would just pollute the tank.

I wouldn’t want to feed my fish dead aiptasia. That sounds gross.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, and I see it in a different light.

I don't see any harm in making a small batch to see how the fish respond.

I have no clue what the nutritional value is, if any.

If they don't eat it, no harm no foul.

If they do, you might spark an interest in eating the live ones.

With all that said, I wouldn't hold my breath hoping for the latter.

OP
OP
ShakeyGizzard

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously? No.

”Bunch of stuff?”

Can you be more specific? What stuff?
this is Hikari

Fish Meal, Krill Meal, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Soybean Meal, Cassava Starch, , Wheat Starch, DHA Oil, Wheat Flour, Spirulina, Dried Seaweed Meal, DL-Methionine, Clam Extract, L-Lysine, Astaxanthin, Canthaxanthin, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Stabilized Vitamin C), Inositol, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Niacin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source Of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Cobalt Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it could have the potential of being a transitional food source for picky copperbands. For ones that already eat aiptasia then maybe it would entice them to eat frozen.
As for nutritional values, I doubt there is much but I am just guessing.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back