Can Brook or Velvet Be Transferred from My Freshwater to My Saltwater from a Jug?

Highest20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Small Freshwater Tank and I have been Real Careful not to transfer anything that has touched the Freshwater to the Saltwater Tank. Don't Really care about from My Saltwater to the Freshwater bc I have like $30 of fish in the Freshwater but Much more in the Saltwater. I wash and Sanitized My hands and wash containers in the dishwasher. Just wondering if this precaution is necessary? I had Brook like 6 months ago that wiped out all My fish in the Saltwater except Coral Beauty so I'm trying to be careful Ya Know? I heard the Freshwater Ich is no concern as is different from Saltwater so not worried about that. Any Help is Much Appreciated! THANKS! HAVE A GOOD ONE!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,i'm pretty sure that it goes both ways fw will kill /sw ,sw will kill fw diseases ,but i'm no expert
#fishmedic to confirm

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!
If I’m not mistaken, there are a handful of diseases that can take the jump between sw and fw, but none of the common ones will handle full strength for either.
I usually just give tools a rinse between fw and sw, but I don’t take it as carefully as between qt and display tanks.

OP
OP
H

Highest20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Still Want More to Chime In...Here is a Pic of My 20g Long Mixed Reef!

Attachments

• IMG_8428.PNG
    IMG_8428.PNG
    684.9 KB · Views: 23

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater ich and saltwater ich are different organisms and cannot live in the others' environment. Same for velvet. I don't think there is a freshwater brook?

There isn't a risk of transferring the common fw diseases to saltwater or vice versa.

OP
OP
H

Highest20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater ich and saltwater ich are different organisms and cannot live in the others' environment. Same for velvet. I don't think there is a freshwater brook?

There isn't a risk of transferring the common fw diseases to saltwater or vice versa.
OK Thanks A Lot for the Info!!!

Beta reefs.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

there is no brook (in freshwater) but there are fish lice.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back