can i get a nemo, please?!

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am going to make some people mad here, but I guess it's OK...lol...

When I look at clownfish I like the true to mother nature looking clowns. The two pairs of clowns I have are very common, Occ and saddleback pairs. I love the true percs, maroons, and clarkiis too.

When I see a designer clown, for the most part they look like genetic mishaps that should never been. They do not have the distinct lines of a natural clownfish and to me are nowhere near the striking looks of a natural clown. There are exceptions as I think the lightening maroon is a really cool looking clownfish.

Think of it this way, by selectively breeding genetic "mishaps" we are in essence selectively breeding genetically deficient or abnormal fish. This causes an increasingly abnormal fish which can continue down the path to worse fish... Maybe I am wrong as I surely don't fit into the majority in the hobby here, but it is personal opinion.

For those of you who watch Reality TV, think of it this way. Breed the cast of Honey Boo-Boo with the cast of Myrtle Manor and picture the output... It would look nowhere near what a normal human being looks like...lol.

And for the specialty dog owners, a Chiweenie is a mutt, as are all the other "man made specialty breeds". They should not command a high price and should be a normal mutt price.

Just my $.02 for the moment... I'll shut up now.

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cdness has it right. Inbreeding fish to keep the trait you want will end up hurting the species as a whole. Look at dogs, some breeds have heart issues and hip displaysia due to inbreeding. And every clown breeder culls the undesirable fish from each hatch

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cdness has it right. Inbreeding fish to keep the trait you want will end up hurting the species as a whole. Look at dogs, some breeds have heart issues and hip displaysia due to inbreeding. And every clown breeder culls the undesirable fish from each hatch

That's why responsible breeders outcross to wild or wild-type fish occasionally.

These issues can also be minimized by carefully screening any broodstock for these issues and watching the progeny for recurring issues from specific pairings. It's when people get lazy with this that things really go bad.

Last edited:

Intricateart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We love our "regular" OC clowns. Every time I see the fancy ones they look sick,from some weird disease.
100_1105.jpg

They are a pair,the other half is deep in the nem in this pic.
Nature got it right the first time.

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get me wrong, I love our little ones but I do like all of the awesome patterns on the designers that are out there. Just didn't want to spend the money since it was my first set of clowns, just me though..

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do kind of like nakeds, cheekspots and carmel patterns. But "Snowflakes", "Black Ice" & "Wyoming Whites"? Not for me. This thread should have a poll. Designer, or, Natural?

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To whoever mentioned the Lightning Maroon Clownfish, the female was found in the wild. That fish is one of nature's freaks not ours. I am still quite partial to the "normal" Clowns but after winning a pair of Picasso's in the raffle at MACNA, they've grown on me. I would never fork over the big bucks for one but I'm not as repulsed by them as I used to be.

dmorrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a fish store that regularly orders the standard oc and perc clowns. The sad truth about this is that at least one or two per order will still come in with a mis bar of some sort.

bettababy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say I've found a fish yet that I don't like, but I do prefer normal/wild color clowns (and anything else, too). I'm wondering why the breeding issues were compared to dog breeding when there is already evidence of the long term outcome of such selective breeding. We have but to look at freshwater fish that have been in captivity for years, but most especially the live bearers (mollies, platys, swordtails, guppies) and the betta splendens. The genetics of those fish have been nearly destroyed and their immune systems continue to weaken. The end result of all the designer clownfish may very end up like their freshwater cousins, which would be tragic. Fish that are prone to every type of illness & disease out there is not something to celebrate. Fish bred for what PEOPLE thikn looks good rather than what is functional for the animal, such as the long fins... wild bettas are strong efficient swimmers, these fancy finned bettas of today struggle to swim at all and there gets to be physical issues such as a deformed caudal peduncle and even bent spine because the body is not designed to support the weight or awkward flow of the fins. It took me over 4 months to locate a pair of standard oc clowns. I found that sad, especially somewhere as over populated with pet stores/fish stores as the Milwaukee area is. This new trait of designer clowns is likely going to come back and bite us all in the future. That would be so sad. :-(

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think the platinums are creepy looking and don't understand how anyone would want one in their tank. I have a pair of black clowns. I love the snowflake and black ice though.

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think the platinums are creepy looking and don't understand how anyone would want one in their tank. I have a pair of black clowns. I love the snowflake and black ice though.

+1 never been a fan of the Platinum clowns way overpriced imo,All the snowflake variety look way better.

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u still have that one I gave you? I liked that guy.

I dont unfortunately, I sold it to worlds and they had him in the front frag tank as display for a long time with a Picasso, Then just today a lady really wanted him and we sold him but he went to a great home! 75 reef

Last edited:

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was getting ready to buy him back acually lol great lookin clown wish I never got rid of him.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really really like the designer clowns, but my wife prefers the normal "Nemo-looking" ones...she says my black ice clown is a "cow fish" lol ...to each his/her own I guess. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back