Can you use a regular LED grow light and fresh water grow light together on a reef tank? LPS only mostly zoas

BuilderT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set up a small 36 gal. tall tank and want to light it with something so I can put my corals in. This will only be temp. till I have some funds to buy a new light for it. I have a Finnex Fresh Water Planted grow light w/ 28-Red, Green, Blue and 56 White LEDS. I can adjust RGB how ever needed with a controller. It's only a 29 watt light. I also have a regular grow light that is a 600 watt LED grow light for house plants. I feel like it may be way to much if not hung high enough off the tank's top. Any advice would be appreciated and if I don't get enough feedback I'll probably just try it and see what happens.

Just some FYI:
I have a 75 gal with 2 radion g6 that all my corals are currently in. Some are ready to be fragged and this new tank is for my gf and she's excited to see it with something in it. I was going to test it out first with some GSP than some cheaper zoas I have.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light one can use is different than what light you should use I gues is one way to put it
If you do a historical search light "colors" from HPS to pure royal blue leds had some success.

That said large quantities of 660nm red has shown to have detrimental effects on some corals.

Your plant light may have "too much red" to be be anything you would really want to use.
Besides it would probably look pretty bad.
Depends on the diode composition though.
Warm whites also usually contain a bunch of low red.
Then there is the "is it really 600 watts"?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back