Candy cane question???

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you run your moon lights so long? Are you talking about just the blues on your led fixture? That would probably stall growth of anything. Most people have theirs timed to come on an hour before their main lights and stay on an hour after giving them 10 to 12 hours of total runtime

ahmed.boomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The heads will expand to absorb the max light possible. If its over lit they will tend to be tighten up. Here's mine when I'm running my lights. Have then 18" below the surface with my lights 10" above that. 120w of LEDs. They will open up as soon as I begin feeding the fish.
uploadfromtaptalk1408555079877.jpg

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC01849.jpg

you can see my CC up top on the rock. lights hanging 12' above water. and the cc are at 16-17'' from light. You all think thats to bright?

bichirfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it in my sand bed first then move it up slowly to where it's the happiest
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1408581125.547234.jpg

It took me two weeks of moving around to find where they like it the most

bichirfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well this coral came from petco, they run the weakest leds per gallon. Maybe in the next couple of months they will start growing good. I got them in June. They have 4 heads on it, might just be trying to catch up from the low lighting. i'll post a picture of them once i get to the house. I can tell they are doing good? If the heads are really big; what does that mean?

What Petco has led running there tank and who use light per gallon any more

bichirfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it in my sand bed first then move it up slowly to where it's the happiest
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1408581125.547234.jpg

It took me two weeks of moving around to find where they like it the most

This coral was from my Petco that I manage we have t5s and all are saltwater systems

ahmed.boomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But they were probably at Petco for a couple of days. The vendor they use probably uses Halides or the sun if they are commercially growing these. Give the corals time to adjust. That's just my 2¢.

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH WOW, ya i just started cutting back on my light so i hope they will grow more now. But now my duncan and hammer corals are acting weird. my duncan never closes and its close; hammer is getting small looking

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that's some nice growth! I was getting close to the ball shape like those until I broke my colony in half about 5 months ago cleaning. It was a sad night lol. How do you think they grow from that point on? There's really no room for the heads to split

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya i think my candy cane should atleast have one new head after 4 month but i could be wrong. all the water para are right, i feed my corals every 2-3 days, what else do they want from me haha

brian.romkema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine in lower flow off to the side about mid tank. They are growing like weeds. I feed them on the regular. I have found that not running the moon light at all really makes all my corals open all the way up. In fact most of them don't really open up unless it's totally dark. Try blacking out the room and waiting an hour or more. They should open up for feeding. In return gro***... GL

saltyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people say they grow slowly but that is usually the people selling them for $5 a head. I got a frag with 5 heads 2 years ago and has grown a lot. I've sold about 40 heads and still have another 40+. I target feed them about once every two weeks. Mine are at the sand bed 30" deep in the water, lights mounted 12" above that, medium flow. I think the biggest thing is tank stability and having calcium and alkalinity at good levels.

saltyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will sometimes open up during the day when feeding the tank, but they get really fuzzy when lights are completely out. My tank it's completely lights out for 3 hours before the moon lights come back on.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back