Can't decide which skimmer to go with

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm looking at the 250 skimmer line and my total system is approx 160-170g

The best thing I ever did was to oversize...........been doing it for 25 years. I don't use filter socks, never had an algae scrubber, refugium, ect.

You save way more $ not having to add on all those extra un- needed export toys.

Also the simplicity of it all makes life a lot easier. If you want to reduce it's use it's easy to run less than 24 hours with a simple timer.

------------------------------------------
If you have the space go with the pump that's on the outside. It gives access to the pump for cleaning without having to pull the skimmer apart. It's important to clean the impeller at least 4-5 times a year as the bacterial buildup can reduce performance.
This goes for any skimmer regardless of brand/size

The reaction chamber is also slightly larger

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at the 250 skimmer line and my total system is approx 160-170g

The best thing I ever did was to oversize...........been doing it for 25 years. I don't use filter socks, never had an algae scrubber, refugium, ect.

You save way more $ not having to add on all those extra un- needed export toys.

Also the simplicity of it all makes life a lot easier. If you want to reduce it's use it's easy to run less than 24 hours with a simple timer.

------------------------------------------
If you have the space go with the pump that's on the outside. It gives access to the pump for cleaning without having to pull the skimmer apart. It's important to clean the impeller at least 4-5 times a year as the bacterial buildup can reduce performance.
This goes for any skimmer regardless of brand/size

The reaction chamber is also slightly larger
Thank you for the comment. In regards to the external pump this is where i'm going to lean, never really thought of the practicability of it in regards to the pump. definitely want something easy to maintain.

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might also see Bigfoot riding a unicorn on the way to work today, not holding my breath for that either... nothing against scrubbers, it's a useful tool. My problem is with the few scrubbies promoting it as an end all cure for everything. Algea problem- "scrubber". Torch dying?- scrubber. Which skimmer? "Scrubber". Considering new lights...- "scrubber". Alk low- "scrubber". It's just annoying. Meanwhile the biggest proponent of scrubbers, the only one with a nice tank, has been using chemichean, antibiotics (and who knows what else) the entire time. You never get the entire story, intentional or not.
I guess you will never know unless you use one

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back