T5 Hybrid LED selection for a budget

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys!

After a few years out of the hobby I'm looking to get back at it. Planning to get a 40 gallon tall tank 35x16x20 inch 42.2. Wanting to make it a mixed reef with SPS and LPS

I have a $250 budget to light my tank. Yes, quite low, but I think it should be enough to build a half decent T5/LED hybrid system.
I can get two 2 bulb fixtures for 30 bucks each, and bulbs for 10 dollars each. That makes the total for T5s 100 bucks (60 dollars for fixtures + 40 dollars bulbs) which leaves 150 bucks for the LED side of the stuff

After reading lots of R2R threads and watching YouTube videos, I've found the following to be the best options:
Noo-Psyche K7 Pro III - $152+shipping. Probably the best option.
ViparSpectra - $160+shipping. Also heard lots of people having success with this fixture.
2x Nicrew 30w - $90 each (incl shipping) so total 180 but can have 2 light sources across the tank.
SmartFarm 95w - $200 (incl shipping) - some people compare this to radions?
Shipping will be a bit expensive as I live in Japan. And yes, I have checked my local markets for second hand fixtures but not too much luck with that so far.

I'm planning to make a custom hanging fixture/bracket/thing to hang the fixtures above the tank.

What do you guys think will be the best option? Appreciate any advice/input!

FernFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys!

After a few years out of the hobby I'm looking to get back at it. Planning to get a 40 gallon tall tank 35x16x20 inch 42.2. Wanting to make it a mixed reef with SPS and LPS

I have a $250 budget to light my tank. Yes, quite low, but I think it should be enough to build a half decent T5/LED hybrid system.
I can get two 2 bulb fixtures for 30 bucks each, and bulbs for 10 dollars each. That makes the total for T5s 100 bucks (60 dollars for fixtures + 40 dollars bulbs) which leaves 150 bucks for the LED side of the stuff

After reading lots of R2R threads and watching YouTube videos, I've found the following to be the best options:
Noo-Psyche K7 Pro III - $152+shipping. Probably the best option.
ViparSpectra - $160+shipping. Also heard lots of people having success with this fixture.
2x Nicrew 30w - $90 each (incl shipping) so total 180 but can have 2 light sources across the tank.
SmartFarm 95w - $200 (incl shipping) - some people compare this to radions?
Shipping will be a bit expensive as I live in Japan. And yes, I have checked my local markets for second hand fixtures but not too much luck with that so far.

I'm planning to make a custom hanging fixture/bracket/thing to hang the fixtures above the tank.

What do you guys think will be the best option? Appreciate any advice/input!

I’d say get two of the Noopsyche mini, with the Reef reef discount code it it should come to be 150$

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
RC51

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes both lights should have the same puck, so you would have two lights sources, and those minis have built in adjustable, light channels, and ramp up
Cool. That sounds like a much better idea!

Upvote 0

FernFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the discount code?
Check out this thread for light schedule ideas also check out @JoJosReef office tank thread he runs the lights

Upvote 0

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back