Can't decide which skimmer to go with

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another skimmer suggestion that is much cheaper. Coralvue does open box deals, and this is a good skimmer that might work for you. They also have reef octopus models on open box as well.

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another skimmer suggestion that is much cheaper. Coralvue does open box deals, and this is a good skimmer that might work for you. They also have reef octopus models on open box as well.
Thanks for the link I appreciate it. Being in Canada I need to see duties and exchange to see if it’s actually worth buying through them. I will definitely have a look. Thanks

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like both skimmers. I have the DC Skimmer 900 on my 900L main display and very happy with it. I am using the Reef Octopus Elite 200-INT in my stock/frag tanks and very happy with it. The quality of the Reef Octopus Elite is way better than the Red Sea, but they both work for my different needs.

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like both skimmers. I have the DC Skimmer 900 on my 900L main display and very happy with it. I am using the Reef Octopus Elite 200-INT in my stock/frag tanks and very happy with it. The quality of the Reef Octopus Elite is way better than the Red Sea, but they both work for my different needs.
That seems to be the consensus in regards to favor being given to the reef Octopus. How easy is it to dial in? I read the red reef has self leveling so pretty much dialed in out of the box, or this is what is said anyways.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef Octo 220int on 180g, and it seems perfect. A bit oversized- so it's still sufficient when dirty. Besides draining the cup every 2-4 weeks and wipe clean every 5-7 months, I don't touch it. If I were setting up 290g, I would want something rated for 400g(+/-)

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems to be the consensus in regards to favor being given to the reef Octopus. How easy is it to dial in? I read the red reef has self leveling so pretty much dialed in out of the box, or this is what is said anyways.
My experience is you need to dial both of them in. Both were pretty simple for me as long as I have a constant water level. The Reef Octo is more forgiving on sump small water level changes. For me, the Red Sea has been "set it and forget" once it was dialed in. I do clean the conductivity sensors and calibrate them every three of four months. I probably could go longer but it is easy to do and takes very little time doing it the 3 or 4 times a year.

For both skimmers I delay start them after my sump pumps exit feed mode. This lets the water level in the sump go back to normal and prevents overflows in the collection cup. The Red Sea does drop it's pump down to a level where it stops overflowing, but I still have to drain the cup and hit resume in the app to get back to normal operation.

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef Octo 220int on 180g, and it seems perfect. A bit oversized- so it's still sufficient when dirty. Besides draining the cup every 2-4 weeks and wipe clean every 5-7 months, I don't touch it. If I were setting up 290g, I would want something rated for 400g(+/-
That’s pretty good I’d say for maintenance for sure. Definitely seems like a great skimmer and this is where I’m leaning for sure. Thanks

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is you need to dial both of them in. Both were pretty simple for me as long as I have a constant water level. The Reef Octo is more forgiving on sump small water level changes. For me, the Red Sea has been "set it and forget" once it was dialed in. I do clean the conductivity sensors and calibrate them every three of four months. I probably could go longer but it is easy to do and takes very little time doing it the 3 or 4 times a year.

For both skimmers I delay start them after my sump pumps exit feed mode. This lets the water level in the sump go back to normal and prevents overflows in the collection cup. The Red Sea does drop it's pump down to a level where it stops overflowing, but I still have to drain the cup and hit resume in the app to get back to normal operation.
I guess I can go wrong with either, I see the favorite choice would be the Octopus and this is wide spread for sure. The Red Sea has a nice feature to stop an overflow but I’m sure once you get the hang of things it’s pretty straightforward on either unit. Thanks for the detailed explanation of each it helps tremendously.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty good I’d say for maintenance for sure. Definitely seems like a great skimmer and this is where I’m leaning for sure. Thanks
In all fairness, I've only ever used 2 skimmers. The octo for last 7 years, can't really imagine what more there is to be desired from a skimmer..

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef Octo 220int on 180g, and it seems perfect. A bit oversized- so it's still sufficient when dirty. Besides draining the cup every 2-4 weeks and wipe clean every 5-7 months, I don't touch it. If I were setting up 290g, I would want something rated for 400g(+/-)
Depends on the quality of the skimmer not everyone's 400g is created equal. The higher end reef octos are really in the top tier are there better sure. The regal 200 is rated for 250 med and 400 light most reefs fall in the light to med stocking range. Thats a lot of fish. Stocking density really only applies to fish load. Most non nano reefs wont hit heavy stocking without issues. Nanos are a different animal altogether.

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the quality of the skimmer not everyone's 400g is created equal. The higher end reef octos are really in the top tier are there better sure. The regal 200 is rated for 250 med and 400 light most reefs fall in the light to med stocking range. Thats a lot of fish. Stocking density really only applies to fish load. Most non nano reefs wont hit heavy stocking without issues. Nanos are a different animal altogether.
Thank once again, great valuable information given for sure. This clears a lot up for me and helps tremendously.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To tell the truth I have never used a redsea skimmer, have friends that have and they thought they were great. I have used reef octo skimmers in the past even back then they were really under rated. I am currently rocking a eshopps axium x350 says its rated for 420g light and 370 med I'd guess actually about a third of that. Its on a 120g system and it does pretty good but I have 4 fish lol. I will be upgrading to a Bashsea soon but I havent decided if I want to completely overskim even dialing the pump back as far as possible without it not working on an 8-24 or go with a 6-24 and when I upgrade tanks have it be slightly undersized. I had a bashsea years ago started with an 8-30 on about 800g and it was a work horse.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think I noticed a reason for the space saving model but the reef octopus (regular int) with the pump outside is cheaper and easier to service when needed.
Between the two choices though, I strongly recommend the reef octopus line. Their customer service is better than redseas and it has a built in float switch to shut off the pump (preventing skimmate overflow) as opposed to the self leveling head foam adjuster

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to the Red Sea it wasn’t even something I was considering until it was recommended by the lfs, but I thought I’d ask here before I pulled the trigger due to the fact that the store is branded in Red Sea and that is what is in stock. I’m not saying it’s a bad unit or recommend due to it being in stock etc but with all the reviews I searched outside of this tread it alway goes back to Octopus. I know there are elite brands out there that don’t get the recognition for sure, for a first skimmer, or I should say 1st skimmer since being back in the hobby I feel it’s a good start. I’m sure I’ll lean in a different direction as I progress in the hobby but until then I’m sure I can’t go wrong with the 200sss Octopus.

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think I noticed a reason for the space saving model but the reef octopus (regular int) with the pump outside is cheaper and easier to service when needed.
Between the two choices though, I strongly recommend the reef octopus line. Their customer service is better than redseas and it has a built in float switch to shut off the pump (preventing skimmate overflow) as opposed to the self leveling head foam adjuster
Oh, I didn’t realize that the Octopus has a shut off valve, I must have missed that surprisingly, I guess too much research and I forgot certain key features. That’s great to know for sure. Also customer service is a major plus for me as it gives me piece of mind knowing your not left in the dark if an issue arises.

I never really thought of the service aspect of having a pump on the external and due to the room in the sump chamber I really think this would be more of a plus than initially realized.

Thanks for this I appreciate it

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a hater of algae scrubbers, I have built a few in my time never bought one though. They do some similar jobs but a skimmer is going to remove more "impurities" than the scrubber. Used in concert they are a great duo just like a refugium (scrubber is actually better than a fuge) but a scrubber cannot replace a skimmer. The scrubber is better at controlling nitrate and phosphate. Something a scrubber cannot do is drive co2 from the water column like a skimmer. True the algae will remove co2 from the water but not at the same rate a skimmer can. Of course this is dependent on air quality around the tank. There is also stuff like phenols and tannins that a skimmer can remove and a scrubber can't. But you are correct in pure nitrate and phosphate removal the scrubber wins, if that is what you meant.
A skimmer will remove much more impurities from the water than a protein skimmer will, in fact if you’re not careful you can strip your water clean of everything that is why you need to dose back trace elements, a scrubber will also increase your Ph and it won’t rise or drop during daytime or nighttime, you don’t even need a skimmer to drive oxygen you get plenty of oxygen from circulation, what were we doing for oxygen before skimmers came out, absolutely nothing, scrubbers are far more efficient in every way I understand a lot of people are not familiar with them and are hesitant to make the change. I was one of those people, and when I finally made the change, I wanted to kick myself in the butt for not doing it sooner. Anyway, to each his own happy reefing

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s because it’s the way to go. I guarantee if you made the switch you would say to yourself why did I wait so long
I might also see Bigfoot riding a unicorn on the way to work today, not holding my breath for that either... nothing against scrubbers, it's a useful tool. My problem is with the few scrubbies promoting it as a end all cure for everything. Algea problem- "scrubber". Torch dying?- scrubber. Which skimmer? "Scrubber". Considering new lights...- "scrubber". Alk low- "scrubber". It's just annoying. Meanwhile the biggest proponent of scrubbers, the only one with a nice tank, has been using chemichean, antibiotics (and who knows what else) the entire time. You never get the entire story, intentional or not.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back