Can't seems to attach my Discosoma Mushroom

roibenami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so yesterday i got a few frags from my LFS, one of them was a beautiful red discosoma... i removed it from the plug (keeping a very thin layer of the plug), and used super glue to attach it where i wanted it on the scape.

The problem is i woke up today and the coral seemed to detach itself from the plug base, here's how it looked this morning :

1.jpg

2.jpg

And when i got home from work today (with the lights on), it looks like this :

3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

It seems like its doing ok, but it also seems like its very closed, at the LFS it was at least twice that size (and also looked very open).

I'm really not sure what to do... should i remove it and try to mount it again? (this was my second attempt) should i just leave it be? I'm afraid it will simply detach itself completely and drop to the sand...

(btw, my tank is brand new... just finished cycling a week ago, i currently have 1 yellow tang, 3 blue-legged hermit crabs, 2 discosoma frags (this is one of them) and a zoa frag...

My display tank is 90 gallon, with a 30 gallon sump, currently only filtration is an ATS.
My lights are 2x 150W metal halides, currently on 8 hours a day...

Ph: 8.0
Temp: 26 (Celcius)
Salinity: 1.023
Ammonia&Nitrite: 0

That's all i know for now, haven't tested for the other stuff yet...

I would really appreciate all the help i could get, i really don't want to lose that mushroom :) a specially because it was the first coral i ever got (with the other 2 frags).

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is most anemones behavior when I don't like where they are.

Give him time to drift around and find a place he likes and he'll grab hold.

OP
OP
roibenami

roibenami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is most anemones behavior when I don't like where they are.

Give him time to drift around and find a place he likes and he'll grab hold.

I saw a video on youtube from tidal gardens about discosoma, it said that because they are only half anemones, they are very good at detaching and very bad at reattaching, and it said that if it fully detaches its a bad thing...

Up until now i haven't seen much changed... Still on the rock but in a wierd shape... There has been some minor movements...

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to get by in nature, so I think it's too soon to worry. ;)

How about a fix?

I'm guessing, but you probably didn't use a light meter to check that your lights matched where they came from – that's one thing you can still do if he's not fully detached...just move him to a more-compatible lighting zone.

To start with, just download a $free [HASHTAG]#lux[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#meter[/HASHTAG] app for your smart phone. Like "galactica luxmeter" for IOS, but there are dozens of them. I'd also recommend spending $15 to get a dedicated handheld lux meter....search for the "LX-1010B" if you want to see what I use. Amazon, eBay, etc all carry it and others like it.

Take some readings around the surface of the tank where you got the shroom....ideally, sample the very spot where your piece came from. Then use the meter to translate that data to a better location in your tank for your shroom.

Post back here (or PM if you want) when you take some test light readings! :)

OP
OP
roibenami

roibenami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, i wanted to post an update but it seems like nothing changed, it still looks exactly like yeaterday, when the lights are out its like its 90% detached and when they are on looks better.. Just like the original pictures...

I would have thought it would fall by now... So what do you guys think? Should i just leave it alone or try to relocate it?

Thanks...

OP
OP
roibenami

roibenami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wrap a rubber band around a small piece of rubble rock, in a few days it will attach and you can put it where you like.
You mean attach the mushroom to a piece of small rock with a rubberband, let it sit in the tank for a few days, and then remove the rubberband and glue the small rock into place?

Won't the rubberband hurt the mushroom?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back