Canuck's first go 20gal

scubatan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, first tank ever has arrived - Waterbox 20gal AIO Cube.

Hoping to get it wet in the next week or so. Will update and document my progress here.

Hoping to pick up some tips and tricks from some friendly folks on here.

IMG_2581.jpg

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! Do you run the carbon that came with the tank? I've read that you only really need to use carbon if you have something going wrong.
Yes it lasted one use of how many it came with it may have been three packs I forgot. And no that isn’t true it keeps the water clear and helps with filtration.

OP
OP
scubatan

scubatan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it lasted one use of how many it came with it may have been three packs I forgot. And no that isn’t true it keeps the water clear and helps with filtration.
Thanks - another question - the filter sock ring that came with the tank, it doesn't sit flush in the first compartment, there is a gap on one side and you can slide back and forth. So water will easily go through this gap and not all through the filter media. Is yours like this as well or is it intentional?

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you enjoy it. I have the same tank too. As far as your filter sock, if I’m understanding correctly, it’s just not seated correctly. I use to turn mine and even push a handle of a glass scrubber down the sock until it seat itself correctly. I ended up ditching the socks for a fleece roller. Good luck with the build

OP
OP
scubatan

scubatan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you enjoy it. I have the same tank too. As far as your filter sock, if I’m understanding correctly, it’s just not seated correctly. I use to turn mine and even push a handle of a glass scrubber down the sock until it seat itself correctly. I ended up ditching the socks for a fleece roller. Good luck with the build
IMG_2616.jpg
See here is the ring holder sitting - but there is room on the right side of it and the whole thing can slide left to right. Is it supposed to be like this?

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhh i see, i did misunderstand. Maybe @AydenLincoln has a better idea than me. I only ran filter socks for about a month, and never noticed it. Once you go fleece roller, you don’t use the filter sock ring anymore

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_2616.jpg
See here is the ring holder sitting - but there is room on the right side of it and the whole thing can slide left to right. Is it supposed to be like this?
I don’t have filter socks anymore I got a fleece roller and yes that’s normal because if it was completely flush you wouldn’t be able to insert and remove it as easily. The little gaps are to help the water flow through easier and make it level. If you look on the other side you’ll notice the same thing. It’s called a baffle.

OP
OP
scubatan

scubatan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the rocks, sand and water in, heating it up now. Plan is to just have the heater, return pump and wavemaker on for the cycle with no filter media.

Having some difficulty with the water levels, I understand I want a cascade through chambers 1 2 and 3. The stock return pump is open fully.
Water is about 2.25cm from top of display (seems kinda low?). Water cascades down from 1 to 2, but 3 the water is about the same as 2, just above the bevel.
Does this all seem correct?
IMG_2645.jpeg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 176 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back