Captive Bred Regal Angelfish Question

Dive Cowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have experience with the Biota Regal Angelfish in a reef tank? The Biota website says they hear that they don't nip at corals and clams like wild caught specimens do. Anybody able to back that up?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have experience with the Biota Regal Angelfish in a reef tank? The Biota website says they hear that they don't nip at corals and clams like wild caught specimens do. Anybody able to back that up?

Every fish is different be it captive bred, raised, or wild. Do a quick search as there are plenty around with them. Pretty fish and amazing to watch grow. I personally do not have one but recently purchased the Milletseed when they became available. A lot of the nipping I see is curiosity and not permanent damage if that makes sense.

Biota's bio under the fish is correct as it relates to their personal experience (staff keeping them in their home displays) and hobbyist feedback. But again at the end of the day the risk level is hobbyist related. If I was to buy one I personally would go captive bred/raised because I like the estimated age and fact that they are eating prepared food(s). That is most of the battle when buying these fish. Also I would buy direct.

Tagging @Biota_Marine for the source.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had two, one red sea and the other Bali neither touched my SPS. The Red Sea one that I still have eats my Zoas, but I'm fine with that as I was trying to kill them anyway.

OP
OP
D

Dive Cowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every fish is different be it captive bred, raised, or wild. Do a quick search as there are plenty around with them. Pretty fish and amazing to watch grow. I personally do not have one but recently purchased the Milletseed when they became available. A lot of the nipping I see is curiosity and not permanent damage if that makes sense.

Biota's bio under the fish is correct as it relates to their personal experience (staff keeping them in their home displays) and hobbyist feedback. But again at the end of the day the risk level is hobbyist related. If I was to buy one I personally would go captive bred/raised because I like the estimated age and fact that they are eating prepared food(s). That is most of the battle when buying these fish. Also I would buy direct.

Tagging @Biota_Marine for the source.
Is the general idea that they're an "expert" fish based on wild specimens? What makes them difficult?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the general idea that they're an "expert" fish based on wild specimens? What makes them difficult?

Getting them to eat. Tank maturity, size, etc. It wouldn't be a fish I personally would recommend to a new system or young one but that is just me.

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are finicky eaters and shy when first introduced. Once you can get them eating they are stunning! Mine is an orange belly red sea regal. Shes beautiful

Attachments

• IMG_4034.jpeg
    IMG_4034.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3471.jpeg
    IMG_3471.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 23

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s impossible to say for sure. Clams/some LPS may be on the menu, SPS should be 99.9% fine… I keep an emperor a Tiger angel and even a big chunky Cortez angel (all 3 way less reef safe than a Regal) and SPS has never been touched, I’m able to keep some LPS (gsp, one particular torch, galaxea, maze brain and BTA’s) a captive bred regal in theory should be even more reef safe than a wild caught, (all they know is what they eat that we feed and all).

IMO, the Regal is so beautiful that it’s a simple equation in the end, Regal Angelfish > Coral. Any coral he does take a fancy to is either fish food or it’s getting pulled from the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back