Carpenter Wrasse confirmation/sex

AquaticYeti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased what was sold to me as a Carpenter Flasher Wrasse almost a year and an half ago. It originally had deeper colors with almost a purple hue and blue lines that don’t show well in the picture. It also had a longer dorsal fin. Once acclimated the colors pretty much faded away to what it is today and the dorsal doesn’t look as long.

Is this a Carpenter Flasher Wrasse?
Is it male or female?

Side note: I also have beautiful Melanurus and Leopard Wrasse’s; one each. I love Wrasse’s and would like to get a Mystery Wrasse when I upgrade to a larger tank.

Any feedback is appreciated.

The first pic is from when I got it. All others are from today.

IMG_0995.png IMG_0983.jpeg IMG_0982.jpeg IMG_0972.jpeg IMG_0971.jpeg

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no Wrasse expert. I have one. It happens to be a Carpenter's wrasse...
I don't think yours is a Carpenter's wrasse. Theoretically, by itself it would turn male. The presence of the other Wrasses you have may be keeping it female. But let's not depend on my guesswork. @i cant think

IMG_6565.PNG

OP
OP
A

AquaticYeti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no Wrasse expert. I have one. It happens to be a Carpenter's wrasse...
I don't think yours is a Carpenter's wrasse. Theoretically, by itself it would turn male. The presence of the other Wrasses you have may be keeping it female. But let's not depend on my guesswork. @i cant think

IMG_6565.PNG
What a beauty!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased what was sold to me as a Carpenter Flasher Wrasse almost a year and an half ago. It originally had deeper colors with almost a purple hue and blue lines that don’t show well in the picture. It also had a longer dorsal fin. Once acclimated the colors pretty much faded away to what it is today and the dorsal doesn’t look as long.

Is this a Carpenter Flasher Wrasse?
Is it male or female?

Side note: I also have beautiful Melanurus and Leopard Wrasse’s; one each. I love Wrasse’s and would like to get a Mystery Wrasse when I upgrade to a larger tank.

Any feedback is appreciated.

The first pic is from when I got it. All others are from today.

IMG_0995.png IMG_0983.jpeg IMG_0982.jpeg IMG_0972.jpeg IMG_0971.jpeg
This is most likely a Paracheilinus filamentosus or Paracheilinus cyaneus - I believe it’s a Cyaneus looking at the anal fin.

As for the sex, when you bought him he was a mature male. Now, he looks beaten up but I notice a possible Jade in the background. What other wrasses have you got? And do you have an FTS?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AquaticYeti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for the delay; I thought I sent the follow-up pics.

I have two other Wrasses: Leopard and Melanurus

Other fish include: Blue damsel, Thunder maroon clown, Bluestreak goby, Scopas tang, Orchid dottyback, Foxface, Greenspotted goby

I generally do not see any aggression in the tank. If anything, only from the clown pushing others away from its anemone.

1714068677816.png

1714068542832.png

1714068573098.png

1714068589291.png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish know when you are watching. Just because you don't see aggression does not mean it is not happening.
+1 to this, set up a camera facing the tank and leave the room for 40 minutes if not longer, you generally see aggression then.

OP
OP
A

AquaticYeti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jabberwock and @i cant think - great suggestions. I have an extra Wyze camera laying around that I used to have facing the tank when I first got it and couldn’t see it enough. I’ll set it back up and check in regularly. I should probably live stream it, haha.

I’ll feel terrible if I see him getting beaten up. My bet goes to the clown being the aggressor. I used to have paired Clarkii’s that got super aggressive. They were moved to a separate tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back