Catastrophe on Vacation

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Finally feeling ok enough to talk about this as coming back from 2-weeks in Europe, I returned to my fish tank with the vast majority of my fish community completely obliterated. I’m still a little numb to all this, constantly waivering between exiting the hobby and trying to salvage and rebuild, but here goes…

My house/dogsitter fuddled with my malfunctioning ATO while I was out, didn’t set it properly and basically set off a week of cascading failures which ultimately caused all of this. The water in the return chamber totally drained, causing the DT to start evaporating and the water temperature to drop to the high 60s for over a week! By the time the housesitter truly realized something was severely wrong, I basically had to call home (from a boat in Italy) and walk them through steps just to get the tank in serviceable shape for me to correct when I returned.

Day before return I received photos of the tank where all looked alive, but this was not the case when I walked through the front door. The tank was cloudy, and there were at least 2 dead/decomposing fish floating at the top of the tank.

All in all, I lost:
- G. Semifasciatus mated pair (I spent 2 years locating these two)
- Coral Beauty
- Potter’s Angel (I assume now irreplaceable, given collection ban)
- Copperband Butterfly (This and potter’s hurt especially, given how much work it took them to be successful on prepared foods, the Copperband was essentially a puppy to me)
- Lubbock’s Wrasse
- Pintail Wrasse
- CB Biota Mandarin
- Gem Tang

What Survived?
- Quoyi Parrot
- Oscellaris Pair
- Pink Smith Damsel Pair
- Regal Angel (which had been in the sump, luckily)
- All my corals and anemones, miraculously, including 2 Giganteas and 2 Magnificas (if these had gone, I’m pretty sure I’d be out of the hobby)

Since my return, I’ve completed 2 30% water changes and the tank is starting to look pristine again, just without any real movement from the fish community.

I had expected to have to replace my return pump and heaters as they had been running dry for days. Thankfully, the heaters are both intact and not shattered, and the return pump is still working.

I have replaced yet another ATO unit (historically and consistently the achilles heel of my tank, I must have had 3 or 4 models, all eventually failing on some level) with a pressure-based monitor and will never trust ATOs that utilize optical sensors again.

What’s Next?
I’ve been waffling between staying in the hobby and rebuilding, and, just cutting my losses and selling everything off. I’m heavily feeling sunk-cost fallacy regarding the hobby, given it will likely cost over $2500 to replicate the fish community, not to mention the time and care investment in getting another copperband and potter’s (if I can even find one) to succeed on prepared foods. Finding another G. Semifasciatus pair will cost well over $1300 (per Reef Pro Store).

I’m going to spend the next few weeks just ensuring the tank is running as well as it can. May judiciously add a fish or two and wait until the new year before making a final decision. If I do manage to rebuild, I will need to find a local tank maintenance company to periodically check in on the tank and manage as I will not be trusting anyone without experience again.

Thanks so much for allowing me to get this all out, and taking the time to read this. Last saturday, returning home really hit like a gut punch and almost each day since, understanding/seeing something else I cared greatly for had died, it’s been a lot.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry to hear this happened to you and your tank. It seems like Murphy's Law is strong in this hobby. There are a lot of posts on here to folks returning to similar situations as you. Disaster always seems to strike when we leave, even if it's just for a couple days. That is heartbreaking!

I would not be in a rush to get out of the hobby. You've obviously been successful so it would be a shame to throw in the towel after all the blood, sweat and tears you have put into your tank. You returned to a tank that's still alive. That is something to take forward. I would stick with it but not be in a rush to try and refill the tank to what you had before. That will come in time. I am so surprised your heaters and pump survived. That is a miracle!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rebuild it.

Been through a tank crash(although not as severe monetarily), it hurts for sure seeing all you worked for gone.

I got out of the hobby, except FW for quite a few years. Went to N. Carolina for vacation one year and went to the ripleys aquarium, and new I had to start it back up.

Reefing is a passion, it stays with you.

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am so sorry to hear this happened to you and your tank. It seems like Murphy's Law is strong in this hobby. There are a lot of posts on here to folks returning to similar situations as you. Disaster always seems to strike when we leave, even if it's just for a couple days. That is heartbreaking!

I would not be in a rush to get out of the hobby. You've obviously been successful so it would be a shame to throw in the towel after all the blood, sweat and tears you have put into your tank. You returned to a tank that's still alive. That is something to take forward. I would stick with it but not be in a rush to try and refill the tank to what you had before. That will come in time. I am so surprised your heaters and pump survived. That is a miracle!

Thank you for your kind words!

I’ve traveled many times before (and for longer stretches) and have always returned to a glass algae box, but thriving tank. Generally a friend will drop by weekly to check on things, ensure top off water is good, refill the auto feeders, water my plants, etc. My previous vacation, this same ATO was malfunctioning, and he managed to fix it easily and correctly.

And yes, I was shocked when I turned on the pump and it actually worked (was about to pull the trigger on a new pump). I was also sure one of the heaters was done for as it had major salt build up in one spot, but cleaned it off and saw no cracks (thankfully no stray voltage since turning everything back on).

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would rebuild it.

Been through a tank crash(although not as severe monetarily), it hurts for sure seeing all you worked for gone.

I got out of the hobby, except FW for quite a few years. Went to N. Carolina for vacation one year and went to the ripleys aquarium, and new I had to start it back up.

Reefing is a passion, it stays with you.

Thanks. And yes, I always seem to find the excitement for reefing when I least expect to, and it’s always been rewarding in the most unexpected ways.

Not making any hasty decisions here and diligently perusing OFS for potential new stock.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your kind words!

I’ve traveled many times before (and for longer stretches) and have always returned to a glass algae box, but thriving tank. Generally a friend will drop by weekly to check on things, ensure top off water is good, refill the auto feeders, water my plants, etc. My previous vacation, this same ATO was malfunctioning, and he managed to fix it easily and correctly.

And yes, I was shocked when I turned on the pump and it actually worked (was about to pull the trigger on a new pump). I was also sure one of the heaters was done for as it had major salt build up in one spot, but cleaned it off and saw no cracks (thankfully no stray voltage since turning everything back on).
I hope you stick with it. :) Ironically when I first got into the hobby 16 mos ago I bought an ATO but because I'm always home I haven't bothered to hook it up. I think it's one with optical sensors. I have been reading about issues with those. I saw a YT video last year on how to DIY one with mini float switches. I might look at doing one of those if there comes a time when I need to setup an ATO.

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope you stick with it. :) Ironically when I first got into the hobby 16 mos ago I bought an ATO but because I'm always home I haven't bothered to hook it up. I think it's one with optical sensors. I have been reading about issues with those. I saw a YT video last year on how to DIY one with mini float switches. I might look at doing one of those if there comes a time when I need to setup an ATO.

Optical unfortunately is just too risky, need regular cleaning of both the sensor and (for my previous model), the sump panel. Even with regular cleaning mine would go off at least once per week.

Trying my luck with this Avast Marine pressure-based ATO.

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was suppose to go on vacation this year. But since my tank is still new (4 months old), I have yet to develop a routine and full on dummy-proof system to ensure its dang near impossible to screw up. Until then, looks like I'll be home-bound!

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Homie I'm so sorry to read this..

You don't have to make any decisions today. Keep the tank running. Depending on what coral you have, the losses may not be immediate. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thank you. Definitely have spent the time for WC’ing to clean off my colonies as there is minor die off (mostly my Pocillopora, Goniopora and Anacropora).

The anemones were the big ones for me as my Giganteas and Magnificas are 8-10” across each. If they had perished, I’m sure the tank would have been a complete loss.

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was suppose to go on vacation this year. But since my tank is still new (4 months old), I have yet to develop a routine and full on dummy-proof system to ensure its dang near impossible to screw up. Until then, looks like I'll be home-bound!

That’s the thing, aside from feeding, my tank generally is automated. But, it’s super important to identify those potential failure spots and do everything you can to reduce their failure, or, have redundancies to compensate when they do and you’re not around to manage. Unfortunately, turned out the weak spot this time around was a new person in my home…

It used to be my skimmer and ATO gave me my biggest anxiety about leaving home. Now, it’s just the ATO, it’s such a small thing, but so fundamental to making sure EVERYTHING is succeeding.

Before I leave for any amount of time, I have my check-list, mainly consisting of adjusting the skimmer to skim drier, emptying the skimmate locker, cleaning the ATO/Sump, cleaning power heads, and fine tuning the auto-feeder as to not over feed. Beyond that, everything is programmed and well oiled.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what ATO you have and what went wrong? My Tunze just runs unless I let the reservoir run out of water.

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious what ATO you have and what went wrong? My Tunze just runs unless I let the reservoir run out of water.

Sure thing. I had the Reef Breeders EXO.

99.9% of the time it worked great, but just too many variables — mainly with clarity/cleanliness of the optics, including the sump panel as the sensor magnetically attaches on the wet and dry sides — that could make it error. It’s caused this issue, and once flooded my sump/stand.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear this. It's always my biggest concern and one of the reasons I don't vacation any longer. Fortunaly I'm older and have seen and done pretty much what I've wanted so I'm content to stay home.

At least your taking the time to think things through and not make any hasty decisions that you may regret later. Kudos to you for that. Many people, my self included may have acted more hastily.

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine also worked great, until it just stopped working at two years old.

I haven’t tried the Tunze, but have heard good things.

The best ATO I had was the Innovatine Marine Hydrofill, which worked like a champ for 4 years until it finally gave out. When I went looking for another, they were no where to be found online (seems like they’re avail again), which led me to the Reef Breeders. Crossing my fingers the Avast will be stable and trustworthy.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP, that sucks. Don't quit, it sounds like you have the basis to rebuild.

On the ATO's, I use old school float switches, as I run a diy with my own programming through a Apex on one tank and on the other tank I have a generic ato that is powered through an apex outlet which cycles on for 1 minute every 12 hours.

They have their own risks, but I've never had a failure in the past 12+ years of using a float switch style ATO consistently. Now optical sensors... I'm just about over them for anything of substance. I have one for my diy skimmate locker and that's it, I can't/won't trust them for anything of importance.

I travel for a bit for work, so I tend to let the tanks run solo for 7-10 days @ a time on average and up to 14 days without human interaction. Automation can be done, it just takes some effort and ingenuity.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know these are cheap units with mechanical float switches but I have been running jbj ato units since I started the hobby. I have one that has been running for close to 4 years. I used a ladies nylon to enclose the float switch to prevent snails and such and the same nylon has been on it from the start.
Just throwing it out there. Sometimes simple mechanical devices are more reliable than the high tech stuff.

EDIT : this is the float switch
20221105_234441.jpg

Last edited:

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a reef breeders exo for awhile and it never worked right for me. The hydrofill I have had been really good. My red sea tank has a float style and I love that thing. Sometimes simplicity is the best option.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Optical unfortunately is just too risky, need regular cleaning of both the sensor and (for my previous model), the sump panel. Even with regular cleaning mine would go off at least once per week.

Trying my luck with this Avast Marine pressure-based ATO.
Thanks for the link! Sometimes old school is best. :)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 105 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 82 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back