Chiller 101

Rishov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reef fam , here’s a fellow reefer going from a 25gal to a 80gals approx tank upgrade with dimensions 41L , 20W , 20H (inches) with a 2foot by 19inch sump ,so I’m in a big confusion regarding chillers as I’m from India and it’s really hot out here and pre and post summer temperatures revolve around 35-40 degrees Celsius with a max of 45 degrees in the peek of summers so a chillers are like a must for hobbiests around here so based on my previous experience with my 25g I was running a Hailea HC 150 which was well under to water volume radious , I took around 20mins to cool my entire tank but as my room is just below the home terrace the temperature here is pretty consistent towards the Hyde side so the chiller turned on every 5mins now and then heating the room more and inflating the electricity bill way more ,so this time I’m thinking given the ambient temperature I’m planning on running a Hailea HC 1000 for my 80gals tank which is a roughly 300-310 Ish litres ,hope the bigger the better theory would work on reducing my Electricity bill ,it’s nearly twice the cooling capacity hence reduce down the over all run time but also considering a dip coil (split ac)chiller option whic those air compressor type ones ,but just can’t figure out which one would be an efficient option over all e-bill and cooling wise ?

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most all chillers are all going to be about the same efficiency for the same cooling capacity. I don't see any way a larger chiller is going to reduce your electricity bill. Moving the chiller outside of the room into a non-airconditioned area would help (if this is possible). Otherwise all of the energy going into the chiller is ultimately going into heating the room which your air conditioner must then in turn remove to the outside area

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back