Chiller Size

OPL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Looking at getting a chiller in the coming weeks.

I’m currently running a 30 gallon/135 litre AIO system, currently LPS but plan on adding SPS after I’ve upgraded to either a 250/350 litre sump system later this year. Is it possible to “over size” a chiller and in turn cause other issues? The options at my LFS are both DD, good upto either 300 or 600 litres.

I’m leaning towards the 600 litre model based on the logic that it won’t be over worked and won’t need to be replaced if I upgrade again.

Any help/advise and/or recommendations welcome

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to size them appropriately. You don't to cool too fast nor short cycle the unit. However, either of those is probably fine.

I don't know if there is much of a reef scene in greater Manchester, but around me, quality used chillers are nearly always available used for pennies on the dollar, so look around.

Have you tried fans? They often can work alone if you just have them come on before it gets hot and not wait until your tank heats up.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the chiller I have the pump in the tank determines the flow and I can set my chiller to any temp...not sure if this is standard for chillers since I'm in Thailand and have only owned one but if your chiller is similar then I don't see how there would be any downside to erring on the larger side of things if you can afford it but I can definitely see problems with choosing a chiller too small

OP
OP
O

OPL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to size them appropriately. You don't to cool too fast nor short cycle the unit. However, either of those is probably fine.

I don't know if there is much of a reef scene in greater Manchester, but around me, quality used chillers are nearly always available used for pennies on the dollar, so look around.

Have you tried fans? They often can work alone if you just have them come on before it gets hot and not wait until your tank heats up.

I installed a fan last summer but it had minimal effect (ambient & tank temp peaked at roughly 29C for best part of a week, was a FOWLR set up at the time).

Unfortunately, second hand chillers in decent condition seem to be few and far between.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 133 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back