Protein skimmer problems, need suggestions!

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve been keeping a Red Sea 350 litre G2 for about a year now. I’ve been using the Red Sea skimmer that’s recommended to come with it. I didn’t know very much when I begun this journey or else I wouldn’t have bought it knowing the terrible credibility they have. My skimmed worked fine for the first 6 months, but now EVERYTIME i do any maintenance with my tank (water changes, ect) my skimmer stops bubbling. I take it out usually, soak it in vinegar and take it apart if I have to, this resolves the issues until the next water change. Thing basically only works when you first get it working, then don’t touch it or change anything in its environment even a bit. I’m over it. Was wondering what protein skimmer is the best as I just want to upgrade to something that’s simply amazing and everyone agrees on being the best or ones of the best! Please let me know, thank you! And if you know which size of it will fit in my sump and save me some measuring I’d REALLY appreciate it as my sump is the one that comes with the Red Sea 350 g2+ kit. Thank you !

72211805398__0C27A23F-178D-4E1D-BCEE-CEDCF8D8D99E.jpeg IMG_2293.jpeg 72165909148__F672C886-6AD5-42CE-A588-566921FFE83A.jpeg 72160898859__F8D94819-A4A6-498E-9A3F-B965D031740A.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Often there is a break-in period for skimmers and every time they are completely cleaned then this can reset the break-in period. There may be another issue, but over cleaning may not be helping in the mean time. There have been some issues with RS tanks, but most of their gear is solid. The G2 tanks and stands are solid and the front inside corner protectors are a nice extra that is not available on many tanks.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your nitrate level even high enough to need a skimmer?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, I’ve been keeping a Red Sea 350 litre G2 for about a year now. I’ve been using the Red Sea skimmer that’s recommended to come with it. I didn’t know very much when I begun this journey or else I wouldn’t have bought it knowing the terrible credibility they have. My skimmed worked fine for the first 6 months, but now EVERYTIME i do any maintenance with my tank (water changes, ect) my skimmer stops bubbling. I take it out usually, soak it in vinegar and take it apart if I have to, this resolves the issues until the next water change. Thing basically only works when you first get it working, then don’t touch it or change anything in its environment even a bit. I’m over it. Was wondering what protein skimmer is the best as I just want to upgrade to something that’s simply amazing and everyone agrees on being the best or ones of the best! Please let me know, thank you! And if you know which size of it will fit in my sump and save me some measuring I’d REALLY appreciate it as my sump is the one that comes with the Red Sea 350 g2+ kit. Thank you !

72211805398__0C27A23F-178D-4E1D-BCEE-CEDCF8D8D99E.jpeg IMG_2293.jpeg 72165909148__F672C886-6AD5-42CE-A588-566921FFE83A.jpeg 72160898859__F8D94819-A4A6-498E-9A3F-B965D031740A.jpeg
Raise the sump water level slightly and assure the muffler tube is Not blocked by blowing through the tube.
I assume you clean the skimmer pump periodically ?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Raise the sump water level slightly and assure the muffler tube is Not blocked by blowing through the tube.
Good call on the muffler tube. Also pouring hot water through the tube can also be helpful.

OP
OP
iwnltom

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I cleaned it once when it was not working and wasn’t even dirty, didn’t notice anything. I’ve pulled it apart once in the last year and have soaked in vinegar for 24 hours multiple times. The way the intake tube is on the Red Sea is a bit odd, so I should remove the tube from the side that connects to the float and blow into the skimmer ?

OP
OP
iwnltom

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean it by soaking it in vinegar, I took it apart once a while ago when I thought the blades may be the problem but everybting was fine and haven’t taken it apart since then, I figured the soaking and running it in vinegar was the same thing cleaning wise ? Or am I stupid and should pull it apart

OP
OP
iwnltom

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your nitrate level even high enough to need a skimmer?
Yes, well now it probably isn’t, but trust me there is an issue with the skimmer, because even with VERY low nitrates there is still a sort of throth st the top of the water to let you know the skimmer is functioning which I don’t have

OP
OP
iwnltom

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often there is a break-in period for skimmers and every time they are completely cleaned then this can reset the break-in period. There may be another issue, but over cleaning may not be helping in the mean time. There have been some issues with RS tanks, but most of their gear is solid. The G2 tanks and stands are solid and the front inside corner protectors are a nice extra that is not available on many tanks.
There have been issues with RS tanks ? Or RS skimmers ? When I got in the hobbie I was told the new G2 lines of Red Sea were top of the line? Was I bafooned by basically everyone around me and they r not top of the line lol

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMO, the G2 tanks that I have seen and have setup have been impressive. Some of the large RS tanks have had issues in the past.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No, I cleaned it once when it was not working and wasn’t even dirty, didn’t notice anything. I’ve pulled it apart once in the last year and have soaked in vinegar for 24 hours multiple times. The way the intake tube is on the Red Sea is a bit odd, so I should remove the tube from the side that connects to the float and blow into the skimmer ?
Blow through the hose that connects to the muffler piece

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back