Chloroquine phosphate

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Called the vet and they wrote me another prescription for 30grams of powder and they called it in to diamondback again for me. When I called diamondback to confirm payment and shipping info I asked to make sure it was 30grams of powder and they could only confirm that it was "30/powder" (?????) so hopefully it's right. So I had to pay diamondback again but at least I didn't have to bring another fish on and 30g will be more than I need.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Called the vet and they wrote me another prescription for 30grams of powder and they called it in to diamondback again for me. When I called diamondback to confirm payment and shipping info I asked to make sure it was 30grams of powder and they could only confirm that it was "30/powder" (?????) so hopefully it's right. So I had to pay diamondback again but at least I didn't have to bring another fish on and 30g will be more than I need.

Sorry this is costing you so much. :( The upside is once you finally have 30 grams of CP in your hands you should be set for a few years.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry this is costing you so much. :( The upside is once you finally have 30 grams of CP in your hands you should be set for a few years.
Exactly. Also I could have saved myself $40 if I'd been a little bit more clear toward the vet or double checked what I was getting with DB the first time. But even now, if I divide what I paid and add it to the cost for each fish I treat... It's still worth it.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the best way of going about things is to get a vet to prescribe CP. I cannot find one in my area that can do it within a couple weeks or for less than $400.

What are my options? I ordered 100g from Fishman Chemical who assures me it is 98.8% pure according to the sheet. Has anyone had good or back luck with his stuff?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the best way of going about things is to get a vet to prescribe CP. I cannot find one in my area that can do it within a couple weeks or for less than $400.

What are my options? I ordered 100g from Fishman Chemical who assures me it is 98.8% pure according to the sheet. Has anyone had good or back luck with his stuff?

I don't have much faith in Fishman's products. This says all you need to know: http://www.kiiitv.com/news/local/aquarium-wins-1-million-lawsuit-against-fishman-chemical/329622851

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. Also I could have saved myself $40 if I'd been a little bit more clear toward the vet or double checked what I was getting with DB the first time. But even now, if I divide what I paid and add it to the cost for each fish I treat... It's still worth it.
In an email from Diamondback ...

"Diamondback Drugs compounds this medication as CHLOROQUINE PHOSPHATE POWDER"

If you use that description you should be good.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I dosed the CP tonight. Skimmer off, carbon off, UV off. I may turn the skimmer back on with the valve open (so the water level is very low) for gas exchange, no skimming. What was the verdict on the lighting? Can I run an actinic light to see the fish? Can I run regular light? I have a Current Orbit IC Led, so it's nothing too intense. It's not a reef light.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the verdict on the lighting? Can I run an actinic light to see the fish? Can I run regular light? I have a Current Orbit IC Led, so it's nothing too intense. It's not a reef light.

You can run a regular light, only the powder itself is light sensitive.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been about 36 hours since I added the CP. The fish are all still alive. My porcupine puffer is still eating (he was the one with the bad infection) although maybe not as ferociously as before. He still has crypt grains on him. How long does it usually take until I see results? He has a bit of a cloudy eye (which he had before the CP). I was contributing this to the crypt that was on his eyes. Is that right?

I know it's doing something because my ammonia badge turned to green (0.05) so I dosed some prime to be safe. I also see my lone coral is dead (I didn't care, it came for free with a piece of rock).

Anything else I can do?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it usually take until I see results?

essentially you are waiting for the parasite to drop off the fish of it's own accord to be killed by the medicine in the water before it can reattach to the fish. It can take ich several days to drop off the fish. Give it some time.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
essentially you are waiting for the parasite to drop off the fish of it's own accord to be killed by the medicine in the water before it can reattach to the fish. It can take ich several days to drop off the fish. Give it some time.
I know, I need to be patient. I just hate seeing my buddy like that. [emoji22]

Also, I put some nori in there as well. When I got home if had a weird slime in it and the fish didn't touch it. How can I go about feeding my kole tang and foxface?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had luck enticing my kole tang with garlic and on a pvc pipe with a rubber band around it instead of on a clip.

After he got the taste for it I stopped the garlic and then put it on a clip

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had luck enticing my kole tang with garlic and on a pvc pipe with a rubber band around it instead of on a clip.

After he got the taste for it I stopped the garlic and then put it on a clip
I'm not sure if that's the issue. I think he would eat it if it wasn't all slimy

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side question:

What is the turnaround time everyone has seen with Diamondback?

I was finally able to find a vet that wrote me a script and called it in yesterday.

I was shooting for a prophylactic treatment in my qt tank but they broke with ich last night. Had no choice but to dose with copper.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side question:

I was finally able to find a vet that wrote me a script and called it in yesterday.

I was shooting for a prophylactic treatment in my qt tank but they broke with ich last night. Had no choice but to dose with copper.
They shipped mine priority mail from AZ so had it 2 days after they shipped. Think my vet appointment was a Monday and they called it in that day, shipped Tuesday, I had it Thursday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I put some nori in there as well. When I got home if had a weird slime in it and the fish didn't touch it. How can I go about feeding my kole tang and foxface?

Not sure about the slime, but CP has a metallic taste to it which I'm sure nori absorbs. I think Dr G's adds something to their CP laced food to make it more palatable.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side question:

Mine took a bit longer, I had my vet appointment on March 30 (Thursday) and received my cp on Friday of the next week. I just reordered more last Monday and it is supposed to arrive today but we'll see. This is with the cheapest shipping option, and I'm in Pennsylvania. It was processed and shipped out quickly, though, so if you're close to Arizona it'll probably be faster.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 79 79.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back