Choosing a Tang

ReefGirlSara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it is a common topic, but I am torn between a Chocolate Tang, a Lavendar Tang, and Powder Brown or Blue Tang.

I have a 240 gallon tank, it is 8x2x2. I have a 5-6 inch Regal tang that will be going in this tank. I want something with interesting features and personality.

I know the powders can be difficult in the beginning, so they are at the bottom of the list right now.

The Lavendar is pretty, but I have only seen a couple in person. They might be too 'plain' as far as color goes.

The chocolate tang was what I wanted originally, but I keep changing my mind. Any help would be much appreciated.

The tank will be a mixed reed, with blue green chromis, the regal tang, a pair of pajama cardinals, a mandarin, a flasher wrasse, and a pair of ocellaris clowns - they are all moving over from my 90.

OP
OP
R

ReefGirlSara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be neat to have a small school of tangs - do you think my 5-6 inch regal is too big to tolerate 2 other regal tangs? That might be too many big tangs though when they all grow up...I don't know.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will this be your last tang?

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lavender and my friend has one. They are a little plain, but they are very beautiful. They are the type of fish that you admire up close, not from across the room. Here are a few pics of mine.
DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful fish!

roshi719

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Rev. It had a reserved beauty that I loved. Lost her in my last tank move though.

OP
OP
R

ReefGirlSara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Thank you for the beautiful picture of the lavendar. Makes this an even tougher decision. What do you guys think about combining the existing regal tang with a lavendar AND a chocolate? I am trying to practice self-control, and just pick one, but it is very hard to do. I don't know if this would be the final tang for the tank, if I got both then yes, definitely.

I did want to get three heniochus diphreutus for this tank....but I am starting to think that might be pushing the bio load too much, especially if I end up with 3 tangs. I don't know, the only other addition I am planning on is a helfrichi firefish. What do you guys think about all this - and in what order would you add these fish?

roshi719

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say, if you did both I would add them at the same time. I would hesitate on doing the lavender and chocolate, as they are both acanthurus and somewhat close in adult coloration. I would think the lavender and powder blue would do fine together. Why not do the lavender and a zebrasoma of some sort. Perhaps a purple or a desjardini sailfin.

mak060

Reluctant Zoa Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That lavender is really pretty. I also like the Scopas Tang, which is pretty common, only about $30, well-mannered, and subtly beautiful I think. Here's the one I have (sorry for the dark shot):

Jays01.jpg

OP
OP
R

ReefGirlSara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think a 240 is too small for a small school of tangs? I was thinking of 3 or 4 purples or yellows, or maybe the regals since I already have one. He is just really big so I don't know if he'd get along with other regals.

I can not make up my mind on this tang situation. Originally I was thinking I'd just get a Chocolate and keep my regal, so that would be two tangs, and then have a small school (3-4) of Heniochus diphreutus. Those are kinda hard to pick out from the Heniochus acuminatus, so I'm not sure about doing that.

Any thoughts or opinions that would help me decide? School of tangs or school of Heniochus? Or no schools at all?

Mockery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do an Achilles, you have to have water movement like cazy! There was a guy on my local club that had one in that size tank and it died, partially because lack of oxygenation. IMHO if you want one of these you needs lots of wide type of flow like the ones given from tunze and vortechs.

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do an Achilles, you have to have water movement like cazy! There was a guy on my local club that had one in that size tank and it died, partially because lack of oxygenation. IMHO if you want one of these you needs lots of wide type of flow like the ones given from tunze and vortechs.

a tank that size with a couple vortechs would be plenty for one. as long as you got a good achilles tang.

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Achilles tangs flourish in tanks that have surges on them. They come from tidal areas in Hawaii and are happiest getting blasted by waves are regular intervals. Some may survive for a time in a tank with powerheads for flow, but it's not the same as water being dumped into a tank. There is a LFS here that has a surge device on his tank and the difference it makes is amazing. A Tunze wave box may or may not give you what you need. There is a ton of oxygen mixed into the water with a surge and the Achilles just love to play in those micro bubbles. My doctor just bought a 12' x 3' tank and I'm helping plan a surge to be placed on one end, simply cause he always wanted a school of Achilles tangs. The tank wer'e planning will drop 20 gallons of water 4 times a minute. At least surge devices are one of the easy DIY fixes, everything from the local hardware store.
Have you thought of a Tennant tang...they are beautiful IMO.

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at the lfs here there is one that has been fine for a year with wavemaker and powerheads in a 1000+gallon system total

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bling...I'm not saying some won't survive..they are far and away the exception, not the rule. I'm saying to be their best and to show their natural ways to the fullest, then a surge device should be employed.

Kevin34

zoa and aussie acan crazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one tang that I think is seriously overlooked is the lieutenant tang. they are a beautiful fish and I have heard nothing but great things about their personality. Never pick on anyone but wont let another fish push them around. I plan on getting one for my 125 in the near future.

lt.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 87 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 13.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back