Choosing the BEST Salt Mix - And Popular Salt Parameters!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna be honest here: I buy better salt on initial fill up and buy “whatever” for water changes…

if there is a noticeable difference I’d be lying if I kept notes or kept track of any changes or difference. I couldn’t possibly parse out what the salt affected vs normal tank”drift”
I’ve never seen any data proving your salt choice makes any difference whatsoever, again I’m sure it makes a difference, but what is it?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, there are reasons to select a salt mix that intentionally doesn't match your tank, and that works especially well when you use very frequent small water changes.

here are some scenarios where that is desirable.

1. When you are using water changes to supply alk and calcium to a lower demand tank. In that case, it is appropriate to use a salt mix with high alk and calcium, even if your tank is lower. In fact, that's the only way they can keep up.

2. It makes sense to choose a low calcium mix when using a method with slight excess calcium, such as kalkwasser/limewater, and All For Reef. That keeps the calcium from rising too much long term. I used this method with normal IO and limewater.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 96 76.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back