OP
NanoReefNovice

NanoReefNovice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im pretty sure im not supposed to dip it in iodine. I wasnt trying to dip for anything especially, just a preventative dip. good link, thx!

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing to do with clams for prevention is quarantine them in a separate stress free quarantine tank.

I wouldn't dip it.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read were people do a freshwater dip, but I've never done it myself.
Do you have other clams in your tank? If so, I would quarantine if the source is questionable.

I

inactive

View Badges
You can bring the clam to my house and QT it in my tank, but if it attaches you can't have it back....

...do you feel lucky? Well?

Nick_kun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What works for me is Fresh water dip. I have a Squamossa clam plagued with vermitid snails when I got him and I did a FW dip for about 15-20min. That was probably a year and half ago. Recently the clam caught pinch mantle and I did another 20min dip in FW and it slowly cured the pinch mantle. Now he's happy as a clam ;)

OP
OP
NanoReefNovice

NanoReefNovice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing to do with clams for prevention is quarantine them in a separate stress free quarantine tank.

I wouldn't dip it.

i know i should really set up a quarantine tank....

I've read were people do a freshwater dip, but I've never done it myself.
Do you have other clams in your tank? If so, I would quarantine if the source is questionable.

This is my first clam and yea i heard FW dip for pyramid snails... I didnt see any.

You can bring the clam to my house and QT it in my tank, but if it attaches you can't have it back....

...do you feel lucky? Well?

Not that lucky. hahahaha

After a long acclimation and no dip the clam in in my tank and im not sure its in the best of health, ill post of some pics in a min. :(

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I freshwater dipped a huge squamosa I had, cured pinched mantle and Im sure elliminated anything else on it. I actually did it for about 24 hrs... I forgot about him and left him untill I got home from work the next day!! Still alive years later.

OP
OP
NanoReefNovice

NanoReefNovice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What works for me is Fresh water dip. I have a Squamossa clam plagued with vermitid snails when I got him and I did a FW dip for about 15-20min. That was probably a year and half ago. Recently the clam caught pinch mantle and I did another 20min dip in FW and it slowly cured the pinch mantle. Now he's happy as a clam ;)

Good info, thanks

OP
OP
NanoReefNovice

NanoReefNovice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I freshwater dipped a huge squamosa I had, cured pinched mantle and Im sure elliminated anything else on it. I actually did it for about 24 hrs... I forgot about him and left him untill I got home from work the next day!! Still alive years later.

WOW! i guess i shoulnt be paranoid about it in FW.

OP
OP
NanoReefNovice

NanoReefNovice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clamy is not in the best of health :(

I think its a Tridacna crocea
CIMG5528.jpg

I put it on its side so i can get a better pic, and i was planning on moving it up on the rocks once it acclimates to the new lighting.

Does it look like it can pull though? Should i do anything?

Thanks

Last edited:

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn it right side up and don't bother it, every time you touch it will cause more stress.

The clam does definitely look stressed.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic but since everyone seems that FWD's are the cure all I thought I would add this:

FWD's are extremely stressful, I only suggest them as a last resort. If your clam has PM you should try to rid the clam of it by running lots of carbon with lots of flow through it. If this doesn't work then try the FWD.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams are out of the water and rained on the wild for hours all the time. Its normal for them.

In my opinion, if a clam is going to die, its going to be from the issue it has and not from a fresh water dip - if done correctly matching PH and Temperature - that is the only stress I can see it would add.
That is just my personal opinion and experience.
It is also something that I read in Fatheree's book and he seems to know his stuff.

No two reefers are alike, we all have our own little "formula" of what has worked for us.
This happens to be mine.

aerius007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally dipped one of mine in revive when I first got it. I bought it with a ton of acans, grabbed in the bucket, put it in the solution and then freaked out when I couldnt find the clam. Luckily, it didnt seem the least bit effected.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 38 42.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 6.7%
Back