clam question

Zoalover34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should you look for before you get a clam? I was at the lfs today and saw a really nice looking clam.. It had electric blue lines in it.. It was 60 bucks, don't remember what kind it was tho.. Just wanted to know basically how to tell if it's healthy or not.. Thanks!

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should really find out what kind of clam it was to know where you should place it in your tank.

As for a healthy clam, I look for a mantle that isn't pinched at all, opened very wide in other words. Also the larger opening(the name escapes me) should be open but not gaping. Another test I do is move my hand in front of the clam and make sure it is quick and responsive to shadows. Also, it has been said that clams over 3" do much better in our tanks because they rely more on the photosynthesis than they do filter feeding. HTH

Old School Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also ask the clerk at the store to show you the underside of the clam. Look on the foot for tiny horn shaped snails (Pyramid Snails). They prey on clams and will certainly kill them.

Pyramidsnails.jpg

rc_Ray%20D_sig.png

OP
OP
Zoalover34

Zoalover34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I planned on finding out what kind it was before I bought it.. Never thought I would try a clam but this 1 looks really nice.. It's in a plastic dish at the store.. When I walked by the tank it closed up really fast from the movement I suppose.. Whats a pinched mantle look like? Is the mantle the inside of the clam? Sorry for the stupid questions, just thought I would ask before I bought it

Old School Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I planned on finding out what kind it was before I bought it.. Never thought I would try a clam but this 1 looks really nice.. It's in a plastic dish at the store.. When I walked by the tank it closed up really fast from the movement I suppose.. Whats a pinched mantle look like? Is the mantle the inside of the clam? Sorry for the stupid questions, just thought I would ask before I bought it

Not stupid questions at all! Better to ask than to buy the clam and lose it becuase of information you may not have.

I think it's a wise choice to ask before you buy. We should ALL practice that.

rc_Ray%20D_sig.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zoalover34

Zoalover34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I just called the lfs and they said it was a ultra maxima for 69.99.. Is that a good price? Im gonna try and get up there tomorrow and get a pic so I can post it so you guys can tell me if it's healthy looking or not.. Im pretty sure it was over 3"

reefz3ro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the maxima clams require stonger lighting compared to derasa , squamosa or gigas

aerius007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Derasa are fairly easy to keep. I have a couple in my tank and they do great on the sand. $69.99 seems a bit much for a clam that small but it is nice if its the one I saw, just maybe not $70 nice.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on colors and if it is 3''+ that is a fair price for a Ultra Maxima.....Look around on line to compare if you need to, most these days fall well short of 3'' and around the same price. Dr. Fosters and Smith Live aquaria have some really nice ones and almost all of them are over $70 as well with Clams Direct......The only thing I can think of if it is being called an Ultra Maxima and it isn't then that is a bit steep......

aerius007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on colors and if it is 3''+ that is a fair price for a Ultra Maxima.....Look around on line to compare if you need to, most these days fall well short of 3'' and around the same price. Dr. Fosters and Smith Live aquaria have some really nice ones and almost all of them are over $70 as well with Clams Direct......The only thing I can think of if it is being called an Ultra Maxima and it isn't then that is a bit steep......

I would take his word over mine for sure. It was a couple of weeks ago that I saw it and it looked fine at the time, I didnt notice it gaping or anything. Maybe $70 isnt so bad. If maximas are harder to keep I would look into a derasa for a first try at clams, but Im no expert. Maybe make them an offer, who knows maybe they would like to get rid of it.

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure it can close all the way when scared and that it closes fast. Also make sure it doesn't have a pinched mantel. I think clams are a lot easyier to keep then most people make them out to be. I just feed mine once a week and I have never lost a clam.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 44 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 48 48.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 7.1%

Back