Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium? (select all that apply)

• Razor blade

Votes: 197 64.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 82 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 109 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 51 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 80 26.0%

• Total voters

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone who is using the magic eraser- the product is designed to break off small particles to avoid scratching things. Is that not a concern in the tank?
Not one concern ever.they have to be the original though. Been using them since 2006 never had one issue.

HaiFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

Cleaning that aquarium glass, inside and out, is a key part of enjoying our reef tanks and being able to see and enjoy everything that is going on in our aquatic ecosystems. While some reef keepers are more detailed than others and some clean the glass far more frequently than others, this is a part of the tank maintenance for most of us. In addition to the improved viewing, there are other functional reasons to clean the glass such as algae control and removal. Now that most of us agree that we should be cleaning the inside of the aquarium glass with some level of regularity (we can agree on that, right?), let’s think about how to do it. For your tank, how do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium? Please share your approach and if you have any tips or tricks for cleaning.

Tunze_CleanGlass.jpg

Photo by Tunze

If you are looking for additional tips on cleaning your aquarium glass, then please consider reading the R2R article on How to Scrape Glass and Acrylic.

Additionally, there is a few more days to enter the Tunze giveaway where you may be able to win a Tunze Premium Glass Care pack.

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tckcorals.com

TCKBanner.png
I use a razor blade some of the time, but I love using the magnetic cleaner!

CKW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank with a curved glass front. (Never again!) it’s a pain to keep the glass clean. I use a plastic blade scraper (Amazon Cheep). I also use a scratch free kitchen pad.
Now front seemed like a nice idea however glass cleaning is a pain AND the curved glass distortion makes picture taking and viewing difficult b

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap petco large magnetic scrubber and razor blade on telescopic pole and toothbrush for corners. On the outside glass I use automotive carnauba wax and a microfiber cloth. This makes glass sparkle and resistant to fingerprints, beads any splashed water and more resistant to water stains. Just like waxing a car.
Thank you for the waxy tip. Im doing it because i love the sparkle look!

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Tunze Care Magnet.

And then replace the scrapers with these 4D ceramic retrofits. They cut through coralline like butter.

a1abeach

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a razor blade some of the time, but I love using the magnetic cleaner!
I’m not sure I understand about the magic erasers. Are you actually putting them in the tank and cleaning the glass? They don’t have soap in them or any kind of cleaning product ?

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a stainless steel pad I divide to get a thinner pad and adhere it to a strong Sicce pump magnet. It is an "algae magnet" that works nearly like a blade and removes even thin layers of calcified algae. It makes almost never scratches (after years of use in several tanks), much less so than blades.

The steel pad cleaner must be taken out of the tank and flushed with freshwater when not in use.

Here how my cleaner looks like. The steel pad is already "crumbled" a bit due to use.

Algenmagnet 1.JPG
Algenmagnet 2.JPG

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure I understand about the magic erasers. Are you actually putting them in the tank and cleaning the glass? They don’t have soap in them or any kind of cleaning product ?
Yes inside the tank they work magic and no the original ones don’t have anything harmful to reefs. They are basically just melamine.

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On one of my tanks, it is a acrylic 120 gallon... To clean the inside of my tank I use a Piranha Float Magnet with 25000 grit wet sandpaper silicone glued on to thin white scrubby pad... I don't really ever have to clean the inside very often. *BUT when I do it polishes it so, so, nice..! I sanded the whole inside of it about 10 years ago. It took 2 days off and on. With regular ole wet-dry sandpaper 400, then 600, then 1000, 2000, 3500, 4500, 8000, 12000, lastly 18,000 full of water! At that point there was no reason to go any finer because of the human eye cant see anything difference past that.... 100% absolutely crystal clear..! I also put 3 inchs on my arms as well.. lol. And it really was so easy just a little bit at a time end to end, top to bottom. **But if you scratch your glass tank -- your done / live with it.. I will NEVER use a razor blade on any glass tank ever again.. I have a few of them. My glass 90 gallon I have had it some 30+ years and it has a lot of slight razor blade marks on the front glass... lol. Never again will I. :)

Last edited:

Reef Rhino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two other things that haven't been mentioned:

1. Rotifers. I do notice that the glass needs to be cleaned less frequently with live Phyto and daily added Rotifers. You still do need the other techniques, just less frequently.

2. A soft sponge works in the days that follow a razor blade cleaning. But wait too long and a razor blade is again required to get off what is hard and thickened.

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back