Cloudy Tank!!

Redseadragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though it will resolve itself in a matter of 2-3 days if it is just sediment. If it is microbial it will take probably a week or so.

Bluelobstor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The olite is fine unless you are planning on high flow rate within tank, even then u just need proper placement of power heads. I have fine sand that's stirs up when I'm cleaning the glass but it doesn't make water cloudy. I find that water clears up by morning after adding sand esp. with a power filter that contains floss. I would add salt as soon as you know u won't be draining the water. Personally I like saltwater, live rock, then sand that way you can guarantee a solid base for you rock work as the rock should sit on the glass for stability esp. if your critters like to dig.

OP
OP
T

tierbett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though it will resolve itself in a matter of 2-3 days if it is just sediment. If it is microbial it will take probably a week or so.

I am fairly certain it is sedimentary. It only clouded after I put the sand in the water.

OP
OP
T

tierbett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The olite is fine unless you are planning on high flow rate within tank, even then u just need proper placement of power heads. I have fine sand that's stirs up when I'm cleaning the glass but it doesn't make water cloudy. I find that water clears up by morning after adding sand esp. with a power filter that contains floss. I would add salt as soon as you know u won't be draining the water. Personally I like saltwater, live rock, then sand that way you can guarantee a solid base for you rock work as the rock should sit on the glass for stability esp. if your critters like to dig.

I plan on putting a dwarf lionfish in the tank. From what I understand they do not need much water flow. Will the olite cloud up the tank whenever a fish or I disturb it?

OP
OP
T

tierbett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I put the sand in the tank about 30 hours ago and can just barely see through the cloudiness to the back of the tank now.

OP
OP
T

tierbett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't plan on any corals. I'm glad to hear that. I would hate to have a cloudy tank every time I move something in it.

Slm222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is a virtue with this.

If it's cloudy and you still just have freshwater I would disturb the bed as much as you can and siphon as much water and junk as you can out. Fill back up and repeat as needed, then get it filled with saltwater.

Slm222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But as stated above the cloudiness goes away. Mine was cloudy for a couple days. Now when I mess with the sand bed it's just small pieces of sand that blow around then settle quickly

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 186 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%

Back