Clownfish and small rbta.

what_isTHIS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question, my clownfish hosted a very small 2 inch anemone and can't even get fully covered and I have a fish literally stalking him. If I bought another bigger rbta and put it right next to the current one he hosts, will he host both? How do clownfish know what anemone they host?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question, my clownfish hosted a very small 2 inch anemone and can't even get fully covered and I have a fish literally stalking him. If I bought another bigger rbta and put it right next to the current one he hosts, will he host both? How do clownfish know what anemone they host?

Yes, clownfish can host more than one anemone. If they will, that's a different question all together! :) I have a couple of maroon clowns in a smaller project tank- they seem quite happy with most of the anemones they have had in there.

As to how they know which one(s) they're hosting?

"... Clownfish use their sense of smell to recognize the unique odor of the anemone they want to host. They explore and find an anemone with a matching scent, forming a symbiotic relationship with it. The chemical signals and behaviors ensure a successful partnership between the clownfish and their chosen anemone." - Google :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back