Clownfish bloated after every meal for last few months

RaymondNoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish has been getting extremely bloated after every meal for the last few months. He struggles to stay down in the water column for an hour or two after eating, then eventually he farts/poops and returns to normal. He will usually spend a good portion of that hour floating upside down underneath the anemone in order to get a break and catch his breath. I have been feeding him bits of peas occasionally for the last 2 months which hasn't seemed to make a difference. 2 or 3 months ago I added Hikari seaweed extreme for the added fiber which also hasn't helped. I feed twice most days; breakfast is Reef Nutrition flakes, Hikari Marine S pellets and Hikari seaweed extreme pellets. Dinner is LRS Reef Frenzy. About once per week I soak the food in Selcon. I always soak the food in tank water for a few minutes prior to feeding and make sure it stays down in the water column. Tank is 2 years old and I have had this fish for 1 year and 8 months. Tank mates are diamond goby, blue springeri damsel, cleaner shrimp and a couple snails. No issues with the other inhabitants. When I got the clownfish he was pretty mature already, about 2-2.5" long and has grown about 1 inch in this tank. I made a YouTube video showing what happens after feeding. Here's a video I made a couple nights ago

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My clownfish has been getting extremely bloated after every meal for the last few months. He struggles to stay down in the water column for an hour or two after eating, then eventually he farts/poops and returns to normal. He will usually spend a good portion of that hour floating upside down underneath the anemone in order to get a break and catch his breath. I have been feeding him bits of peas occasionally for the last 2 months which hasn't seemed to make a difference. 2 or 3 months ago I added Hikari seaweed extreme for the added fiber which also hasn't helped. I feed twice most days; breakfast is Reef Nutrition flakes, Hikari Marine S pellets and Hikari seaweed extreme pellets. Dinner is LRS Reef Frenzy. About once per week I soak the food in Selcon. I always soak the food in tank water for a few minutes prior to feeding and make sure it stays down in the water column. Tank is 2 years old and I have had this fish for 1 year and 8 months. Tank mates are diamond goby, blue springeri damsel, cleaner shrimp and a couple snails. No issues with the other inhabitants. When I got the clownfish he was pretty mature already, about 2-2.5" long and has grown about 1 inch in this tank. I made a YouTube video showing what happens after feeding. Here's a video I made a couple nights ago
Soaking the food in water is not a hazard but causes the food to swell.
Peas are an old method for goldfish and simply does not work in marine setting and can cause constipation and the farting you mention. These fish are not herbivores and seaweed extreme can be replaced with TDO pellets. other foods to offer for digestion and help with passing dry foods are Brine shrimp and Mysis shrimp. For added spirulina- they both come in spirulina version.
Video shows as Private.
What is your salinity-temp-PH ?

OP
OP
RaymondNoodles

RaymondNoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soaking the food in water is not a hazard but causes the food to swell.
Peas are an old method for goldfish and simply does not work in marine setting and can cause constipation and the farting you mention. These fish are not herbivores and seaweed extreme can be replaced with TDO pellets. other foods to offer for digestion and help with passing dry foods are Brine shrimp and Mysis shrimp. For added spirulina- they both come in spirulina version.
Video shows as Private.
What is your salinity-temp-PH ?
Thanks. The video should be public now. SG 1.025. PH 8-8.1. I noticed LRS reef frenzy includes mysis, but I will try supplementing with straight mysis and brine shrimp. I'll stop feeding peas and seaweed extreme. Thanks for the suggestions.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
can't make heads or tails out of the explanation. however - you might want to feed less dry food and more frozen. I'm not sure you need to soak your food in selcon. IMHO - your clownfish is getting too many pellets/dry food - OR - your clown could be eggbound

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Been cutting grass and the whole nine yards. Just had a chance to see video. Food is my suspect as it would not subside if egg bound as I have four breeder girls who remain fat until eggs are dropped.
Feed half the food you do in portion and see if it is less with the bloat and you will then know food/pellets as a suspect. Other issue may also be something known as edema which is a general condition related to the fish being unable to maintain its bodily fluids until expelled.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So - the clown is definitely showing positive buoyancy. I've seen that in fish that are fed flake food at the surface. In your fish's case, there is a behavioral component as well - that constant feeding at the surface, even when there doesn't seem to be food there. I can see the fish blowing out bubbles afterwards - no doubt, it is ingesting some air at the same time. I've only seen this once before, in a Genicanthus angelfish. We stopped feeding that fish with floating food and the problem go better over time. In this case, I think you should try one more thing - add a fine air stone to the tank to disrupt the surface of the water. that may help break that behavior.

Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back